Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard alot of people say this on Youtube videos such as Coco by OtGenasis.
    Just wanted other people's opinions I guess..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Moved to Music

ReputationRep:
    I'd question your sanity if you actually paid attention to anything that anybody says in Youtube comments, it's mostly a hotbed for trolling and calling people "****".

And no, it's not dying.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say it's Hip-Hop dying, but music in general, well decent music

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how people can justify saying that, when just year an album like this came out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I don't get how people can justify saying that, when just year an album like this came out

I clicked on this thread just to shout out Run The Jewels. Not even a hip hop listener normally, but I discovered their two mixtapes a few days ago and I'm addicted. Incredible.

(Original post by zKlown)
    Wouldn't say it's Hip-Hop dying, but music in general, well decent music
    I reckon that if you can't find any good new music, you're not trying hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roobster)
    I clicked on this thread just to shout out Run The Jewels. Not even a hip hop listener normally, but I discovered their two mixtapes a few days ago and I'm addicted. Incredible.

I reckon that if you can't find any good new music, you're not trying hard enough.
    Neither am I to be honest, I listen to a bit here and there but not religiously. I found them when some metal blog linked Close Your Eyes because Zack De La Rocha was in it. I was not disappointed lol.

ReputationRep:
    With any luck.

ReputationRep:

I can find good music.

But the lack of originality in mainstream music is woeful.

Underground scenes are a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream hip hop has been awful for nearly 20 years. Underground hip hop is still going strong even though it isn't at the level it was at 10 years ago. If you want the best that hip hop has to offer listen to the following:

Cyne
    Nas
    MF Doom
    AZ
    Binary Star
    Kool G Rap
    Percee P
    Artofficial
    KMD's second album
    Eminem's first album
    Blue Scholars
    Dr Octagon
    People Under the Stairs
    Hilltop Hoods
    Knowmads
    Camp Lo
    Shing02
    Pismo
    I.N.I.
    Bumpy Kunckles
    Siah & Yeshua
    Vakill
    Awon
    Panacea
    Wu Tang
    Organized Konfusion
    Company Flow
    Edan
    Aesop Rock
    Jeru The Damaja
    Jedi Mind Trick's first album
    Giant Panda
    Blabbermouf
    Heiruspecs
    Sage Francis
    Atmosphere
    Substantial's first album
    Five Deez
    Pase Rock
    Murs
    C.L. Smooth
    Mac Lethal
    Bop Alloy
    The Roots
    Common Market
    Witness
    Insight
    Shinsight Trio
    Jurassic 5
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Big L
    Apathy
    Time Machine
    Kids In The Hall
    ATBAN Klann

ReputationRep:
    There are still some greats raps out there!
    Notorious Big: Hypnotize
    What's the Difference: Emimem/Dr.Dre
    When i'm gone: Eminem
    80's, 90's to early 00 is when HipHop is at its best. I believe HipHop started to become more about the beat than the lyrics. A good example of this is Bobby Shurmuda's first song it had a truly hot beat but it was wasted in so many ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex Death)
    Mainstream hip hop has been awful for nearly 20 years. Underground hip hop is still going strong even though it isn't at the level it was at 10 years ago. If you want the best that hip hop has to offer listen to the following:

Cyne
    Nas
    MF Doom
    AZ
    Binary Star
    Kool G Rap
    Percee P
    Artofficial
    KMD's second album
    Eminem's first album
    Blue Scholars
    Dr Octagon
    People Under the Stairs
    Hilltop Hoods
    Knowmads
    Camp Lo
    Shing02
    Pismo
    I.N.I.
    Bumpy Kunckles
    Siah & Yeshua
    Vakill
    Awon
    Panacea
    Wu Tang
    Organized Konfusion
    Company Flow
    Edan
    Aesop Rock
    Jeru The Damaja
    Jedi Mind Trick's first album
    Giant Panda
    Blabbermouf
    Heiruspecs
    Sage Francis
    Atmosphere
    Substantial's first album
    Five Deez
    Pase Rock
    Murs
    C.L. Smooth
    Mac Lethal
    Bop Alloy
    The Roots
    Common Market
    Witness
    Insight
    Shinsight Trio
    Jurassic 5
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Big L
    Apathy
    Time Machine
    Kids In The Hall
    ATBAN Klann
    The fact you missed Good kid mad city and J cole's new album speaks volumes. There is still a lot of good music out there, go explore.

