4 years at a good university or 3 years at an average one? Watch

Osman Deen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I will be 23 when I have finished my A levels, I will probably get BBD. Manchester Met will take me on with those grades for history. However Leeds requires ABB, they offer a foundation year if you don't meet the requirements, once passed I can get onto my preferred degree. I am very tempted to apply for a foundation year and get into Leeds which is a Russell Group university. However I already feel that I am getting on a bit. What would you do if you were in my position? Thanks.
SomeStudent
Badges: 14
Report 4 years ago
Leeds. Can't believe Manchester Met would let anyone with a D in. A foundation year will enable a smoother transition to a degree.
Helloworld_95
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends, if you have significant relevant work experience and the manchester met degree is accredited the same as the leeds one, go to manchester met and save yourself a year and a few grand. Otherwise I'd say go for leeds for the prestige.
coffeecakey
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
If your ultimate goal is to get your degree from a Uni you feel is more prestigious/well known, why not go all the way? One year is only 'getting on' one more year, you're hardly going to turn into a grandpa by the end of it

Otherwise just go for Manchester, because you'll be spinning boring circles in foundation and you'll be doing it again in first year.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Osman Deen)
I will be 23 when I have finished my A levels, I will probably get BBD. Manchester Met will take me on with those grades for history. However Leeds requires ABB, they offer a foundation year if you don't meet the requirements, once passed I can get onto my preferred degree. I am very tempted to apply for a foundation year and get into Leeds which is a Russell Group university. However I already feel that I am getting on a bit. What would you do if you were in my position? Thanks.
Go for Leeds. First the foundation year is useful since you probably have a few gaps in your knowlege, second a degree from Leeds in History is going to be much more employable than one for Manchester Met. Think of it as a scottish or american degree, they are 4 years long normally.
Mish Lilly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Osman Deen,

Another way to look at it is the course content - which do you prefer - which one offers you more choices to specialize in something that really interests you? Which University offers you more opportunities to develop you as a person outside of the degree.

Interestingly for the Russell Group universities student satisfaction survey, the highest was about 4/5 - how might this compare with others you are considering?

If the difference is a years student loans - that might be the deciding factor?

Good Luck with your decision though

Mish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise