Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the Arts department, in my 3rd year doing English (Ba) at Plymouth.

I got my mark back today on an essay I do not feel is exactly justified.
    The mark doesn't really meet the grading critera at all.
    I got 51%, marked down heavily for overphrasing (using too many intellectual words) apparantley this made my arguement appear invalid.
    I am really not happy with this, mainly because I have wrote essays before which were worse than this which i scored 2.1's in, and the fact many people were marked down for this but not as heavily as I was.

I had 5 people read my essay, all which found it made sense and the language use was good.

I spoke to my module leader too, who refused to remark it, only help me only my following essay. However in my 3rd year I don't really want to rely on a mind field of language choice next time.
    I really want a re-mark who someone out of the department to judge it to the prove the essay is of a higher standard.

Does anyone know the process of this at Plymouth University?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    I'm in the Arts department, in my 3rd year doing English (Ba) at Plymouth.

I got my mark back today on an essay I do not feel is exactly justified.
    The mark doesn't really meet the grading critera at all.
    I got 51%, marked down heavily for overphrasing (using too many intellectual words) apparantley this made my arguement appear invalid.
    I am really not happy with this, mainly because I have wrote essays before which were worse than this which i scored 2.1's in, and the fact many people were marked down for this but not as heavily as I was.

I had 5 people read my essay, all which found it made sense and the language use was good.

I spoke to my module leader too, who refused to remark it, only help me only my following essay. However in my 3rd year I don't really want to rely on a mind field of language choice next time.
    I really want a re-mark who someone out of the department to judge it to the prove the essay is of a higher standard.

Does anyone know the process of this at Plymouth University?
    Hello Mcgreevy1993,

Sorry to hear that. There is an appeal process at the university providing that you can produce evidence that:
    - Assessments were not conducted in accordance with the current Assessment Regulations.
    - Some other material irregularity, related to assessment, has occurred.

For more information about the process, please contact your faculty office on 01752 85020

Alternatively, you can obtain independent advice from the Student Union Advice Centre by calling 01752 588373, or email [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Bryan
    Plymouth University Student Ambassador

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
University of Plymouth resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.