The Student Room Group

Help with English Language :(

I'm really struggling to write a minimum of 2 pages for the english papers i've been practicing the most I can do is a page. And my teacher says you need to do at least 2 pages per question to gain all full 8 marks....
But I'm finding it impossible to write anywhere near to that even if i babble on..which i don't want to do..
Does ANYONE have any tips for me I appreciate it so much
I guess this is for Q1, 2, 3 :smile:
Before you start writing I would spend time highlighting points that you could include in each question as you read through. This will mean that you will have covered enough points for a full answer and you won't be stuck when it comes to writing- the questions are the same each year so you'll know what to expect and highlight for each question.

Write a lot about a little. Pick one word quotes/phrases out and really explain e.g. the effect of them or what they're saying. For example really explain and analyse the metaphors deeply (pick out a metaphor -things that are less obvious, describe the things you associate with the word, for e.g. question 3 what this suggests about their feelings, so you'll have plenty to write.

For all the questions they like you to pick out quotes throughout the text to show you've understood the whole text.

In question 1 I underline key points in each paragraph and try to summarise each paragraph in my own words using the main points as quotes. It is also important in question 1 to pick out any inconsistencies where e.g. the point of view changes (you need this for 8 marks).

Q2. Look carefully at the title and see if it has any main features punctuation, alliteration, puns, describe the effect of this and pick a quote from the text to link to it. Then do the same for the picture. Remember the obvious as this will lengthen your answer e.g. title is bold and large to make it eye-catching, the picture is coloured e.t.c.

I would have a look at the mark schemes on line and you'll see the variety of responses that you could give and this will give you an idea of what they're looking for you to write. If you need any more help I'm happy to lend a hand, just ask :smile:
Reply 2
you do not have to write two pages to get full 8 marks but try your best to write as much as possible
Original post by TahmidGCSE
I'm really struggling to write a minimum of 2 pages for the english papers i've been practicing the most I can do is a page. And my teacher says you need to do at least 2 pages per question to gain all full 8 marks....
But I'm finding it impossible to write anywhere near to that even if i babble on..which i don't want to do..
Does ANYONE have any tips for me I appreciate it so much

You should watch Mr Bruff on youtube-He is good imo
Reply 4
Original post by VioletPhillippo
I guess this is for Q1, 2, 3 :smile:
Before you start writing I would spend time highlighting points that you could include in each question as you read through. This will mean that you will have covered enough points for a full answer and you won't be stuck when it comes to writing- the questions are the same each year so you'll know what to expect and highlight for each question.

Write a lot about a little. Pick one word quotes/phrases out and really explain e.g. the effect of them or what they're saying. For example really explain and analyse the metaphors deeply (pick out a metaphor -things that are less obvious, describe the things you associate with the word, for e.g. question 3 what this suggests about their feelings, so you'll have plenty to write.

For all the questions they like you to pick out quotes throughout the text to show you've understood the whole text.

In question 1 I underline key points in each paragraph and try to summarise each paragraph in my own words using the main points as quotes. It is also important in question 1 to pick out any inconsistencies where e.g. the point of view changes (you need this for 8 marks).

Q2. Look carefully at the title and see if it has any main features punctuation, alliteration, puns, describe the effect of this and pick a quote from the text to link to it. Then do the same for the picture. Remember the obvious as this will lengthen your answer e.g. title is bold and large to make it eye-catching, the picture is coloured e.t.c.

I would have a look at the mark schemes on line and you'll see the variety of responses that you could give and this will give you an idea of what they're looking for you to write. If you need any more help I'm happy to lend a hand, just ask :smile:

Thank you sooo much i appreciate it! Do you have any tips for Q4 as well if you do thank you! If not don't worry about it!
Reply 5
Original post by German123
You should watch Mr Bruff on youtube-He is good imo

Thank You ill check it out right away!
Reply 6
Original post by chattytia
you do not have to write two pages to get full 8 marks but try your best to write as much as possible

Yeah I know but my English Teacher says you have to or you have no chance but I disagree I'll go with what you all said thank you also!
Original post by TahmidGCSE
Thank You ill check it out right away!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending