GCSE options help please? Watch

Elijah Wilkinson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, this is my first proper post so I'll probably do a lot of stuff wrong! ;/ So I pick my options in a month or two, and these are the compulsory ones: English Literature and English Language, Maths, Core Science and Core R.E (as well as the usual P.E and PDP which are ungraded). We then get to pick 5 options and I'm pretty sure about 4 of mine which are: Triple Science, History, Geography and French. My 5th option may have to be a BTEC as well, and I also don't mind taking another 'academic' subject if I can. Some others that I'm interested in are: R.E (full), Economics, Business Studies (could be BTEC), German and possibly Further Maths if I can't do it as a compulsory subject. Sorry for turning this into an essay and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paulwyn
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elijah Wilkinson)
Hi guys, this is my first proper post so I'll probably do a lot of stuff wrong! ;/ So I pick my options in a month or two, and these are the compulsory ones: English Literature and English Language, Maths, Core Science and Core R.E (as well as the usual P.E and PDP which are ungraded). We then get to pick 5 options and I'm pretty sure about 4 of mine which are: Triple Science, History, Geography and French. My 5th option may have to be a BTEC as well, and I also don't mind taking another 'academic' subject if I can. Some others that I'm interested in are: R.E (full), Economics, Business Studies (could be BTEC), German and possibly Further Maths if I can't do it as a compulsory subject. Sorry for turning this into an essay and thanks for taking the time to read it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do a language, it sets you up so well for the future and also helps to give you a broader world view.
Elijah Wilkinson
Rep:
?
Ok thanks but would taking both French and German be a lot more difficult than taking one do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was choosing my options I choose what I loved best. I didn't get my choice though make sure you have at least 3 in mind. NEVER GO FOR WHAT YOUR FRIENDS ARE CHOOSING. Do some research on these subjects. I do French and it's not that difficult it's mainly about memory. You do alot of controlled assessments that are mostly done in class. You just write essays in French. The worst thing about French is the Speaking and Listening. I haven't done speaking but Listening was a nightmare it's like a mental maths paper. They'll give you options and some french people will speak about some crap. Reading in French is fairly easy mainly about 50% of French comes from English.
I do Geography and it's easy, trust me it's better to take Geography than Business studies. There are alot of trips in Geography you visit alot of museums and stuff. Geography has Economics in it such as the wealth of countries. Choosing Geography gives you a variety it's not like History with the big essays.
Alot of people that choose Business Studies have regretted choosing it. Many says that it's boring and stuff like that.
If you come from a religious family RE should be pretty easy.
That's my advice and experiences. Do alot of research on the subjects.
If you do want extra information just message me, i'll be happy to do an indepth review on the subject. I choose my options last year, it's not easy because there are so much subjects to do.
Bria331
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok thanks but would taking both French and German be a lot more difficult than taking one do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it would be very difficult unless you have a natural aptitude in learning languages and plan to do them further down the line.

Your best bet is to ask a trusted teacher their opinion I asked both my for tutor and my head of house both were extremely useful when choosing my own GCSEs. But personally I would take RE full but if you need a BTEC take business.
Elijah Wilkinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zeetingman)
When I was choosing my options I choose what I loved best. I didn't get my choice though make sure you have at least 3 in mind. NEVER GO FOR WHAT YOUR FRIENDS ARE CHOOSING. Do some research on these subjects. I do French and it's not that difficult it's mainly about memory. You do alot of controlled assessments that are mostly done in class. You just write essays in French. The worst thing about French is the Speaking and Listening. I haven't done speaking but Listening was a nightmare it's like a mental maths paper. They'll give you options and some french people will speak about some crap. Reading in French is fairly easy mainly about 50% of French comes from English.
I do Geography and it's easy, trust me it's better to take Geography than Business studies. There are alot of trips in Geography you visit alot of museums and stuff. Geography has Economics in it such as the wealth of countries. Choosing Geography gives you a variety it's not like History with the big essays.
Alot of people that choose Business Studies have regretted choosing it. Many says that it's boring and stuff like that.
If you come from a religious family RE should be pretty easy.
That's my advice and experiences. Do alot of research on the subjects.
If you do want extra information just message me, i'll be happy to do an indepth review on the subject. I choose my options last year, it's not easy because there are so much subjects to do.
Thanks a lot, very helpful post!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elijah Wilkinson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bria331)
Yes it would be very difficult unless you have a natural aptitude in learning languages and plan to do them further down the line.

Your best bet is to ask a trusted teacher their opinion I asked both my for tutor and my head of house both were extremely useful when choosing my own GCSEs. But personally I would take RE full but if you need a BTEC take business.
Thanks, given me more of an idea of what to pick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads