Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to find a function h(x,y) such that

\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (fh) + \frac{\partial (gh)}{\partial y}

is one-signed, e.g it is not equal to zero for any x and y. Given
    f=x(2 -x -y)
    g=y(4x -x^2 -3)

x\geq 0, y\geq 0.

I have tried e^x, 1, x^a+y^b. I really don't know what to do now. Please help!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jundong)

\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (fh) + \frac{\partial (gh)}{\partial y}

f=x(2 -x -y)
    g=y(4x -x^2 -3)

x\geq 0, y\geq 0.

To clarify, we're insisting on strict positivity rather than just positivity? In the latter case, h(x,y) = 0 will do.

Expanding using the product rule, then evaluating at (1,0) and (0,0) gives the restrictions that \frac{\partial h}{\partial x}(1,0) > 0, h(0,0) < 0. (Wlog we restrict to requiring positivity rather than allowing negativity.) Do those help?

ReputationRep:

f=x(2 -x -y)
    g=y(4x -x^2 -3)

x\geq 0, y\geq 0.

carry out the product rule and then group in twos

something useful may appear

EDIT IGNORE/sorry I misread the derivatives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    To clarify, we're insisting on strict positivity rather than just positivity? In the latter case, h(x,y) = 0 will do.

Expanding using the product rule, then evaluating at (1,0) and (0,0) gives the restrictions that \frac{\partial h}{\partial x}(1,0) > 0, h(0,0) < 0. (Wlog we restrict to requiring positivity rather than allowing negativity.) Do those help?
    It does help thank you. I will keep trying.

ReputationRep:

Still couldn't figure out h. It looks so easy.

ReputationRep:
    I will try to have a look this afternoon but I cannot think of anything else but to carry out the differentiation and solve the PDE.

Is this question from an analysis course or a methods course?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Mind giving us your expression expanded using the product rule? You should find that one term is always strictly negative, one term is strictly negative except for a small range of x and for y=0, and one term is strictly negative except for x=0 and a small range of x,y. There's only a small amount of the domain which you actually need to pay attention to.

ETA: by "always strictly negative", I mean "almost always strictly negative".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I will try to have a look this afternoon but I cannot think of anything else but to carry out the differentiation and solve the PDE.

Is this question from an analysis course or a methods course?
    It is the final step of my question, derived from Bendixson–Dulac theorem.
    (f,g)^T=\dot{\underline{x}} and the question is to show there is no periodic orbit in the first quadrant. So I think one example of h should be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Mind giving us your expression expanded using the product rule? You should find that one term is always strictly negative, one term is strictly negative except for a small range of x and for y=0, and one term is strictly negative except for x=0 and a small range of x,y. There's only a small amount of the domain which you actually need to pay attention to.

ETA: by "always strictly negative", I mean "almost always strictly negative".

The expression is
    (2x-1-y-x^2)h+x(2-x-y)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} h +y(1-x)(3-x)\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}

I was going for strictly negative because the terms like x^2 are negative. I have tried (a,b,c constant.)
    e^{ax}

e^{axy}

x^a y^b

x^a+c

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    The expression is
    (2x-1-y-x^2)h+x(2-x-y)\frac{\partial}{\partial x} h +y(1-x)(3-x)\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}

I was going for strictly negative because the terms like x^2 are negative. I have tried (a,b,c constant.)
    e^{ax}

e^{axy}

x^a y^b

x^a+c

Your expression is, I think, correct; notice that (2x-1-y-x^2) = -(y+(x-1)^2), which is only ever non-negative when y=0, x=1.

ReputationRep:
    Your expression is, I think, correct; notice that (2x-1-y-x^2) = -(y+(x-1)^2), which is only ever non-negative when y=0, x=1.
    I think I found the correct h(x,y). Thank you for your help.
    Actually the exponential almost works except one single point. So I just need to add one linear term.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 5, 2014

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.