Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prejudice, Racism. words used incorrectly. Whats the right word? watch

ReputationRep:
    Let us begin.

Ethnicity
    "The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition"

Prejudice
    "Preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience"

Racism
    "The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

So if you have had negative experiences with people of a certain ethnicity and now have negative views towards that ethnicity, what is the name for that?

cause i know a lot of people would call it racism or prejudice. but racism means race and your issue is with the ethnicity not the race of the people in question. its not prejudice either because whilst it may be a preconceived opinion, it IS based on reason and actual experience.

and then what would be the word for someone that does not judge people they meet on an individual and personal basis. but then when at home summarises different cultural groups in a way that is either partially negative or fully?

Just curious. I'm assuming there isn't a word for such things. but perhaps some of you boffins might work it out.

ReputationRep:
    Guess nobody knows then

ReputationRep:
    Language isn't fixed, in common usage race and ethnicity are pretty interchangeable, nobody has a solid definition of racism and prejudice is used to apply to generalisations from experience as well as preconceived ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Imo:

Race and Ethnicity are the same thing. Trying to find the difference between the two is like trying to argue the difference between post grunge and post hardcore.

You can still be prejudiced against someone from past experience. I've met some catty girls before, but to say that I will never make friends with another girl because they are probably all catty would be prejudiced.

So in answer to your question, racist :|

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.