Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i've been having some trouble with a particular series convergence question. wodnering if any of you fine people would assist me.
    The specific question i have been tasked with is question (6,7)

Thanks
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by 1210596)
    Hey guys, i've been having some trouble with a particular series convergence question. wodnering if any of you fine people would assist me.
    i have attached a picture of the question.

note: if the series converges than the above statement is true. if the series diverges then the above statement is false.
    thanks
    Well
    1) either try to find a counter example or
    2) prove it converges (e.g. by bounding the sum or from the definition or comparison, etc)

It is kind of pointless if I tell you the answer. If still stuck let me know.

ReputationRep:
    hey tom,
    ive tried answering it. and reached the conclusion that the series converges.
    i got this by doing a double direct comparison.
    let me know if there are any key points i'm missing or if its just plain wrong lol.
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    sorry just wait a sec
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    how does sum of a^2n converge?

Consider the following:

\exists n such that
    0 \le | \frac{a_n}{n^{2/3}}| \le |\frac{a_n}{n}|=\sqrt{\frac{a_n^  2}{n^2} }\le \frac{a_n^2}{n^2} \le \frac{1}{n^2}

It is true? recall sum a_n^2 is convergent hence a_n^2 \rightarrow 0 so \exists n: a_n^2\le 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tombayes)
    how does sum of a^2n converge?

Consider the following:

\exists n such that
    0 \le | \frac{a_n}{n^{2/3}}| \le |\frac{a_n}{n}|=\sqrt{\frac{a_n^  2}{n^2} }\le \frac{a_n^2}{n^2} \le \frac{1}{n^2}

It is true?
    it is given in the question that a^2.n converges.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    it is given in the question that a^2.n converges.
    by a^2.n do you mean a_n^2 because that was unclear.

ReputationRep:
    Please check carefully what you've posted says what you mean it to say, because as it stands it's pretty unintelligible to me.

I also strongly suspect that you haven't posted the entire question (because you define b_n but never use it). If you post the entire question, I suspect there is some extra context that will be useful.

[To be clear, I know how to solve this, but the way I have in mind ties in with the b_n sequence...]

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if theres been confusion guys. i will attach the ENTIRE question now. i am not sure if that will make a difference though. i have been tasked with ONLY answering question (6,7) from the image attached.

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Please check carefully what you've posted says what you mean it to say, because as it stands it's pretty unintelligible to me.

I also strongly suspect that you haven't posted the entire question (because you define b_n but never use it). If you post the entire question, I suspect there is some extra context that will be useful.

[To be clear, I know how to solve this, but the way I have in mind ties in with the b_n sequence...]
    sorry if there's been confusion. i have uploaded the entire question now on the thread. any hints or tips as to how to go about solving the question would be appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    sorry if there's been confusion. i have uploaded the entire question now on the thread. any hints or tips as to how to go about solving the question would be appreciated.
    OK.

Firstly, as I understand your argument, you're claiming that  0 \leq a_n \leq a_n^2.

But if \sum a_n^2 converges, we know a_n \to 0, and once a_n < 1, your inequality doesn't hold.

Now how to actually solve this?

Firstly you need to decide whether it's true than \sum \dfrac{a_n}{n^{2/3}} must converge. A good test case to consider is a_n = 1/n^\lambda (where \lambda is a constant). For the condition of the question to hold, we need \sum a_n^2 converges, and this gives us a condition on lambda.

But we also know that \sum \dfrac{a_n}{n^{2/3}} = \sum 1/n^{(\lambda+2/3)}, and this converges if \lambda+2/3 < 1, diverges if \lambda+2/3 >1, So compare this with the condition on lambda, and you can see that the series does in fact converge for all allowable values of lambda.

So, at this point I'd be pretty sure it converges.

To prove it converges, I would use set b_n = 1/n^{2/3} and use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality:

\left(\sum_1^N a_n b_n \right)^2 \leq \sum_1^N a_n^2 \sum_1^N b_n^2.

I confess I'm not seeing an easy way of proving it without using that inequality so I hope you know it (you can google it).

(My guess was that another part of the question would hint at this approach, but it turns out my guess was wrong).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    and this converges if \lambda+2/3 < 1, diverges if \lambda+2/3 >1,
    We know you meant the inequalities to be the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    We know you meant the inequalities to be the other way around.
    Whoops. Yes. (It was rather late...)

PRSOM...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 5, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.