Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it cheating if you happen to know the questions coming up for an upcoming exam but you have to learn the answers anyway?

EDIT-
    To all the people saying that it is cheating when you memorise the answers, I can assure you I did not do that, I went through every single topic and remembered all the answers just in case my prediction of the questions were wrong.
    I also did this for paper 2 because I believed the school would not have been stupid enough to use 2013 paper again (I was wrong they did use it as well).
    On the day of the actual exams, I chose to take the risk of just going over the topics I believed will be on the exam.
    So no, I did not 'cheat myself'.

ReputationRep:
    How would you know the answers? And yes, probably unless all the questions are so obvious that it would merit that you knew the answers beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Posted on TheStudentRoom

ReputationRep:
    Well technically you 'have to' know the answers to every question in every single exam...as in you've been taught the content and you revised, so you should know the answers in general.

But I know some of my friends did like a 2008 past paper in a subject, and that just happened to be the past paper used in the mock exam. They didn't find this out until they sat down and saw the paper, but as they used this to revise, they were already prepared with some good answers and had a look at the mark scheme without realising it would be the same test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its_Tito)
    Well technically you 'have to' know the answers to every question in every single exam...as in you've been taught the content and you revised, so you should know the answers in general.

But I know some of my friends did like a 2008 past paper in a subject, and that just happened to be the past paper used in the mock exam. They didn't find this out until they sat down and saw the paper, but as they used this to revise, they were already prepared with some good answers and had a look at the mark scheme without realising it would be the same test.
    That happened to me the other day in English Mock. We were given the June 2012 Edexcel Paper, and I happened to have done the paper for revision the night before. I didn't know until I realized the extract and questions were the same.
    It was good though, as it spared me of thinking of what to write, as I remember what I wrote the night before, so I ended up finishing the paper half an hour before the exam ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grade)
    That happened to me the other day in English Mock. We were given the June 2012 Edexcel Paper, and I happened to have done the paper for revision the night before. I didn't know until I realized the extract and questions were the same.
    It was good though, as it spared me of thinking of what to write, as I remember what I wrote the night before, so I ended up finishing the paper half an hour before the exam ended.

Yea that happened to me last week for the RE mock I did a past paper for the first paper, and when I sat down to do the test I realised it was the same one. So I checked the past paper for the same year for paper 2 hoping it was the right one and I only revised the topics I believed were needed for the exam. Turns out I was right, but nearly half my year did the same thing as well

ReputationRep:
    No its not really cheating that matters unless it's an acctual GCSE exam in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    How do you already know the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaunicorn)
    Yea that happened to me last week for the RE mock I did a past paper for the first paper, and when I sat down to do the test I realised it was the same one. So I checked the past paper for the same year for paper 2 hoping it was the right one and I only revised the topics I believed were needed for the exam. Turns out I was right, but nearly half my year did the same thing as well
    Lucky, I was hoping they would give us 2012 or 2013 RE Papers, and I did them both, hoping they would use them.
    They gave us the 2014 papers.
    Which were actually hard, for Unit 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its_Tito)

That is what happened to me in my maths GCSE exam for the mock. I managed to get an A grade. But that actually motivated me to do well in the real thing because the teacher started to praise me saying how I'll get an A* in the real stuff. So that is kind of good.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yes it is cheating. If a paper is leaked then they will change the paper, and memorising the answers are different to revising and preparing to give any answer.

ReputationRep:
    Is it cheating if you happen to know the questions coming up for an upcoming exam but you have to learn the answers anyway?
    Is the answer not obvious to you? Of course it is cheating because you know the questions and answers beforehand making you have an advantage over others because you are simply memorising the the answers to the paper questions. I have reccently come across a thread where one person stated that he wanted to look at some maths answers on here to cheat in his Maths GCSE mock-this is not right because of what i have stated earlier. Also cheaters never get far in life anyway. If you are planning to cheat or whatsoever just remember that the only person you will be cheating is yourself because your teachers are not stupid and know what they are talking about when they say NO CHEATING. To add to this they also know your capabilities and if they find that if youwere score 90-100% in an exam they will know something is fishy. If i were you i would listen to my piece of advice as you seriously do not want to learn the hard way.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2965305

ReputationRep:
    If you've revised for the exam by doing past papers, and you find that the school gives you the same paper and questions, then no it's not cheating, as all of the papers were available to every other student student on the exam board website anyway.

It's cheating if you KNOW the questions that are going to be given and have revised SPECIFICALLY for those questions using resources including the mark scheme,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.