What A Levels to do? Watch

dannysw8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in year 11 and kinda have a clue what I want to do at A Level , it'll probably be through the science pathway. I'm interested in Maths , Further Maths , Physics , Chemistry , Computer Science & Psychology. I've heard that in order to do A Level Chemistry you need to have much knowledge from the GSCE Edexel Syllabus , which I do not have as my school makes us to OCR 21st Century for GCSE Science and Additional Science. I'm predicted 5A's 4A*'s and 1C , but I have already an A* Spanish GCSE. A*A* in Science and Additional Science , would the fact that I did OCR 21 Century GCSE make Chemistry A Level harder for me? If so I will just do another course.
Another thing , I have an A predicted for GCSE Maths , I have not done my December mocks yet , will an A predicted mean that I won't be able to do Further Maths or will it make no difference as long as I get an A* in the real exam?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a) No exam board at GCSE should give you an advantage for A-level, as they're all moderated.
b) However, not taking Triple Science may disadvantage you slightly
c) My sixth form let students with A's and A*'s do FM, but it really depends on your sixth form, so you need to speak to them
dannysw8
Rep:
?
Thanks , but will I be disadvantaged with Physics A Level as well if I don't have Triple Science?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dannysw8)
Thanks , but will I be disadvantaged with Physics A Level as well if I don't have Triple Science?
The thing with triple science is you learn C1-6/B1-6/P1-6 in more detail, as well as C7/B7/P7, all of which give you information that science A-levels will assume you know, and that you miss with core/additional.

It's not a major disadvantage though, provided you let your teachers know that you didn't do triple at GCSE. Many people go into A-level without triple science and do well, it's just in some cases they've had to do a little extra work to get there.
dannysw8
Rep:
?
Oh okay so it isn't anything major , just putting more work in. That's cool I can handle that , thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads