Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

First years, how's your attendance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

So we've almost approached the end of our first semester and for us first years, some of us have had better attendance than others. I go to the University of Portsmouth and we have a register for every lecture and seminar on my course. My end of semester attendance is looking like its going to be about 64%. It could absolutely be a lot better and I'm hoping that it will be next semester, however, over these past couple of months, I think it's safe to say that I've spent an awful lot of the time being absolutely out of it Some people I know are sitting comfortable at 100% attendance, whereas others would be exaggerating if they said they had achieved 20% attendance.

So to all of the first years out there, how is your attendance looking? Are you looking to improve your attendance next semester? And, is attendance really a big deal in the first year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    50% maybe. Attendance doesn't seem that important so far, lowest grade I've gotten in an assignment is a mid 2:1 but I've used a decent amount of those missed hours to study and this doesn't apply to everyone or every course based on what I know of first and second year friends.

ReputationRep:
    Last week I went to two of my lectures and the week before I went to one so not that good. Today I went to my Thursday Morning lecture for the first time in 5 weeks.

One of my flatmates has only turned up to one so far this year!

ReputationRep:
    There was one module in my first year where I literally went to one lecture for the whole semester, and then it ended up being my highest mark :lol: . Our uni sent attendance letters home though :/ like we were in bloody high school.

ReputationRep:
    100%

ReputationRep:
    Um, pretty good. Not as good as I would have hoped, but those 9AMs... Just no. I'm fine with regular 9AMs, but if we have a rescheduled 9AM with another 3 straight hours of lectures afterwards, I'm not massively inclined to go.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure on the exact percentage, but I didn't miss many lectures.

Missed one in the first week due to not finding the room.

Missed one in the first few weeks due to illness.

Missed one because we had to do a presentation in a group and ours was awful, I left the others to do it instead (not an official assignment or anything).

Missed one on a Monday morning because I had an assignment in (deadline was 5PM on that Monday).

ReputationRep:
    For two of my modules I've only been to two lectures out of 11. For others I've attended more, although I'm supposed to be in a lecture right now.

Our uni doesn't track attendance and I commute so the time spent travelling isn't really worth it and I find it hard to concentrate in a warm, dark lecture theatre. If I lived on campus I would probably go to most, if not all, lectures just to fill my day up. One of my friends doesn't go to any of her lectures and doesn't keep up either. If I don't go to a lecture I sit down with the powerpoint and go through it as if I'm in a lecture so I never fall behind.

ReputationRep:
    I think my attendance would amount to about 80% so I should be ok. Though sometimes I forget to scan my student card in for lectures so it could be around 75%.

ReputationRep:
    Really bad. This is why i wish I lived on campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayPlays)
    Hey all.

So we've almost approached the end of our first semester and for us first years, some of us have had better attendance than others. I go to the University of Portsmouth and we have a register for every lecture and seminar on my course. My end of semester attendance is looking like its going to be about 64%. It could absolutely be a lot better and I'm hoping that it will be next semester, however, over these past couple of months, I think it's safe to say that I've spent an awful lot of the time being absolutely out of it Some people I know are sitting comfortable at 100% attendance, whereas others would be exaggerating if they said they had achieved 20% attendance.

So to all of the first years out there, how is your attendance looking? Are you looking to improve your attendance next semester? And, is attendance really a big deal in the first year?
    Not all of ours are registersed so not sure exactly but defo the majority- I would guess 85-90%?

ReputationRep:
    I live off campus soooo... yeah, below 50% maybe? and i haven't been keeping up either.
    Next semester i'm definitely be going to most if not all.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone on my course just got sent an E-mail from the course director saying that we need to improve next semester :P

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good. I've only missed a few days. One of them, I was really unwell and could barely get the energy to leave my bed. Last week, I had to miss two and a half days because of a hospital visit at home. Apart from that, I haven't missed a single thing, as I always feel guilty for missing things even if I feel awful! Plus, we get marked on our attendance

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.