Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the music you listen to depend on your mood? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Do you listen to different artists or different types of music depending on your mood or does your mood not affect what you listen to?

I tend to listen to the same music no matter how I feel, but at times I do find myself noticing the more 'depressing' lyrics when I am not feeling very good which doesn't help my mood, but that is the way it is.

Thank you
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    the music i choose to listen to i choose to get me into a mood that i would like

so if i want to feel peaceful ill listen to calming music

if i want to become hyper ill listen to dance music

and sometimes ill just listen to whatever

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    sometimes, I generally don't listen to my favourite music when i'm feeling down incase I form an association that stops me from liking it in the future

ReputationRep:
    Largely. I wouldn't put on 'California Girls' when it's snowing.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    sometimes, I generally don't listen to my favourite music when i'm feeling down incase I form an association that stops me from liking it in the future

ive realised this! music that i used to listen to when i was going through a bad phase seems to make me feel horribly uncomfortable and sad now if i try listen to it again. all the feelings and thoughts and memories of that time come back and its not a nice feeling!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Although sometimes, say, when I'm feeling a bit down i might go against what i'd usually listen to and put on a really uptempo, upbeat song.

ReputationRep:
    I love singing so if the opportunity is there and I'm alone in a car or something I will listen to stuff I love singing.

If I'm on a train or something I'll just listen to more chilled out stuff that's easier to just listen to!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A lot of the music I listen to works well to listen to when I am in a variety of moods but I have noticed if I am hyper or just had some really good news, I will dance around to New Order or Erasure rather than my usual New Wave or Indie stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My mood never determines what type of music I listen to.
    It has never happened nor will I allow it to occur

ReputationRep:
    It depends on my mood or what I'm trying to get my mood to. When I'm trying to write something depressing, I listen to sad, angst-y songs but when I'm trying to write a romantic or heartbreaking story, I listen to love songs or break-up songs.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    For me, yes. However, it sometimes has the reverse effect too. (what I listen to puts me in a certain mood)

example: If I'm sort of looking forward to a night out, but not that much, whacking on my Spotify party playlist defo gets me going a bit more

ReputationRep:
    I would consider myself as a person who struggles to connect emotionally with life in general (I am 34 but did go to uni.)

Example - I didn't cry much at the death of relatives (my logical mind thinking they're old etc) yet I can be reduced to tears just listening to certain music and its associations (weird example, a certain dance track conjured up feelings of my football team getting relegated!)

I think sometimes the music actually defines the mood. (True story - at the end of 2012-2013 I was going through one of the worst depressions of my life and I texted Radio 1 on NYE saying 'Can you play REM 'Everybody Hurts' for those of us not celebraring - they didn't but withing 5-10 minutes of the text Scott Mills or whoever was on the show basically said 'I understand not everybody is celebrating and played 3 'downbeat' tracks including The Streets 'Dry Your Eyes?' - I think it is 50% + I defined the mood for the nation on 3 tracks - sorry! (although in some ways I am proud to have given a voice to anyone struggling on that evening - New Years can be a horrible time for introspection - on going clubbing 2013-2014 I just cried on the dance floor when the countdown reached zero - I was so happy to see the last seconds of a really difficult year p*ssed away!)

What can be interesting is aggressive dance music (hard house/happy hardcore) when commuting in heavy traffic -turns one into an aggressive driver!

As you youngsters (lol!) will increasingly realise as you get older, certain music can define an era on a personal level. For instance, I found a CD which I played in my first year at Uni recently - given it was a challenging experience for me that was really scary.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    for me it does, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Posted on TheStudentRoom

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Most the time I listen to straight death-doom. If I'm in a bad mood, I simply go for something heavier. If I'm in a really bad mood, I go for the most angry, heavy, hate filled, unadulterated death metal I can find. If I'm beyond the stage of really bad mood and well within the stages of self loathing and starting to become a danger to myself and others, then Katatonia does the job.

If I'm in a good mood, I might consider listening to power metal rather than doom.

Sometimes I get in a really weird mood, kinda chill, and I listen to Gorillaz. I'm weird like that. xD

ReputationRep:
    Most of my favourite musical artists are the ones who's oeuvre covers a wide range of emotions.

Like The Gaslight Anthem for instance, I listen to them a lot. If I'm in a sad, nostalgic type mood I'll listen to something off their angry-depressive "Get Hurt" album and if I'm optimistic and fairly relaxed I'll listen to something from "The '59 Sound" or "American Slang" and if I wanna go all out pulse-raising punk I'll stick "Sink or Swim" on and blast the songs off that loud. Those are the type of bands I identify with ... the ones who have an album for every occasion.

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.