Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Texting crush watch

Announcements

Hi all,

I am at university with a girl on my course who is a good friend. I have known her for a few years now and have a little crush on her.

On imessenger we sometimes text for hours, but other times she will not respond for a day or two. I don't know what to make of this.

Most of the time she will initiate the conversation, when I reply she will then ignore my reply. The following day or a day or two later she will initiate the conversation again and ignore my response again. Is she just playing with me? or maybe she just initiates conversation to be polite.

Thoughts on how I should proceed (without appearing needy or confronting her)?

ReputationRep:
    If it's a conversation not worth having, she won't reply. Same as with real communication, it stops once it gets boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

I am at university with a girl on my course who is a good friend. I have known her for a few years now and have a little crush on her.

On imessenger we sometimes text for hours, but other times she will not respond for a day or two. I don't know what to make of this.

Most of the time she will initiate the conversation, when I reply she will then ignore my reply. The following day or a day or two later she will initiate the conversation again and ignore my response again. Is she just playing with me? or maybe she just initiates conversation to be polite.

Thoughts on how I should proceed (without appearing needy or confronting her)?

Try to meet up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    If it's a conversation not worth having, she won't reply. Same as with real communication, it stops once it gets boring.
    She usually starts the conversation - and it is often idle chit chat, but then leaves me hanging after I reply. Annoying because she will then initiate the chat again the following day and do the exact same thing.

Lately she has been quiet for a few days at a time.

I usually leave her to it, but as I said, I do like her and would consider more than friendship if she was interested

She usually starts the conversation - and it is often idle chit chat, but then leaves me hanging after I reply. Annoying because she will then initiate the chat again the following day and do the exact same thing.

Lately she has been quiet for a few days at a time.

I usually leave her to it, but as I said, I do like her and would consider more than friendship if she was interested
    Any thoughts, especially from girls, on why she does this and how I should proceed would be appreciated.

The possibilities I considered are:

1. The conservation is going nowhere, so she ignores my reply
    2. She initiates conversation to keep in touch when we don't meet for a while
    3. She is busy
    4. She realises I have a crush on her and only wants to be friends, so she cools down the messaging after a short time.
    5. She wants to keep the conversation going over a few days rather than have it end within half an hour, so doesn't reply until the following day

I suppose the possible reasons are infinite, and it is nothing for me to get worked up about. But find it a little bit annoying, especially because she is not the sort to mess around with peoples head

Any thoughts?

I know I am over analysing this, but it is something that has been bugging me for a few months now

ReputationRep:
    sounds like she's playing you around a bit and you don't want to be with a girl like that in my opinion..go for someone who you know for definite won't play you around
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Any thoughts?

I know I am over analysing this, but it is something that has been bugging me for a few months now
    Honestly, she may be feeling a bit paranoid that she's coming on too strong always being the one to initiate the chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kerrydouglas)
    Honestly, she may be feeling a bit paranoid that she's coming on too strong always being the one to initiate the chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That could be true.

More thoughts from girls point of view welcome...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That could be true.

More thoughts from girls point of view welcome...
    I've been in that position before and if that's the case try texting her first a couple of times? Sorry for such a slow reply how are things working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kerrydouglas)
    I've been in that position before and if that's the case try texting her first a couple of times? Sorry for such a slow reply how are things working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Month long Christmas holidays not helping.

It can be difficult to understand the other persons intentions/thoughts through text messages

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.