dannysw8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in year 11 and kinda have a clue what I want to do at A Level , it'll probably be through the science pathway. I'm interested in Maths , Further Maths , Physics , Chemistry , Computer Science & Psychology. I've heard that in order to do A Level Chemistry you need to have much knowledge from the GSCE Edexel Syllabus , which I do not have as my school makes us to OCR 21st Century for GCSE Science and Additional Science. I'm predicted 5A's 4A*'s and 1C , but I have already an A* Spanish GCSE. A*A* in Science and Additional Science , would the fact that I did OCR 21 Century GCSE make Chemistry A Level harder for me? If so I will just do another course.
Another thing , I have an A predicted for GCSE Maths , I have not done my December mocks yet , will an A predicted mean that I won't be able to do Further Maths or will it make no difference as long as I get an A* in the real exam?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a) No exam board at GCSE should give you an advantage for A-level, as they're all moderated.
b) However, not taking Triple Science may disadvantage you slightly
c) My sixth form let students with A's and A*'s do FM, but it really depends on your sixth form, so you need to speak to them
dannysw8
Rep:
?
Thanks , but will I be disadvantaged with Physics A Level as well if I don't have Triple Science?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dannysw8)
Thanks , but will I be disadvantaged with Physics A Level as well if I don't have Triple Science?
The thing with triple science is you learn C1-6/B1-6/P1-6 in more detail, as well as C7/B7/P7, all of which give you information that science A-levels will assume you know, and that you miss with core/additional.

It's not a major disadvantage though, provided you let your teachers know that you didn't do triple at GCSE. Many people go into A-level without triple science and do well, it's just in some cases they've had to do a little extra work to get there.
dannysw8
Rep:
?
Oh okay so it isn't anything major , just putting more work in. That's cool I can handle that , thanks again.
syedsta
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just because you don’t do Triple science doesn’t mean that you can’t do the sciences at A-Level, my sixth form has very high entry requirements and they still allow you to take the sciences even if you don’t do triple. Although it is recommended to take triple just in case. But make sure to get a bit higher than the entry requirements so you can stand out. Talk to the college/ sixth form and see what they thing of you not doing triple. I know lots of people who have been accepted to do an A level science without Triple GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?