Mechanics 1 - Pulleys question Watch

e-mily
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This question has me a little stumped. My first instinct is to go with a constant acceleration equation, but I'm sure I remember my tutor talking about how when one weight hits the floor, the other continues upwards for a while before falling. Here:

Two particles A and B of mass 4kg and 3kg respectively are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. The particles are released from rest with the strings taught.

a) Find the tension in the string.
[Already done, and checked as correct: 33.6N]

b) When A has travelled a distance of 2m it strikes the ground and immediately comes to rest. Assuming that B does not hit the pulley, find the greatest height reached by B above its initial position.

I have an idea of how to work it, but I'm not 100% sure on my method, so I figured I'd ask you guys.
TillyP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You know that the tensions cancel out so you can do F(of particle B) -F(of particle A)=ma????

I'm not sure, I've only been doing this recently in Further Maths AS and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed :P
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by e-mily)
This question has me a little stumped. My first instinct is to go with a constant acceleration equation, but I'm sure I remember my tutor talking about how when one weight hits the floor, the other continues upwards for a while before falling. Here:

Two particles A and B of mass 4kg and 3kg respectively are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. The particles are released from rest with the strings taught.

a) Find the tension in the string.
[Already done, and checked as correct: 33.6N]

b) When A has travelled a distance of 2m it strikes the ground and immediately comes to rest. Assuming that B does not hit the pulley, find the greatest height reached by B above its initial position.

I have an idea of how to work it, but I'm not 100% sure on my method, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

look at a similar question in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._particles.pdf

look at Q13 last part
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.34%
No - but I will (9)
4.27%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.76%

Watched Threads