Is it cheating when.....?

Watch
imaunicorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is it cheating if you happen to know the questions coming up for an upcoming exam but you have to learn the answers anyway?

EDIT-
To all the people saying that it is cheating when you memorise the answers, I can assure you I did not do that, I went through every single topic and remembered all the answers just in case my prediction of the questions were wrong.
I also did this for paper 2 because I believed the school would not have been stupid enough to use 2013 paper again (I was wrong they did use it as well).
On the day of the actual exams, I chose to take the risk of just going over the topics I believed will be on the exam.
So no, I did not 'cheat myself'.
Evening
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
How would you know the answers? And yes, probably unless all the questions are so obvious that it would merit that you knew the answers beforehand.
STUDYREVISE
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Posted on TheStudentRoom
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Well technically you 'have to' know the answers to every question in every single exam...as in you've been taught the content and you revised, so you should know the answers in general.

But I know some of my friends did like a 2008 past paper in a subject, and that just happened to be the past paper used in the mock exam. They didn't find this out until they sat down and saw the paper, but as they used this to revise, they were already prepared with some good answers and had a look at the mark scheme without realising it would be the same test.
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Its_Tito)
Well technically you 'have to' know the answers to every question in every single exam...as in you've been taught the content and you revised, so you should know the answers in general.

But I know some of my friends did like a 2008 past paper in a subject, and that just happened to be the past paper used in the mock exam. They didn't find this out until they sat down and saw the paper, but as they used this to revise, they were already prepared with some good answers and had a look at the mark scheme without realising it would be the same test.
That happened to me the other day in English Mock. We were given the June 2012 Edexcel Paper, and I happened to have done the paper for revision the night before. I didn't know until I realized the extract and questions were the same.
It was good though, as it spared me of thinking of what to write, as I remember what I wrote the night before, so I ended up finishing the paper half an hour before the exam ended.
imaunicorn
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Grade)
That happened to me the other day in English Mock. We were given the June 2012 Edexcel Paper, and I happened to have done the paper for revision the night before. I didn't know until I realized the extract and questions were the same.
It was good though, as it spared me of thinking of what to write, as I remember what I wrote the night before, so I ended up finishing the paper half an hour before the exam ended.

Yea that happened to me last week for the RE mock I did a past paper for the first paper, and when I sat down to do the test I realised it was the same one. So I checked the past paper for the same year for paper 2 hoping it was the right one and I only revised the topics I believed were needed for the exam. Turns out I was right, but nearly half my year did the same thing as well
Adrian Delfino
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No its not really cheating that matters unless it's an acctual GCSE exam in my opinion.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How do you already know the questions?
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imaunicorn)
Yea that happened to me last week for the RE mock I did a past paper for the first paper, and when I sat down to do the test I realised it was the same one. So I checked the past paper for the same year for paper 2 hoping it was the right one and I only revised the topics I believed were needed for the exam. Turns out I was right, but nearly half my year did the same thing as well
Lucky, I was hoping they would give us 2012 or 2013 RE Papers, and I did them both, hoping they would use them.
They gave us the 2014 papers.
Which were actually hard, for Unit 8.
PerplexedBird
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Its_Tito)

That is what happened to me in my maths GCSE exam for the mock. I managed to get an A grade. But that actually motivated me to do well in the real thing because the teacher started to praise me saying how I'll get an A* in the real stuff. So that is kind of good.
Jono-Wolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol yes it is cheating. If a paper is leaked then they will change the paper, and memorising the answers are different to revising and preparing to give any answer.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is it cheating if you happen to know the questions coming up for an upcoming exam but you have to learn the answers anyway?
Is the answer not obvious to you? Of course it is cheating because you know the questions and answers beforehand making you have an advantage over others because you are simply memorising the the answers to the paper questions. I have reccently come across a thread where one person stated that he wanted to look at some maths answers on here to cheat in his Maths GCSE mock-this is not right because of what i have stated earlier. Also cheaters never get far in life anyway. If you are planning to cheat or whatsoever just remember that the only person you will be cheating is yourself because your teachers are not stupid and know what they are talking about when they say NO CHEATING. To add to this they also know your capabilities and if they find that if youwere score 90-100% in an exam they will know something is fishy. If i were you i would listen to my piece of advice as you seriously do not want to learn the hard way.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2965305
Subspace
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you've revised for the exam by doing past papers, and you find that the school gives you the same paper and questions, then no it's not cheating, as all of the papers were available to every other student student on the exam board website anyway.

It's cheating if you KNOW the questions that are going to be given and have revised SPECIFICALLY for those questions using resources including the mark scheme,

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.38%
October 2021 (214)
45.15%
November 2021 (53)
11.18%
December 2021 (62)
13.08%
January 2021 (54)
11.39%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.65%