ReputationRep:
    not even slightly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    I can find good music.

But the lack of originality in mainstream music is woeful.

Underground scenes are a different matter.
    Kendrick
    J cole
    Childish gambino
    Rest of tde crew
    Azealia banks
    Lupe
    Big KRIT
    Pinata
    rtj2

etc.

All of these artist's are original, yet mainstream.......; maybe you need to look harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    Kendrick
    J cole
    Childish gambino
    Rest of tde crew
    Azealia banks
    Lupe
    Big KRIT
    Pinata
    rtj2

etc.

All of these artist's are original, yet mainstream.......; maybe you need to look harder.
    Only rate Lupe and some Kendrick from that list.

Tried KRIT but couldn't get into it.

ReputationRep:
    how has everyone forgotten about joey bada$$ and his crew (pro era)? him kendrick and cole are without a doubt the best rappers out there at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Hip-hop was resurrected but it is not the same, for better or worse, in most cases worse.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a few people say this who aren't normally Hip Hop fans. This album deserves all the plaudits it's getting. And they put both albums out for free too with physicals for sale. These guys man :cool:

Check out their solo stuff as well, El-P has three solo albums (Fantastic Damage, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, Cancer 4 Cure) and Killer Mike's 'RAP Music' is as good as these RTJ albums.

Also you have to peep this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cold_Vein

Stunning album.

&

Hip Hop is not dying and neither is music. There's been so many good albums this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    Ive heard alot of people say this on Youtube videos such as Coco by OtGenasis.
    Just wanted other people's opinions I guess..
    Well there's a typical rule that says when its difficult to understand a "scene" it remains exclusive and "cool" as soon as the scene is understood it loses its integrity and the original fans move on to something new.

because as soon as a scene is understood the industry try's to sell artificial reproductions and it loses its integrity.

so what happens is as soon as a scene is understood theres a moment where it peaks and then the industry tries to squeeze all the juice it can from it. then when nothing sincere is left the scene dies. these scenes usally get picked up later on though and revived to a cult following later on.

but often what happens after the immediate selling out of a scene is people divide into sub genres.

like hip hop originally sounded like this

then with songs like "The Message" hip hop became a way to communicate the dire conditions of the black community

then rap started to make large international record sales with the likes of run dmc and beastie boys with their rock rap fusion

but then hip hop started to get understood. the sales of reeboks set up the hip hop industry.

then the likes of vanilla ice and mc hammer releasing what was essentially hip hop themed pop

the antidote to this popularizing of hip hop came from the west coast. with the first genre split from hip hop, with gangster rap.
    enter Ice T

but gangster rap wouldn't take the world by storm until these guys came out.

but by 1990 the east coast had finally found its self on its feet

by 1993 america was exploding with racial tension in black communities from issues with the police.

the LA riots had a huge cultural impact across america and the likes of public enemey and more agressive sounds of the east coast a long with the continued hype of the west coast were making it big.

the late 1990s saw raps dawning of a golden age where there was a mixture of self expression but where music was much more now about partying and celebrating the good times

by the early 2000s rappers from other nations started to gain success in their own countries. but now other more obscure parts of america were starting to get international attention.

however by the mid 00's eminem had put quite a few heavy nails in the coffin of hip hop by making it a joke, a novelty and had pretty much secured the wigger status of any white fans of eminem or indeed hip hop. so hip hop took a real nose dive in terms of sales international.

hip hop had lost its integrity and everyone new it. people everywhere looking for something new and raw to follow.

but the feeling of how hip hop was going was vocalised with the likes of old school rappers like Nas

however by 2010 we thought maybe hip hop was gonna become big again with new sounds like drakes bedroom boy sound. with a much more emotional sound to it.

however even though there may be the likes of Drake who quickly turn industrially commercial and lose integrity fast. there is also the likes of tyler the creator who manage to keep their artistic core secure whilst bringing something that the world likes but finds difficult to understand

so while there may be the likes of YG and Nikki Minaj but there are still people keeping hip hop alive in an integral way.

I think the problem is. music is commonly controlled by women. so while guys love stuff like Run the jewels. girls will always prefer wiz khalifa. so those guys will always make more money and be more popular. but girls don't really care about integrity. thats why one direction is big. pop is for girls. niche more cult following things are very much more male dominated. cuz music is a lot more for guys. its a voice. its a tribe. for girls its just something to dance to and have pretty boys to groupie after.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.