Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    this is very un-christian of me, i know. but i've just had enough of inept people who do very basic and mundane jobs which hardly require any brain power and yet they cannot even do these properly. those people will probably neg rep me for this post, and i understand people get tired etc. but if you cant do your job, then dont do it.

for example: shop workers: you queue for 30 mins and when you finally reach the front of the mile long queue to be served by the only person serving, they do not know how to carry out credit card transaction and either have to call a supervisor which takes ages or b) do it wrong then you have to queue again to get it sorted out.

train ticket vendors: when i ask for a return ticket/ a ticket to X i do not want to buy a single ticket/ a ticket to Y, i want to buy a return ticket. if you issue me with a single ticket i will not be happy to queue up again and pay another amout to buy the ticket i originally asked for.

taxi drivers: if you do not know how to get to my destination, then do not offer to drive me there, or worse still, do not drive about for 30 mins before telling me you have no idea where we are

hotel workers/receptionists: if i make a booking, i expect there to be a record of that booking when i arrive. i do not expect to arrive at a hotel at a quarter to midnight after a long journey only to be told 'sorry we do not have a record of your booking' and have to serch the whole city for another hotel

librarians: when uni students hide the books and they are not on the shelf where they should be, i do not want you to look up the reference number, take ages finding the shelf i've spent half an hour looking through only for you to declare ' its not there! i dont know where it is, sorry'. ditto for cab drivers

shop workers: if i go to a shop and ask 'where do you sell X', i do not expect 'i dunno' then walk off. if you cannot help, please refer me to someone who can

market workers: if you cannot add up the prices then buy yourself a calculator. do not short change me .

waitresses: if i order a dish, i expect to eat that dish. i will not be happy if you bring me the wrong dish, or worse still, keep me waiting for an hour and a half only to ask again 'did you order something'

these are hardly the most difficult of jobs. is it really too much to ask for people to do them properly? i know i sound spoiled and snobby, but it really annoys me, especially the hotel one. they've lost my booking 3 times so far this week good thing i keep calling to confirm. i just keep re-booking. the receptionist probably has better things to do. like paint her nails.
    :mad:
    - END RANT -

anyone else have this problem?

ReputationRep:
    People need to learn, they need to be trained. From the sounds of it most of that was not down to general incompetence, these people had obviously not been on the job for long. People make mistakes, and are not infallible...and in all honesty, nearly all of those jobs are low paying, where the person truly just does not care, because they are not getting paid enough too.

As a Christian, you may wish to learn empathy, understanding and forgiveness. Or are you Catholic....

Chill, ****e happens. You only make it worse by getting angry surely?

ReputationRep:
    No. Not everyone's like you.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't have that problem.

ReputationRep:
    grr i guess im just mad at having to re book my hotel 3 times in one week. i guess i should be more kindly, and i know it is wrong to be mad, but it still annoys me sometimes, especially if i am in a hurry

EDIT: it works both ways though, if i am in a hurry and i get good service i often tip generously and am very grateful, especially to cabbies

ReputationRep:
    They don't sound like difficult jobs, but seriously, sit at a till for several hours straight yourself sometime, I bet you make loads of mistakes. You can't retain full alertness when your job provides no mental stimulation.
    Have you ever had a job yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    this is very un-christian of me, i know. but i've just had enough of inept people who do very basic and mundane jobs which hardly require any brain power and yet they cannot even do these properly. those people will probably neg rep me for this post, and i understand people get tired etc. but if you cant do your job, then dont do it.

for example: shop workers: you queue for 30 mins and when you finally reach the front of the mile long queue to be served by the only person serving, they do not know how to carry out credit card transaction and either have to call a supervisor which takes ages or b) do it wrong then you have to queue again to get it sorted out.

train ticket vendors: when i ask for a return ticket/ a ticket to X i do not want to buy a single ticket/ a ticket to Y, i want to buy a return ticket. if you issue me with a single ticket i will not be happy to queue up again and pay another amout to buy the ticket i originally asked for.

taxi drivers: if you do not know how to get to my destination, then do not offer to drive me there, or worse still, do not drive about for 30 mins before telling me you have no idea where we are

hotel workers/receptionists: if i make a booking, i expect there to be a record of that booking when i arrive. i do not expect to arrive at a hotel at a quarter to midnight after a long journey only to be told 'sorry we do not have a record of your booking' and have to serch the whole city for another hotel

librarians: when uni students hide the books and they are not on the shelf where they should be, i do not want you to look up the reference number, take ages finding the shelf i've spent half an hour looking through only for you to declare ' its not there! i dont know where it is, sorry'. ditto for cab drivers

shop workers: if i go to a shop and ask 'where do you sell X', i do not expect 'i dunno' then walk off. if you cannot help, please refer me to someone who can

market workers: if you cannot add up the prices then buy yourself a calculator. do not short change me .

waitresses: if i order a dish, i expect to eat that dish. i will not be happy if you bring me the wrong dish, or worse still, keep me waiting for an hour and a half only to ask again 'did you order something'

these are hardly the most difficult of jobs. is it really too much to ask for people to do them properly? i know i sound spoiled and snobby, but it really annoys me, especially the hotel one. they've lost my booking 3 times so far this week good thing i keep calling to confirm. i just keep re-booking. the receptionist probably has better things to do. like paint her nails.
    :mad:
    - END RANT -

anyone else have this problem?
    You sound like a complete *******. Some people work 8 hour shifts as waiters etc, don't blame them if they forget one order.

