Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So it's my third month at University (5 hours from home) and I'm still getting homesick. Not all the time, just 2/3 nights a week where I start thinking of home and my family and then start getting upset.

The problem is, my parents are divorced and live on their own, I spent alternating weeks at each parents house so I saw them a lot and they kind of relied on me for company.

I keep getting this feeling of extreme guilt that I've left both my parents on their own and I feel totally responsible for it for choosing a University so far away from home. I don't think it would be as bad if they were both re-married or had people living in the house with them but they're both totally on their own since I left.

I don't know what to do, I've been googleing what happens if I drop out etc... and I just can't stop getting upset these few times a week. I'm loving University and my flatmates/coursemates but I just miss home and my family so much still.

Is this unusual to still be homesick after this long?

I'm going back for Christmas and I'll be back for almost a month, so when I leave for Uni again I think I'm going to take it really badly and be upset and homesick even more...

What is wrong with me and how can I move past these feelings of guilt and homesickness?

I don't think it is that unusual to be homesick for that long in your circumstances. I imagine it will get easier as the year goes on.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.