Irregular periods Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started my periods at 13 and have had them every single month since then and I am now 17.

I'm just concerned, many people say that periods should be regular 2-3 years after starting. However, I find that my cycle changes. For example, the past few months have been: 27 days, 28 days, 29 days.

The day always changes and its annoying not to know the exact date.

Also, my body is quite weird, I get cramps 3 days before my period and for some reason the blood when I start is brown (which means old blood) so for some reason... the blood stays inside me for a while.

Anyone else like this?

Oh yeah, I eat healthy, exercise occasionally and I'm 5ft8 and 124lbs
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started my periods at 13 and have had them every single month since then and I am now 17.

I'm just concerned, many people say that periods should be regular 2-3 years after starting. However, I find that my cycle changes. For example, the past few months have been: 27 days, 28 days, 29 days.

The day always changes and its annoying not to know the exact date.

Also, my body is quite weird, I get cramps 3 days before my period and for some reason the blood when I start is brown (which means old blood) so for some reason... the blood stays inside me for a while.

Anyone else like this?

Oh yeah, I eat healthy, exercise occasionally and I'm 5ft8 and 124lbs
That really isn't irregular. Its completely normal to be off by a day or two. For example, I know from using a cycle tracking app that I have an average 33 day cycle and my period always comes within 4 days either side of 33 days. Most people don't know the EXACT date its going to come. It varies from person to person, and the regularity can change throughout a womans life. Its actually quite rare that women know the exact day their period will come.

Don't worry about the brown blood.... thats normal too... the lining is mostly not blood, but other fluids and a bit of blood, so that bit of blood mixed up with the other fluids is a bit old. The red blood happens because when you shed the lining, it exposes blood vessels on the wall of your uterus and they bleed, mixing with the lining thats being shed.

It sounds like you're completely normal and healthy. You have absolutely nothing to worry about
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry you sound completely normal and healthy, being a couple of days off each time is nothing. It can be caused if you've started taking any medication or contraception if they start becoming too irregular, but don't worry about it.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You honestly have nothing to worry about. Mine started at 10, I'm now 18, and they've been as irregular as hell.

But if you're really worried, go to your GP. They'll help you.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey OP, don't worry about it everything you described is perfectly normal and healthy.
If however it really bothers you not knowing when your period if going to come you may want to consider trying some oral contraceptives. I used to have very irregular periods (sometimes wouldn't get them for a couple of months and they would last sometimes 3 days to up to a week.) But since I started on the combined pill 3 years ago they come like clockwork and I always know the day. It may take a little while finding the right pill or getting to know your new cycle, and also be aware a minority of people suffer from side effects. Just a suggestion for if it really bothers you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks everyone! I guess a few days off isn't too bad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (387)
37.28%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed