Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barbell Complex Circuits watch

ReputationRep:
    I know these are advanced but I decided to give it a try yesterday. I've been lifting for almost 4 months now.What I did was:

Romanian deadlift - 10 reps
    Front squat - 10 reps
    Overhead press - 8 reps
    Barbell rows - 10 reps
    Back Squat - 10 reps
    so total = 48 reps

I was supposed to do 3 rounds of these.I used 25 Kg and did it at the end of my workout. The thing is after one round I was completely FINISHED and just had to quit.What could have gone wrong?
    By the way this works as cardio,my heart rate went crazy!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Either A you're not very strong yet

B you're cardio is abysmal

25kg is very very light for all of these exercises tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anything went wrong, they are just harder than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Either A you're not very strong yet

B you're cardio is abysmal

25kg is very very light for all of these exercises tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you ever done a complex like that? they're hard, you use nowhere near full weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-Barca)
    you ever done a complex like that? they're hard, you use nowhere near full weight
    They honestly are a waste of time. If you're finding a weight you can overhead press is remotely difficult for 10 rep back squats or deadlifts I have some very bad news for you...

For comparison, my ohp 1rm is the same as my first squat warm-up set which feels like nothing, and probably about 40% of my squat 10rm

ReputationRep:
    ^Mainly this.

Any circuit programmed so that you use the same weight for almost the same reps in OHP as squats is pretty stupid...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    ^Mainly this.

Any circuit programmed so that you use the same weight for almost the same reps in OHP as squats is pretty stupid...
    Yep, agreed! Circuit training can be effective when it's designed smartly.

25kg for 8-10 reps for muscle groups of hugely varying size is not smart design.

ReputationRep:
    lol you guys are tripping, complexes are definitely 100% a thing

http://www.t-nation.com/training/reb...with-complexes

just don't let anyone tell you crossfit invented them :nn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    lol you guys are tripping, complexes are definitely 100% a thing

http://www.t-nation.com/training/reb...with-complexes

just don't let anyone tell you crossfit invented them :nn:
    There's nothing wrong with doing a circuit style workout, in other words a big superset. What is silly is doing them for vastly different sized muscle groups with the same weight. What is hard for OHP is very easy to deadlift or squat, for example.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a circuit or a superset. Part of the value is you don't put the weight down between exercises. It is very hard. It is not supposed to be a squat workout. How have fitness section posters never heard of this stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    They honestly are a waste of time. If you're finding a weight you can overhead press is remotely difficult for 10 rep back squats or deadlifts I have some very bad news for you...

For comparison, my ohp 1rm is the same as my first squat warm-up set which feels like nothing, and probably about 40% of my squat 10rm
    where did it say that this was intended as a strength program? its purpose is cardio and muscular endurance and if you had ever done one you would realize how hard it is to do all the exercises with no rest and how taxing it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-Barca)
    where did it say that this was intended as a strength program? its purpose is cardio and muscular endurance and if you had ever done one you would realize how hard it is to do all the exercises with no rest and how taxing it is
    Whatever the intention, OHP for 80% of the total work of your back squats is terrible programming. You're not going to tax your legs at all unless you're a chicken.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be kidding me SMH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Gotta be kidding me SMH
    Good luck with your no progress goals of 2015

ReputationRep:
    Whatever the intention, OHP for 80% of the total work of your back squats is terrible programming. You're not going to tax your legs at all unless you're a chicken.
    you're still missing the point

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your no progress goals of 2015
    Because like all people who do complexes they comprise 100% of my training :woo:

ReputationRep:
    As H-Barka mentioned you guys are missing the point,these are not meant as a strength workout,you do it after your weight training for 10-15 minutes as cardio to get your heart rate up,it is not meant to hit muscle groups thats why the weight doesn't matter.what matters is you should be able to do all exercises without the bar leaving your hand,rest for about 90 seconds and proceed to second round.They are supposed to finish you off.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    As H-Barka mentioned you guys are missing the point,these are not meant as a strength workout,you do it after your weight training for 10-15 minutes as cardio to get your heart rate up,it is not meant to hit muscle groups thats why the weight doesn't matter.what matters is you should be able to do all exercises without the bar leaving your hand,rest for about 90 seconds and proceed to second round.They are supposed to finish you off.
    I don't think we missed the point of the routine, I think we just assumed it wasn't being used as an adjunct since you didn't mention any other programming in your OP.

In which case, we can't tell "if anything went wrong" since you haven't put any info in the OP about the rest of your programming!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some of you guys logic blows my mind. To the guy two posts up-

"it is not meant to hit muscle groups thats why the weight doesn't matter.what matters is you should be able to do all exercises without the bar leaving your hand,rest for about 90 seconds and proceed to second round.They are supposed to finish you off."

Why does it matter in the slightest that the bar never leaves your hand? That doesn't offer some magical metabolic properties. If the goal is to get highly our of breath with moderate muscular work, why not sprint or do box jumps or burpees or row with intensity on a rowing machine or something? Theres nothing magical about a circuit. But if you are going to do a circuit you should try to make it equally challenging for all the muscle groups involved.

Even if its "not meant to hit muscle groups" it still makes NO SENSE to be squatting the same weight you are OHPing. Even if the weight should be light as a proportion to 1RM for all exercises, it should still be more for the squats, or at least be ordered in decreasing exercise difficulty to account for increasing fatigue- i.e. for the same weight barbell throughout, start with strict OHP, then push press, then power clean the weight, then row the weight, then front squat the weight, then back squat it, then finally deadlift it...

ReputationRep:
    I just don't feel like arguing. Complexes are bad. Well done you convinced me :dontknow:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.