Have you ever worked a day in your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    You sound like a complete *******. Some people work 8 hour shifts as waiters etc, don't blame them if they forget one order.
    try a ten hour shift listening to people like shiny_toy filled with thier own self importance shout at you. I work for the NHS and my staff sometimes get treated like utter trash. Luckily most of them know how to handle it

However three time booking a hotel in one week is a bit excessive so i fully understand her annoyance there

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I've done plenty of jobs like that and I still see her point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    Actually, I've done plenty of jobs like that and I still see her point...

why could you not do the most basic of jobs, explains why youve had several i guess *that was a joke* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    why could you not do the most basic of jobs, explains why youve had several i guess *that was a joke* :p:
    :p:

I go back to my most recent job in the holidays and am constantly amazed at how rubbish my successor is compared to me. And the other ones I quit once I'd found something better paid elsewhere, which is why in the space of two years I went from earning £3.60/hour to around £10.70/hour. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    grr i guess im just mad at having to re book my hotel 3 times in one week. i guess i should be more kindly, and i know it is wrong to be mad, but it still annoys me sometimes, especially if i am in a hurry
    Find a different hotel..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot Fairy)
    :p:

I go back to my most recent job in the holidays and am constantly amazed at how rubbish my successor is compared to me. And the other ones I quit once I'd found something better paid elsewhere, which is why in the space of two years I went from earning £3.60/hour to around £10.70/hour. :p:
    i know what you mean, when i got my management training before going to my current job the people i then had to look after to those who who started when i did were vastly inferior, sometimes it was like dealing with a bunch of chimps

ReputationRep:
    i work in tesco atm and i actually hate how people assume i'm like the rest of the "mundane workers". im currently on a gap year, resitting my a levels cos i wasnt happy with them, but working full time in order to earn some money. Ok so maybe you do get to the end of a queue and something goes wrong. but s*** happens.

The same can actually be said for customers. I get treated appallingly because the majority of customers assume i'm a dropout who is going nowhere in life. in actual fact i'm going to do speech and language therapy at uni next year.

At my store, we've had a lot of problems with tills recently. they keep breaking. Last week i was on a till which the scales had broken on. Knowing what the customers are like, i put up THREE signs saying "no weighed items, sorry for any inconvenience" blahblahblah. So the customers don't read my signs, tell me i need more, tell me i need bigger ones. One woman was literally screaming at me telling me it wasn't what she called service. I was very polite and was like "with the greatest of respect madam, you were prewarned, there are three signs." to that she replied that we should have called an engineer out immediately.

What people don't seem to realise is that if there is a problem instore, it's often out of our control. The engineer had been called and still hasn't turned up despite many calls from our managers. But what can I, the humble till ***** do about that??

ReputationRep:
    And taxi drivers, one drove me the wrong direction to work the other day. It's a 5 minute journey. My dad was like, well they often come from miles away. They should still either know where they're going or use satnav. i know this guys was working, cos he was busy programming his next job into it!

ReputationRep:
    FACT: Customers, more often than not are annoying and hated by shop staff!

In this day and age you get what you pay for - companies ahve to keep costs down so they will often not spend enough time training people to do their jobs properly. I worked part time at Tesco and they would often give the bare minimum training and sometimes nowhere near enough.

If it makes the OP feel any better there are plenty of high paid, high skilled workers who do not work in 'mundane' jobs who make massive **** ups as well.

ReputationRep:
    im sure this is true, my main annoyance is this crap hotel. i've had to re-book 3 times. normally i email asking for confirmation so they cant come up with 'we have no record of your booking'. but now they told me on the fone i could book an extra night at reduced cost. so i did., asking for email confirmation,they said although their computer system was down, they would do so as soon as it was up. i didnt hear from them so i emailed them, and they said they have no record of my extra night. i re-booked it and they have confirmed it now, but will not confirm the price. they said i could not get a reduced rate as they did not record it. so i said fine. please confirm via email the rate i will be paying is the same as the other nights. i have since sent 3 emails and one telephone call but they will not respond, though on the fone they said they'd get onto it but that was last week. what do i do? i've sent myself copy of the last email i sent but i dont want to complain in case i get bad service.

another example of an inept person that really annoyed me was working at 02. i called up customer services, i was out of minutes so it was costing me to pay for the call. they said ' sorry i dont know i'll go and check, and will be back in a minute'.i was put on hold for 1 hour before they hung up without saying anything.

also british gas used to have something that annoyed me where it said 'press 4 to make a complaint' and if you did, it would put you onto a recorded message saying 'we are sorry if you are unhappy with our service. for help with your enquiry, please see our website. press * to return to the main menu.

edit: yes i have had jobs, i've worked in pizza hut, various shops and waitressing, and tour guiding. but if i dont know something i ask asap. i dont pretend to know only to make a massive timewasting cockup later on.

sorry im mad, it this hotel. im due to stay there on fri so i cant book elsewhere now :mad:

ReputationRep:
    you been watchin princess nikki shinytoy? i feel exactly the same way.

I despise the people like you, who get all huffy and stressy when anything goes wrong when you're serving them.

Usually it's not even the fault of the person on the till, often a manager needs to be called because they have all kinds of crazy rules for what you can't do in shops, things which are easy to do like re-open a till, but they don't let you do that yourself.

Poor you having to stand around for a few minutes before being served. Try being the person on their own serving that massive line of people, and then having crap go wrong. I know which person I'd rather be. Stop whining. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's because people don't appreciate the fact that I've been serving people for 8 hours in an utterly mundane job that I look like I can't be arsed with it all, and if people like you dont help me out by showing even the smallest amount of courtesy or understanding then I'm hardly likely to be in a mood that is inclined to help you

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.