Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if anyone here goes there/applied etc. but I wanted to know the honest opinion of people if you think I have a chance.

I am looking to applying for Computer Science but the problem is I literally only got 3 A's, 5 B's and 2C's for GCSEs, I then went on to do a different course for a year, didn't like it and started A levels. I've made a massive improvement since GCSEs. I'm predicted AAA and the requirement is AAB. Do you think, based on my history they wouldn't even consider giving me an offer, despite there being a good chance I will meet the requirements?

Also, the main reason my GCSEs were so bad was because of a health condition meaning I was too tired to concentrate for the past 3 years, I've got medication now so it isn't a problem. Would putting this down in my application be useful or would they view it as an excuse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYesLad)
    Not sure if anyone here goes there/applied etc. but I wanted to know the honest opinion of people if you think I have a chance.

I am looking to applying for Computer Science but the problem is I literally only got 2 B's and 2C's for GCSEs, I then went on to do a BTEC for a year, didn't like it and started A levels. I've made a massive improvement since GCSEs. I'm predicted AAA and the requirement is AAB. Do you think, based on my history they wouldn't even consider giving me an offer, despite there being a good chance I will meet the requirements?

Also, the main reason my GCSEs were so bad was because of a health condition meaning I was too tired to concentrate for the past 3 years, I've got medication now so it isn't a problem. Would putting this down in my application be useful or would they view it as an excuse?
    Ask your referee to mention your past health problems and (hopefully) to point out your massive improvement.

You also need to check whether King's have any specific GCSE requirements such as 5 A-C passes or a B in Maths, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    being totally honest with you I think all leading university including Kings are likely to turn you down as things stand because you only have 4 gcse's at c and above and the usual entry standard is 5 including English at grade c. also kings require maths gcse grade b. You don't say what subjects your gcse's are in. Your predicted a level grades are fine and yes you should mention your medical condition as illnesses like Diabetes can cause problems with concentration and tiredness. What I cant understand is why you don't study an additional gcse alongside your a level to achieve the entry requirements. If you don't meet the English or maths requirement then sit those, if not could you study a gcse in your a level subjects

ReputationRep:
    As long as your referee mentions your extenuating circumstances, it may be alright. What were your GCSEs in?

You may also need to take a 5th GCSE, as many places have a benchmark of 5A*-C inc. Maths and English Lang for GCSEs. If you speak to your school they may be able to put you on a fast-track course to sit a GCSE alongside your A2's.

ReputationRep:
    I actually do have 5 but one of them is a Merit in ICT if that counts?

ReputationRep:
    Some of the others are English C, Chemistry B, Maths B and Physics B

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether your merit in ICT counts as I don't know what it stands for. if it does count fine don't worry about. if it doesn't then look at sitting another one. You meet the English and Maths requirements so that is a positive. It is difficult to know whether Kings will make you an offer or not but it is certainly worth applying as it is only one of 5 options. What subjects are you taking at a level. If you are taking maths could you take additional maths or stats gcse if needed

ReputationRep:
    It's called an OCT Merit, my whole school did it instead of a regular ICT GCSE - it's not a BTEC. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and ICT for A levels (my college doesn't offer Computing). I think taking a Statistics for GCSE would be a good idea. Do you or anyone else know if I would be able to sit Statistics at January or March? I wouldn't want to do it in June as it would get in the way with my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    my son did maths and stats at gcse level then did additional maths in year 11. he then took maths and further maths at a level and is now in his 3rd year at university. additional maths is like first term AS perhaps a bit more so it may be a suitable option without extra work. Given the fact you are studying further Maths statistics would again be an option. Why are you doing 4 a levels when unis only require 3. there is an article in the education guardian regarding this. it is well worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll look into additional maths and read that article you said about.

ReputationRep:
    by the way, kcl is s good uni for cs? from the ranking, it dropping so fast.

I ask your serious idea since I got its offer in addition to exeter, durham and lancaster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    all 4 are really good unis and I would look into them all and then make your decision, there is not likely to be a huge difference between them all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYesLad)

I am looking to applying for Computer Science but the problem is I literally only got 2 B's and 2C's for GCSEs, I then went on to do a BTEC for a year, didn't like it and started A levels. I've made a massive improvement since GCSEs. I'm predicted AAA and the requirement is AAB. Do you think, based on my history they wouldn't even consider giving me an offer, despite there being a good chance I will meet the requirements?

if they ask for specific GCSE(s) and if you have them at the required grade, and assuming your predictions are greater than or equal to their entry requirements, you will most likely get an offer since CS is an under-subscribed course

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.