Turn on thread page Beta

Syrian Christians: 'Help us to stay - stop arming terrorists' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...errorists.html

Outgoing artillery shook St Elias church as the priest reached the end of the Lord's Prayer.
    The small congregation kept their eyes on the pulpit, kneeling when required and trying to ignore the regular thuds that rattled the stained glass windows above them.
    Home to one of the oldest Christian communities in the world, the hard to reach Syrian agricultural town of Izraa has stood the comings and goings of many empires over the centuries.
    But as the country's civil war creeps closer, it is threatening to force the town's Christians into permanent exile: never to return, they fear.
    "I have been coming to this church since I was born," said Afaf Azam, 52. "But now the situation is very bad. Everyone is afraid. Jihadists control villages around us."

A Canaanite city that was mentioned in the Bible, Izraa has lived through Persian and Arab rule, with St Elias's Church being built in 542AD - 28 years before the birth of the Prophet Mohammed in Mecca.
    It's really sad what's happening to the Christian community in Syria. It has one of oldest Christian populations in the world, with the Apostle Paul being converted within Syria on his way to Damascus. As in any civil war, it's often minorities who suffer the most, and it looks like Christians are no exception here. I pray for the Church in the Middle East every day, as I do for peace in the region.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Specially the Christians of Mosul but US wants Assad gone so...

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to happen in Europe too in a decade or two.
    They'll grow in numbers here, then they'll have 'great' leader that's insane with his targets, something like Hitler but against us.
    They'll get help from their friends from middle east.
    Bb christians 'n' white people.

ReputationRep:
    It would be even worse if this government had got its way and intervened against Assad last year. He's no saint but at least he's protected minorities like the Christians and the Alawites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    It would be even worse if this government had got its way and intervened against Assad last year. He's no saint but at least he's protected minorities like the Christians and the Alawites.
    The whole of Europe today is a joke, we're so damn stupid.
    I don't understand how the politicians don't see what happens when theres a christian minority and muslim majority.
    We have a ticking time bomb in Europe.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.