Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For a number of years now I've had problems with low self esteem, low self-confidence and lacking motivation. I'm not completely sure what started this off because it's been like this for so long, but over the past year or so it seems to have got worse.

I started uni last year and certain circumstances meant that I didn't make many friends. I made a group of friends on my course but I don't feel like I'm *really* good friends with any of them. I have no one I'm actually close to here. On top of that I'm doing a very difficult course and most of the time I feel like I'm not good enough to be doing it, all my friends are smarter than me and I just feel so stupid.

I just feel like everything's going wrong for me, and I'm always wondering why I don't have what everyone else has. Everyone else seems to have a great social life and they don't seem to be too bothered when they get a bad mark on coursework or a test, but it really bothers me when I do because it just validates my feelings of being too thick for my degree. I do get decent marks most of the time but this doesn't seem to make any difference, I'm always comparing myself to my friends and asking them for help with work which I don't want to do, I should be able to do it by myself.

I don't think I've been truly happy in years, but I've always thought this was just part of my personality, maybe I'm just a bit of a miserable person. I'm happy sometimes, but there's always this underlying feeling that I'm just not good enough (I'm not smart enough, pretty enough,etc.) and nothing's ever going to go right for me. I don't cry over it really, and I don't self-harm or think about suicide so I never thought anything might actually be wrong, but now I'm not so sure.

Am I being dramatic or is it something I should be concerned about?

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like you may be suffering from depression. Your uni will have a counselling service, why not try it, you could also see your GP and discuss treatment to help you. Its good that you're recognising there's a problem, next step is asking for help

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you have low self-esteem. You are not alone! I had very low self esteem socially when at Uni, struggled to make friends etc, though everyone had 'something' that I didn't (sounds horribly familiar!)

Maybe it goes along with depression, in which case there is treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a visit to your GP would help. I'm not sure whether you have clinical depression, but it does sound as though you could do with some counselling to change your way of thinking about things.

One thing that I DO know, however, is that comparing yourself with other people is NEVER going to be helpful, and will ALWAYS make you feel bad. Social networking makes this ridiculously easy to do, because you will always find people who are "better" than you.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to concur with others that you do sound like you are suffering from depression and should probably take steps to deal with it.

On the whole 'friends seem to be doing better than me with ease' front, I'd like to tell you of a small thing that I happened to learn. It's overwhelmingly likely that those people who seem to be doing better than you with ease are trying their absolute hardest and even then are probably just bluffing for the most part. After all, the phrase 'fake it till you make it' is quite common.

Well there's my not so interesting advice!

On top of that my friends all seem closer to each other than they are to me and seem to prefer their company to mine, so it just makes me think no one actually gives a **** about me. I know that's most likely wrong, but I just can't help feeling like that. I'm always looking for validation that they do actually like me which is just sad :/

Bump

I'm not sure speaking to a GP would help, I would just feel like I'm being dramatic and wasting their time, I've heard many GPs don't take mental health issues seriously anyway. I'm not totally convinced I have depression but I really wish I could stop feeling like this so frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly many GPS on hearing/suspecting depression will get out the green pad and prescribe antidepressants. But don;t dismiss these. They have bolstered my self esteem several times when I needed it. And you may be offered counselling if you put a case that you need it, although I would go through uni, when I had uni counselling, it happened much quicker than through the NHS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not sure speaking to a GP would help, I would just feel like I'm being dramatic and wasting their time, I've heard many GPs don't take mental health issues seriously anyway. I'm not totally convinced I have depression but I really wish I could stop feeling like this so frequently.
    Thats actually very normal when you have depression. Also, you don't know if you don't try.

At the end of the day, you're obviously not happy with the way things are, and your post does suggest fairly typical depression. Feeling the way you do so frequently is the main symptom of depression, and if you really want things to change, then you're the only one who can take the steps to do so, first ones being accepting there's an issue (which you're doing) and taking steps to deal with that or asking for help to do so. If you don't feel you want to see a doctor at this stage, you don't have to, but it would be worth seeing if there are any counselling services in your area you can self refer to. If you didn't need some help of some kind, you wouldn't have made this thread, I'm just trying to point you to the best places to get that, because, as much as online forums can be supportive and a place to vent, we can't offer the help you really need.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.