Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, this is my first proper post so I'll probably do a lot of stuff wrong! ;/ So I pick my options in a month or two, and these are the compulsory ones: English Literature and English Language, Maths, Core Science and Core R.E (as well as the usual P.E and PDP which are ungraded). We then get to pick 5 options and I'm pretty sure about 4 of mine which are: Triple Science, History, Geography and French. My 5th option may have to be a BTEC as well, and I also don't mind taking another 'academic' subject if I can. Some others that I'm interested in are: R.E (full), Economics, Business Studies (could be BTEC), German and possibly Further Maths if I can't do it as a compulsory subject. Sorry for turning this into an essay and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Elijah Wilkinson)
    Hi guys, this is my first proper post so I'll probably do a lot of stuff wrong! ;/ So I pick my options in a month or two, and these are the compulsory ones: English Literature and English Language, Maths, Core Science and Core R.E (as well as the usual P.E and PDP which are ungraded). We then get to pick 5 options and I'm pretty sure about 4 of mine which are: Triple Science, History, Geography and French. My 5th option may have to be a BTEC as well, and I also don't mind taking another 'academic' subject if I can. Some others that I'm interested in are: R.E (full), Economics, Business Studies (could be BTEC), German and possibly Further Maths if I can't do it as a compulsory subject. Sorry for turning this into an essay and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do a language, it sets you up so well for the future and also helps to give you a broader world view.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks but would taking both French and German be a lot more difficult than taking one do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I was choosing my options I choose what I loved best. I didn't get my choice though make sure you have at least 3 in mind. NEVER GO FOR WHAT YOUR FRIENDS ARE CHOOSING. Do some research on these subjects. I do French and it's not that difficult it's mainly about memory. You do alot of controlled assessments that are mostly done in class. You just write essays in French. The worst thing about French is the Speaking and Listening. I haven't done speaking but Listening was a nightmare it's like a mental maths paper. They'll give you options and some french people will speak about some crap. Reading in French is fairly easy mainly about 50% of French comes from English.
    I do Geography and it's easy, trust me it's better to take Geography than Business studies. There are alot of trips in Geography you visit alot of museums and stuff. Geography has Economics in it such as the wealth of countries. Choosing Geography gives you a variety it's not like History with the big essays.
    Alot of people that choose Business Studies have regretted choosing it. Many says that it's boring and stuff like that.
    If you come from a religious family RE should be pretty easy.
    That's my advice and experiences. Do alot of research on the subjects.
    If you do want extra information just message me, i'll be happy to do an indepth review on the subject. I choose my options last year, it's not easy because there are so much subjects to do.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks but would taking both French and German be a lot more difficult than taking one do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it would be very difficult unless you have a natural aptitude in learning languages and plan to do them further down the line.

Your best bet is to ask a trusted teacher their opinion I asked both my for tutor and my head of house both were extremely useful when choosing my own GCSEs. But personally I would take RE full but if you need a BTEC take business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    When I was choosing my options I choose what I loved best. I didn't get my choice though make sure you have at least 3 in mind. NEVER GO FOR WHAT YOUR FRIENDS ARE CHOOSING. Do some research on these subjects. I do French and it's not that difficult it's mainly about memory. You do alot of controlled assessments that are mostly done in class. You just write essays in French. The worst thing about French is the Speaking and Listening. I haven't done speaking but Listening was a nightmare it's like a mental maths paper. They'll give you options and some french people will speak about some crap. Reading in French is fairly easy mainly about 50% of French comes from English.
    I do Geography and it's easy, trust me it's better to take Geography than Business studies. There are alot of trips in Geography you visit alot of museums and stuff. Geography has Economics in it such as the wealth of countries. Choosing Geography gives you a variety it's not like History with the big essays.
    Alot of people that choose Business Studies have regretted choosing it. Many says that it's boring and stuff like that.
    If you come from a religious family RE should be pretty easy.
    That's my advice and experiences. Do alot of research on the subjects.
    If you do want extra information just message me, i'll be happy to do an indepth review on the subject. I choose my options last year, it's not easy because there are so much subjects to do.
    Thanks a lot, very helpful post!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bria331)
    Yes it would be very difficult unless you have a natural aptitude in learning languages and plan to do them further down the line.

Your best bet is to ask a trusted teacher their opinion I asked both my for tutor and my head of house both were extremely useful when choosing my own GCSEs. But personally I would take RE full but if you need a BTEC take business.
    Thanks, given me more of an idea of what to pick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.