Turn on thread page Beta

In need of advice for weight loss watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Hoping some of you will point me in the right direction. Basically, I want (and need) to lose some weight. Since about 10 years old I've had a problem with my weight and have always been one of the 'bigger' boys in school or clubs etc. I'm not obese or anything, I'm just not happy with my weight and it makes me feel very unhappy and I know I need to do something about it. From the summer of 2013 until very recently, I lost a small amount of weight, especially in my face you which was where you could see a real difference and many people would compliment me about my weight loss which made me feel great - a feeling I want to feel once again.

I'm a 17 year old guy and three months ago I started a new job and that's where the problems began. I sit at a computer for 8 hours and there is so much temptation, with vending machines and the junk food the canteen provides. Because I'm not on my feet as much compared to school where I walked all the time from class to class, up stairs and down stairs etc and food is more accessible, the weight has just been piling on. I need to do something about this because I hate the way I look and it makes me feel very low. I've began taking my own lunch to work (usually a Tesco Meal Deal: tuna sandwich, apple slices and water) every day except Friday - the day I 'treat' myself. This does save me quite a bit of money too but each day I always have a can of fizzy juice and skittles which is a big contributor.

I've probably answered myself in saying that I know that I need to cut the sweets/chocolate and fizzy juice out completely as well as the 'treat' on Fridays. There are instances where I have a takeaway for my evening meal each night on the weekend - something else I have to cut down on.

Coming up to Christmas, I know it will be very hard in resisting all of the crappy foods but I just don't know how to do it. So that is basically what I'm asking - how do I resist the temptation? It's so easy to buy the junk from the vending machines or buy food from the work canteen. I don't exercise much either although I'm in the process of purchasing a gym membership.

So, can you amazing guys of TSR guide me on how to say no to the ****ty foods? Are there any diets/healthy eating plans people can point me in the direction of? Are there any good workouts? Finally - any general advice? This is a big deal to me as I know it's having an effect on the way I think also and I would really appreciate the advice. Many thanks in advance people and I apologise for the essay. I'm sure there are those out there who are going through or have went through a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, the best way to resist the candy temptation is to have something nice to eat. For example, as you mentioned, apple slices are epic. So are oranges, pineapples etc. but bananas could be avoided. Also nuts with no added salt are a nice snack. Drinking calorie free drinks, such as Pepsi Max, Diet Coke (and some juices) does help. Don't forget to drink water as well.

An easy way to exercise is to go for a walk or a run in the evening. Also, you might want to consider biking. A gym membership would help you a lot, but there are some effective working out plans online that are very short- from 5 to ten minutes. I can't remember any at the moment, but they're quite easy to find. Some of them are on YouTube.

Also, remember to have "treat days" once in a while because then you are less likely to crave the vending machine snacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigletius)
    In my opinion, the best way to resist the candy temptation is to have something nice to eat. For example, as you mentioned, apple slices are epic. So are oranges, pineapples etc. but bananas could be avoided. Also nuts with no added salt are a nice snack. Drinking calorie free drinks, such as Pepsi Max, Diet Coke (and some juices) does help. Don't forget to drink water as well.

An easy way to exercise is to go for a walk or a run in the evening. Also, you might want to consider biking. A gym membership would help you a lot, but there are some effective working out plans online that are very short- from 5 to ten minutes. I can't remember any at the moment, but they're quite easy to find. Some of them are on YouTube.

Also, remember to have "treat days" once in a while because then you are less likely to crave the vending machine snacks.
    Thanks for the advice. Especially now that it's winter, I'm limited with the exercise options so the gym will probably be my best option. I'm looking into purchasing the weight loss packs that come with milkshakes, soups etc - they're supposed to be good. Has anybody tried those?

ReputationRep:
    Try to intake more fiber foods rather than high calorie foods. Usually, fibers are having the ability to eliminate bad fat and unwanted cholesterol from the body. Also, intake more water, because water is the only natural drink on earth with zero in calories, it will definitely help you to eliminate bad toxins from the body.

ReputationRep:
    Try treating yourself with small things. But multipacks of treat size chocolates and allow yourself one if you've had a good day (two if you've had a very good day)

I genuinely think one of the biggest motivators is being held accountable, which is one of the good things about slimming clubs where you go each week and get weighed and also have the opportunity to talk among others and boost each others motivation. If you don't fancy a slimming club you can also arrange to see a nurse regularly at you GPs and get weighed.

Theres an app you can get on a smartphone called myfitnesspal which calculates how many calories you should eat to lose weight and you input everything you eat (you can scan packets of things to get the right information too)

The biggest key to resisting temptation is yourself You need to wholeheartedly want to lose weight and be prepared to make the effort. You do need to be in the right mindset (this has often been my downfall) acknowledging and taking responsibility for your own choices and knowing that you don't have to eat stuff just because its there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.