Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello student room.

I am an 18 year old who is currently on a Gap year having finished their A Levels. I achieved:

A* - Psychology
    B - Drama
    C - English Literature

I decided to take a gap year because last year, I applied to study English Literature but after getting my results, it was clear that I was more academically talented in Psychology. I was torn between which subject to pursue last year anyway and my results only confirmed that I should study Psychology. However, during my gap year, I am re-sitting 2 English exams to try and increase my grade.

I have my heart set on Kings College London. I recently went to an open day/taster day, and the atmosphere, the content and the course outline really intrigued me; no where else I have visited interested me and made me want to study there.

I spoke to some of the lecturers/admission staff about my situation and the likelihood of me being accepted, and unfortunately, due to my English grade and the fact it's a very competitive course, they said it would be likely I would be declined on my grades alone. Even though I mentioned I was re-sitting English, they still said it was unlikely.

However, the admission staff did suggest for me to study AS Maths due there being a lot of mathematical content in Psychology degrees, and having AS Maths would make me a much more appealing candidate and would increase the likelihood of me being accepted.

The problem is I haven't studied Maths in nearly 3 years (I sat GCSE Maths in January, 2011), and even though I achieved an A* in it, the grade boundaries were fairly low and Maths was never a subject that came naturally to me.

So here's where I need some advice. Obviously Maths is an incredibly difficult subject, and even though I am willing to dedicate a lot of time and effort to it, it's not guaranteed I will be successful in it. Moreover, I am really concerned it will negatively impact my English re-sit, considering I won't have as much time to study and revise English.

I really want to study Psychology at Kings, and if I went anywhere else/studied anything else, I don't think I would be happy, so I feel I should study Maths. But I don't think I will do well in it, and I risk incurring on my English grade. But if I decide to not study Maths, I don't want to risk my aspirations and the possibility of being declined at Kings.

Help, please

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.