Got my Critical Thinking re-mark back today! Watch

Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LN is saying that his education was most enriched by CT while bob is saying that CT is a waste of time in eyes of the universities (the ultimate judge of everything 'a level') . The statements can co-exist.

CT isn't a waste of time, far from it. I completely agree that it gives one many indispensible skills that are useful in real life. (whether those skills need to be formally taught, necessarily, is another issue).

The reason it is seen as a doss subject by the universities is because they don't want people choosing the subject as one of their main subjects. With 'full subject' dedication, an A is easily achievable and thus the subject doesn't act as a discriminator.

So the sills are useful but the subject (in the a level context) is regarded as a waste of time.
nikki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
LN is saying that his education was most enriched by CT while bob is saying that CT is a waste of time in eyes of the universities (the ultimate judge of everything 'a level') . The statements can co-exist.
Actually, he's not mentioned university except to say that they won't be able to see LN's grade. His main arguments have been that it's "a load of bull", it has no importance and it's not useful.
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
The reason it is seen as a doss subject by the universities is because they don't want people choosing the subject as one of their main subjects. With 'full subject' dedication, an A is easily achievable and thus the subject doesn't act as a discriminator.
There is a difference between a 'doss subject' and a subject that is not accepted because it is not seen as a full-time subject. It would be illogical for a university to accept a subject that can be down in a sixth of the time of other subjects. The purpose of Critical Thinking never was to act as a main subject; the subject should be supplementary to at least three other mainstream ones. It provides you with skills that can be applied in your other subjects and outside of the academic sphere, but, without the application of the skills, Critical Thinking for its own sake is prohibitively narrow. However, this does not make it any less useful, far from it. I would go as far as to say, in my application to read Maths, my grade in Critical Thinking looks far better than if I had got - in addition to my other 5 A Levels - AAA in Media Studies, Photography, and Film Studies.
bobbington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lets just say, for the course I want to study next year, CT is in fact useless, has no significance, and thus, I wont spend one second revising for it. Its a matter of opinion, for some people, they may not like the look of having a C next to 4As, or they like the subject, but personally, I consider CT as a lesson for dossing.
leannemarie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with whoever it was that said that it was one of the most important AS levels they'd taken. I took the A Level as a private candidate and I really enjoyed it, it was also included in my Cambridge offer and they asked me lots about it in my interview. It has certainly proved really useful for my work at uni level and 2 of my exams this year will be based around finding the conclusion of a text, the bias of the author and then arguing my own view on the subject. I think that's it a pity that so many people bad mouth it when they can't be bothered to put the work in to get a good grade or to properly acquire the skills needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (908)
80%
Leave (227)
20%

Watched Threads