Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Just wondering what is the likelihood of being granted a switch from Economics and Management to PPE once at Oxford, I have an E&M interview coming up and yes, I am inherently interested in Economics, before you say I have applied for the wrong course.

The reason I ask is because I have read PPE is a lot more essay based and also the Politics aspect is extremely appealing to me. Who knows I might not (odds are I won't) get a place, just something I'd consider if I did get in.

Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.

tl;dr E&M interview, if accepted could I change to PPE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morale_boost)
    Hi all

Just wondering what is the likelihood of being granted a switch from Economics and Management to PPE once at Oxford, I have an E&M interview coming up and yes, I am inherently interested in Economics, before you say I have applied for the wrong course.

The reason I ask is because I have read PPE is a lot more essay based and also the Politics aspect is extremely appealing to me. Who knows I might not (odds are I won't) get a place, just something I'd consider if I did get in.

Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.

tl;dr E&M interview, if accepted could I change to PPE
    It's possible to switch between subjects post-acceptance, although you may be required to undertake additional tests/ interviews. However, there's no uniform policy - some colleges are happy to let people switch in the first term, some make students apply afresh in the next cycle and come up again the next year.

I don't do E&M or PPE, but I'm not necessarily convinced that PPE is more essay-based (assuming you don't drop Economics). I've been told that Management is very much essay based, and you can take up to 5 Management papers for Finals. In fact, judging by the examination papers online, quite a few of the Economics papers are essay based too (eg International Economics). However, if Politics is what genuinely appeals to you, a switch may be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    It's possible to switch between subjects post-acceptance, although you may be required to undertake additional tests/ interviews. However, there's no uniform policy - some colleges are happy to let people switch in the first term, some make students apply afresh in the next cycle and come up again the next year.

I don't do E&M or PPE, but I'm not necessarily convinced that PPE is more essay-based (assuming you don't drop Economics). I've been told that Management is very much essay based, and you can take up to 5 Management papers for Finals. In fact, judging by the examination papers online, quite a few of the Economics papers are essay based too (eg International Economics). However, if Politics is what genuinely appeals to you, a switch may be a good idea.
    Thanks for your reply, I'll just have to see how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morale_boost)
    Thanks for your reply, I'll just have to see how it goes!
    Hi I'm thinking of perhaps applying for E&M next year at Oxford. I was wondering what your stats (GCSE and AS grades) were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberrysnow)
    Hi I'm thinking of perhaps applying for E&M next year at Oxford. I was wondering what your stats (GCSE and AS grades) were?
    Hi, my stats are

GCSE: 10A*
    AS: AAACA* (Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, French, EPQ)
    A2 (Prediction): A*A*A*

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.