Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My personal tutor hates me, hates me with a burning and undying passion. Why he hates me I cannot understand so don't ask. I haven't done anything to annoy him. I asked him today about my Oxford application and he said that it was too late, which simply isn't true. He also said that I didn't give any indication that I was applying to Oxbridge which is just a damn lie, the filthy scoundrel, because I've given plenty of indication about that. He simply hates me and is refusing to proceed with the application. I spoke to somebody else about it so the application should proceed, thank god. Damn him, the monkey.:mad: Do you think I can complain about it and get him disciplined? Because I will if I can.

The problem now is the reference. I know that he will write an immensely negative reference that'll **** me off completely. It will play up my negative aspects and play down the positive ones. For instance, I had to move out during exams which messed me up. I have a feeling that he will neglect to mention this entirely, instead going for something vague like 'Convalescent has had problems' at best. I don't want him to write the reference. He is inadequate, wholly. I want somebody else to write it. He'll just ruin my chances. I also want to swap it and move tutor groups.

You might want me to 'speak to him' but no, I don't want to do this. He hates me so much that it wouldn't make any difference. He's an arse of a human being and talking to him won't do a thing. Damn it, I'll burn his bloody house down.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    In general, it is not in the teacher's own interest to write negative reports. If they can get more students in to Oxbridge this is likely to be reflected in his/her's pay packet.

Therefore, it seems to me that there must be some finer issue that you are choosing to ignore. Perhaps your grades are an issue.

Finally, I would perhaps say that your post is a tad shirty and vulgar - and you wouldn't get into Oxbridge anyway.

Sorry to be harsh and I know I have assumed quite a few things.

Raoul

Raoul -- that is more than harsh, do you even know convalescent's grades?

ReputationRep:
    Go see your head of sixth form or a teacher you get on with about this asap, first thing in the morning. Explain you want to see the reference or have someone else write it (well, ask politely). They should know it needs sending tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel as though your personal tutor would be unable to provide an accurate and realistic representation of you as a pupil to your prospective universities then quite simply go above him in your colleges hierachical system. Talk to your Head of Studies, or Head of Student Support and discuss the possibility of getting someone else to write your reference, and give you advice on applying to Oxbridge.

Whilst your tutor is certainly incorrect in assuming that it is too late to apply for Oxbridge, with the deadline in effect being this Friday one can only assume that there is some deeper issue residing in the fact that your tutor is willing to dedicate his time, quite intensly, to help you out.

Raoul: How can you assume that Convalescent is unable to get into Oxbridge in the first place? He hasn't mentioned his grades, nor other marketable credentials which can boost chances of entry.

ReputationRep:
    No smoke without fire...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raoul)
    and you wouldn't get into Oxbridge anyway.
    And u base this on what exactly??? Has the OP even told us their grades, or are u jus making a random assumption?

ReputationRep:
    Who did you speak to to ensure the application proceeded? Whoever it was, speak to them again and ask if it would possible to get a reference from someone else, but they'll need to do it ASAP. If your school/college has any kind of formal complaints procedure, use it, but otherwise just try speaking to this person and seeing what, if anything, can be done.

ReputationRep:
    ------------------------

ReputationRep:
    Because his post is somewhat angry and he uses 'foul' language ('dirty' oh wow) you've assumed he lacks the qualifactions to get into a prestigious university?

We know how Oxford candidates don't get angry or use any foul language.

Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Successful Oxbridge candidates smell of success. Sadly, you don't. By all means prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon we're only hearing half the story, because you convalescent, are one deluded person (judging by your posts). I wouldnt be surpised if he hated you for a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raoul)
    Successful Oxbridge candidates smell of success. Sadly, you don't. By all means prove me wrong.
    What the **** are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there aren't any gaps in that story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raoul)
    How does a candidate exude a smell of success via their online message board post?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelbenson)
    How does a candidate exude a smell of success via their online message board post?:confused:
    Smell-o-vision. What is this, the 19th century!?

ReputationRep:
    i agree there must be something that you aint telling us that would suggest your personal teacher wouldnt give you a good refernce grades would be a big factor but as i dont know them cant say but like a guy said before the more successful oxbrige applicants the bigger the pay check for teachers so not sure why he would hate you so hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day none of us know the exact circumstances all we have to work with is what Convalescent has told us. Raoul your comments are highly judgemental and certainly completely irrelevant responses to what the post was mentioning. Ever heard of if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all?

Convalescent if it is proving a major issue cant you just request one of your subject lecturers write you a general reference or even apply as an independent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Convalescent)
    He's an arse of a human being and talking to him won't do a thing. Damn it, I'll burn his bloody house down.:mad:
    This is beautiful; truly spoken by a well educated private school boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeesKnees)
    Are you sure there aren't any gaps in that story?
    During tutor period I'm highly unresponsive and just sit there looking mind-numbingly bored. When he makes (bad) jokes I don't laugh. I just sit and stare at thin air (but I do listen). Though I'm not rude or anything during the infrequent occasions he does speak to me. When I went to show him my personal statement I put down something 'controversial' as a sort of joke and I didn't think he liked it. I also wear designer clothes.

(Original post by Raoul)
    Perhaps your grades are an issue.
    My grades are: A in A-level maths, A economics, B further maths, C physics, all AS. Worse than other applicants but good if you take into account the circumstances.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Who did you speak to to ensure the application proceeded? Whoever it was, speak to them again and ask if it would possible to get a reference from someone else, but they'll need to do it ASAP. If your school/college has any kind of formal complaints procedure, use it, but otherwise just try speaking to this person and seeing what, if anything, can be done.
    I spoke to head of studies, who assured me the application will go as long as I do my bit (which I now have). I brought up the reference issue with him and he said that all references are 'positive' with bad bits left out. I didn't ask for someone else to write it though but maybe I should. The personal tutor doesn't seem to think that I can go Oxford so he probably wouldn't be all that fantastic with the reference. He's also a lying **** so would probably be tempted to lie on the reference. And he doesn't seem to think my achievements are noteworthy, which they goddamn are! So how is he going to write an accurate reference. Do you think it's worth sacking him for someone else? Do you really think his refusal to do the application is worth formally complaining about?

(Original post by silentninja)
    I reckon we're only hearing half the story, because you convalescent, are one deluded person (judging by your posts). I wouldnt be surpised if he hated you for a good reason.
    How the hell am I deluded?:mad:

(Original post by qwerty3)
    the bigger the pay check for teachers so not sure why he would hate you so hmmmm
    No doubt he hates me so much it'll be worth losing money over.

(Original post by soup_dragon87)
    This is beautiful; truly spoken by a well educated private school boy :biggrin:
    His is worse. During tutor period he's there spewing all this foul language short of f* and d*.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.