The Student Room Group

Can you train as a teacher with a masters degree?

I have an ordinary non honours degree and I want to gain qts. I can do a masters degree In Education because of my expereince and training I am currently doing. Could I use this to qualify to get on a teacher training course?
Original post by justjake09
I have an ordinary non honours degree and I want to gain qts. I can do a masters degree In Education because of my expereince and training I am currently doing. Could I use this to qualify to get on a teacher training course?

It would be better to contact individual universities and ask how they would look on this. The only steadfast requirement to train as a teacher is a degree; it is individual universities which make the decision to seek 2:1s and above (often just because they can due to the number of applicants). But if you're a desirable candidate due to your experience and training they may be willing to overlook this.
Reply 2
Original post by moutonfou
It would be better to contact individual universities and ask how they would look on this. The only steadfast requirement to train as a teacher is a degree; it is individual universities which make the decision to seek 2:1s and above (often just because they can due to the number of applicants). But if you're a desirable candidate due to your experience and training they may be willing to overlook this.

Do you think having a masters would increase my chances?
Most likely yes it's level 7 qualification

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by justjake09
Do you think having a masters would increase my chances?

It possibly could, but I know that having a masters/PhD doesn't necessarily make you a better teaching candidate.

If someone has a masters but doesn't have much experience in the classroom or doesn't come across well during the application and interview process, the masters isn't going to help you. They would rather go with someone who has an undergrad degree but comes across better in the interview and has more experience.

I will have a PhD by the time I apply for teacher training, and I am not relying on it to get me into the course. I went to a recruitment event at my local School Direct alliance, and they kept mentioning someone they had interviewed a few years ago that had a PhD and looked like a good candidate on paper, but he didn't come across well in person. He didn't seem to actually like kids, and couldn't teach his subject to others. Obviously my PhD will be on my application, but I plan on pointing out the transferable skills I have got through my research as they won't really be that interested in the outcome of my research or the number of papers I have published.

I also plan on getting as much experience as I can before I apply, even though I have to take time off to do it. I have just done 1 week in the school I hope to do my School Direct with, and they have invited me to come back and do more experience with them :biggrin: Experience is one of the main things you will need on your application and during your interview, so IMO that is more important than having a masters. Obviously if you want to do the masters anyway, then go for it, but I wouldn't do it just to get you onto the course.
Reply 5
Education department recruitment bias. Hi, If u're white people , the change is much greater than non-white people, according to research report.

http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/pubs/summary.php?id=rr552

I'm ethnic minority but had almost 25 yrs teaching kids and young people and some excluded adults in church voluntary or p-t before. However, i have finished master degree in education with some research certificate still not able to teach in school because i don't have NQT. But the uni said i'm qualify to work in school but the schools and recruitment agency require pgce again from me. I know my white classmate already teaching before they finished their degree. What can u tell.? I have another non-white friend had a phd in engineer but finished contract in university. He need to apply a pgce maths to get some grant to finish and work in highschool or college full-time. I knew another white ma science graduate got a p-t lecture and get paid to do his phd at this moment. What kind of society is it?
Reply 6
Original post by ouahPhT
Education department recruitment bias. Hi, If u're white people , the change is much greater than non-white people, according to research report.

I'm ethnic minority but had almost 25 yrs teaching kids and young people and some excluded adults in church voluntary or p-t before. However, i have finished master degree in education with some research certificate still not able to teach in school because i don't have NQT. But the uni said i'm qualify to work in school but the schools and recruitment agency require pgce again from me. I know my white classmate already teaching before they finished their degree. What can u tell.? I have another non-white friend had a phd in engineer but finished contract in university. He need to apply a pgce maths to get some grant to finish and work in highschool or college full-time. I knew another white ma science graduate got a p-t lecture and get paid to do his phd at this moment. What kind of society is it?

To teach in schools you must have QTS. Your post doesn't really make much sense to be honest. It really isn't anything to do with your skin colour - you don't have the qualification required to teach in schools. The science grad is able to be a lecturer (I assume in a university) because you don't need a teaching qualification to teach adults. Your friend with a PhD in engineering needs to do teacher training because they want to teach in high school or college. If they were white, they would need to do that too. I have 10 years experience "teaching" girls in Brownies on a voluntary basis (pretty much the same as your church experience), but that doesn't mean I should be able to waltz into a school and start teaching them. You need to be qualified to do that!

I really hope you are troll, because it really isn't right that you just claim you aren't able to do something because of your skin colour when that has nothing to do with it.
Reply 7
Original post by ouahPhT

If this post is indicative of your normal standard of written English, you shouldn't be teaching in any school, whatever your skin colour!

As the previous poster said, to teach in school requires QTS / NQT. Teaching isn't something you can just expect to be able to do because of voluntary work, research certificates etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending