New 10K Postgraduate Masters Student Loan Watch

Poll: Will you now do a masters from 2016?
Yes (5)
83.33%
No (1)
16.67%
Hollywood Hogan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
About bloody time! This Masters student loan is due to start from 2016. But why did it take so long for some bright spark to realise it was just what was needed? Or is this just a through the back door means for the Government to help fund cash-strapped universities?
Hollywood Hogan
Rep:
?
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great news

Posted from TSR Mobile
username848676
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great news overall! I'm sure there's implications, though; such as the only under-30's rule, and there only being 40,000 available for the poorest students? A step in the right direction, nonetheless
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Himynameskiefer)
Great news overall! I'm sure there's implications, though; such as the only under-30's rule, and there only being 40,000 available for the poorest students? A step in the right direction, nonetheless
I read more about it and apparently the student has to start paying it back as soon as they graduate whether they're working or not. So not much different to a Career Development Loan really. I'd be over 30 by then so it wouldn't be much good for me anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm hesitant to welcome it without universities ensuring that not everyone can get a masters degree. If anyone can get a masters then bachelor degrees become worthless and master degrees are also less valuable. I wouldn't want to see a USA style system where everyone has to get into huge amounts of debt just to be on a level playing field with their peers. I think masters degrees should only be available to the very best students and the loans be available to anyone good enough to get on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pseudocode
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gemmam)
I read more about it and apparently the student has to start paying it back as soon as they graduate whether they're working or not. So not much different to a Career Development Loan really. I'd be over 30 by then so it wouldn't be much good for me anyway.
This is very unlikely.

And the Treasury also says that while it will “consult” on the detail of the plans, “one way” to structure the postgraduate loans would be to have an interest rate of RPI plus 3 per cent, repayable at 9 per cent of earnings above £21,000.

I will be doing a Masters in 2016.
Tomsta
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even though i'm not doing a Master (didn't get good enough grades) i think this is a really good idea, many job fields require Masters or a PhD (Law, Medicine and Psychology to name three)
Hollywood Hogan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
I'm hesitant to welcome it without universities ensuring that not everyone can get a masters degree. If anyone can get a masters then bachelor degrees become worthless and master degrees are also less valuable. I wouldn't want to see a USA style system where everyone has to get into huge amounts of debt just to be on a level playing field with their peers. I think masters degrees should only be available to the very best students and the loans be available to anyone good enough to get on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think we are quite moving down that route yet. A masters degree is still considered by most people as the icing on the cake, or a means to better oneself. If you have a 2.1 or better from a good university, you don't need a masters to prove yourself again. Those that get a 2.2 may want to address their shortcomings through a masters, however. I'm doing mine to get access onto a PhD.
username848676
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, really? That's quite disappointing if that's true. I don't see why they'd bring it in if that were the case with there already being the Career Development Loan then?
Zenomorph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, won't be.

Almost anyone can get onto a Masters as it stands so that would get worse once funding comes into play
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Himynameskiefer)
Ah, really? That's quite disappointing if that's true. I don't see why they'd bring it in if that were the case with there already being the Career Development Loan then?
Opps re-read the article again and this isn't the case. They were actually talking about the Career Development Loan in the same article as this new loan and I got mixed up as I was tired when I read it the first time. My bad
username848676
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Opps re-read the article again and this isn't the case. They were actually talking about the Career Development Loan in the same article as this new loan and I got mixed up as I was tired when I read it the first time. My bad
Haha, it's fine - I'm glad it was a misread! It diminished my hopes for a second. Ironic that I'll be graduating the year this comes into practice.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hollywood Hogan)
I don't think we are quite moving down that route yet. A masters degree is still considered by most people as the icing on the cake, or a means to better oneself. If you have a 2.1 or better from a good university, you don't need a masters to prove yourself again. Those that get a 2.2 may want to address their shortcomings through a masters, however. I'm doing mine to get access onto a PhD.
If I may rephrase what you've said:
"If you have a 2.1 or better from a good university, you shouldn't need a masters to prove yourself again"

As it currently stands people like ourselves who have studied masters degrees without government funding are doing it for good reasons - to act as stepping stones to further study. There are other good reasons to do postgraduate qualifications but I do not believe that "because everyone else is doing it" is one of them. Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world, but I don't think the solution is to do another degree designed to demonstrate academic excellence.

A 2:1 is a good grade which should land you whatever job you want unless the employer can afford to be extremely selective. My worry is that if too many people do masters degreed people will feel the need to do one just to prove their competence.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pseudocode)

I will be doing a Masters in 2016. [/FONT][/COLOR]
Assuming you get the loan. Remember, there are only 40K loans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise