Turn on thread page Beta

Is it right for your parents to choose your University course even if its cultural? watch

Announcements

Hi all

I was wondering whether there are any muslims or even non muslims out there who have experienced dealing with a conflict of desired careers. i.e. Parents expectations and your desires.

For Example my parents wanted me to study a medicine related degree, but due to my grades I knew I could not get in. Subsequently they then said do a degree such as Pharmacy which did not require as high grades. However I did not have any interest in Pharmacy and wanted to pursue a PHD in Business and become a management consultant however this did not go to plan because my parents did not want me to go into business (it may be my fault as I did not communicate myself properly and just said I Want to pursue a business degree).

Reason I ask is my parents always pressuring me to study a medicine related degree / scientific degree to which I feel personally is to up their social status in the community but also providing me with a good career and reasonable salary. However I am not really concerned with social status but agree with their principle of a good career and reasonable salary.

How have you dealt with this?

ReputationRep:
    They're not doing the degree, you are. And you will be the one paying it off for the foreseeable future.

You decide and you calmly but firmly tell them so.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them management consultants get paid more, plus they don't (unlike doctors) have huge rates of divorce, alcoholism, suicide and drug addiction.

(My phone wanted to say druid addiction, which is certainly better, albeit less accurate.)

ReputationRep:
    No its not right. It is your life and you should decide what to do.

ReputationRep:
    As the others have said I'd do what I really wanted to do. You're much more likely to perform better at university doing a course that you're interested in.

I'm sure a degree for business at a decent university can land you a respectable salary and good career.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you want to do media studies then negoitate to business.

ReputationRep:
    No way OP!
    They have no right to decide which university I shall go to.
    They do not lead my life, I lead my own life.

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard of this sort of thing happening and I hate it. I dont think its being Muslim thats the issue but more cultural and its just stupid so what if you dont do medicine ? Its YOUR degree. Are you Pakistani ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh sorry cultural, it happens in western society's as we I suppose. Yes I am Pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is too long and hard to do it when you have no motivation ... So is any degree! You are becoming an adult. Put your foot down. They are not going to put in the long study hours and hard work for you:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2014
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.