The Student Room Group

Anybody else find winter and Christmas ****ing depressing?

Like seriously i hate this time of year. Nothing makes me happy anymore. I've got a job that keeps me busy, cool people i hang out with at work and go out with and plenty of money to buy what i need, but i just can't seem to use any of it on myself.

We got a brand new car for Christmas (literally fresh from the factory with only 2 miles on it) but event that didn't cheer me up. I wish i could go back to being a kid again. I really loved cars and would buy loads of things and be happy but now that i can do that for myself, i don't.

I thought that getting a girlfriend would make me happy but no. Even though fit girls at work like me, i lack the courage to ask them out cos i know they'll say yes and i'll have to open my heart and let them close to me. I get envious seeing people in town being really happy with their lovers buying loads of christmas presents but material things don't please me anymore. I eat well and sleep well but i'm still feeling like ****.

HELP?????

Scroll to see replies

You're far from the only one, there's so much hype about christmas every year and so much pressure to enjoy it when its really little more than a materialist anticlimax.

It seems like your problems might go a bit deeper than that though... if you're unhappy with your life, even though its overall pretty good, it could be that you're suffering from a bit of depression. Its another thing that can happen this time of year, seasonal affective disorder affects a lot of people due to less hours of daylight etc...

Its not stuff and other people that you should be relying on to make you happy, its yourself, and if you're struggling with that, perhaps it would be worth considering seeing your doctor or talking to someone about it.
Yeah, and it starts too early.
I thought I was the only one,I don't know what I'll actually be doing this year for christmas
The complete opposite for me, Christmas makes me glow and bounce with happiness. :biggrin:
Everyone around me absolutely loves it, but I generally find Christmas a very low, depressing time.
I love it

Its New Year january/feb that makes me feel down, hate it
I hate it...funnily enough my birthday is on Christmas Eve...Yeah it's fun knowing your one year closer to death and at the beginning of another torturous year with in the space of a week. :smile:
But the holidays?
It used to make me very happy. Now that memory just contrasts with how miserbale I feel now, making me feel even worse. I am one sad butterfly :sad:

You get time off though which I always like.
I do too, as all my friends live too far away, due to moving off to Uni and so im 2 years behind some of the ones my own age. I want to be able to meet up with them, but the issue is having no money to be able to get around and meet up with them. Maybe next year will be better when i hopefully start Uni and actually have some money to be able to get around.
ITT: Undiagnosed SAD
I feel the same, it's one of many reasons I want to move away from here. Would you consider it? Just curious.
Reply 13
I've always found New Years pretty depressing for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
Like seriously i hate this time of year. Nothing makes me happy anymore. I've got a job that keeps me busy, cool people i hang out with at work and go out with and plenty of money to buy what i need, but i just can't seem to use any of it on myself.

We got a brand new car for Christmas (literally fresh from the factory with only 2 miles on it) but event that didn't cheer me up. I wish i could go back to being a kid again. I really loved cars and would buy loads of things and be happy but now that i can do that for myself, i don't.

I thought that getting a girlfriend would make me happy but no. Even though fit girls at work like me, i lack the courage to ask them out cos i know they'll say yes and i'll have to open my heart and let them close to me. I get envious seeing people in town being really happy with their lovers buying loads of christmas presents but material things don't please me anymore. I eat well and sleep well but i'm still feeling like ****.

HELP?????

Are you a Muslim?
Reply 15
Winter, yes. Christmas, partly.

Winter - anyone who seriously enjoys getting up in the pitch black, the gloom that passes for daylight on cloudy days we get in this country (UK) and the streetlights turning back on before 4pm for another 17 hour shift is a masochist. (And that's the Midlands, as you go further North its more like lights on at 3pm!) Plus the lack of UV at this time of year which is thoroughly horrid for a sun worshipper like myself. (and no I won't use sunbeds.) The only thing going for Winter as a season is crisp frosty mornings and of course SNOW! :smile:

Christmas - It has a horrible way of making us introspect as we remember Christmas more than most other times of year and its like there's some alignment where we stare down every past year of our lives. New Years can also be tricky - at best you can feel a sense of accomplishment at a good year and excitement for another one - at worst you mentally stagger into it convinced you aren't seeing the end of it (that joy happened one year for me.) However, there's an abundance of good food and drinking and for the less sociable at least there's sanctioned going out with colleagues. Although at heart it is a season for kids, those WITH kids and those in a good relationship. For anyone else it is a bit meh rather than myrrh!

You sound depressed and you have learnt a hard lesson - material things do not buy happiness. I know what you mean about wanting to be a kid again - give me a time machine and I'd happily push that button back anywhere between 1993 and 2000. It makes you realise what a precious thing you have at school, college, uni and when its gone its gone.
I can relate to the thinking about girls as well! If I had pushed on a few opportunities I had to get a girl in the past, I would quite possibly have a partner now. But there's the fear of 'selling your soul' to another person, which if you have been a lone wolf largely in your life (like me) can be terrifying. I think you have to throw yourself in and when you have it, you will probably not want to be without it!

The best thing to do if you loathe Winter (beside buying a light box or going on holiday somewhere warmer and lighter) is count down the days until the Winter Solstice. Then after Dec 21st, revel in the fact that each day is a little bit lighter and brighter, even if the change is pathetically painfully small to start with! Before you know it you will be back out on that garden absorbing the rays!
well, money doesn't make everybody happy.

No, I love winter, walking the dogs in the snow etc, my favourite with the fog down/snowing.
I used to feel like this every Christmas and winter without fail but I am the opposite this year for some reason. I have been full of festive cheer since November :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah especially this year as I am resitting a level modules during a gap year. Just want the spring to arrive as that signals the start of exam season. September will seem much closer then aswell
Reply 19
I used to love Christmas, but it feels like it's been different since.. 2012?? Why that year? A lot of people I've talked to seem to feel the same way, maybe the world really did end D: This year's Christmas is going to be very different to all the years before though, with my parents not together and all, and my older sister being at her boyfriend's. So it'll just be my mum, my two younger sisters, and me. I hope it'll be ok, but I'm going to have to change my mental definition of it now.

Winter I'm ok with, I prefer being warm but that's why it's so nice to be cooped up inside. I'm usually the warmest so people cuddle up to me which I'm ok with too :biggrin: My favourite part of it is when I had to wake up really early to head to the train station for uni back in 1st year. This was more Jan/Feb when there was a new dusting of snow on the pavements. Pure, unblemished carpets of soft snow. And complete silence too because it was so early, no cars to be heard at all and it was dark, the streets only lit by the streetlights.

I loved walking to the station on my own, nothing but the crunching of snow under my feet and the billowing of clouds that form from my breath. There's something really calming about walking on snowy pavements in the dark.

Daytime is not so enjoyable however, snow turns to sludge as people desperately clear the roads so that cars can pass safely, everything is wet and the snow turns a muddy brown-grey. It's horribly slippy too, I've been working on perfecting a snow-walking technique which I had to develop when walking home because I live in a place with lots of hills [[That's Wales in a nutshell]], I know all too well the uncomfortable pang of adrenaline as your centre of gravity shifts far beyond your feet, the friction you once trusted under your boots fails and time slows down as your rear heads towards the pavement like the moon in that Zelda game.

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

[[The world may as well end if people saw you fall, especially if you hear giggles]]
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending