The Student Room Group

Obesity and food variety

I was reading an article and it says something along the following lines:

Slower habituation to food stimuli is reported in obese …people who have a slow rate of habituation might be especially vulnerable to the effects of food variety

I'm slightly confused. From my understanding habituation refers to becoming accustomed/ getting used to.

Here it is saying the more variety the more food you will take

If generally speaking obeese people take a long time to get used to a food (slow habituation) doesn't that means they will not switch foods often (i.e. they won't get bored of a foods and seek different varieties) so they aren't going to be looking for more variety as they are content with the food they are eating. Hence, there food would have less variety.

However, that doesn't make sense because if there was less variety then the article implies you would eat less but obeese people haven't been eating less they have been eating more.

Obviously these are just hypothesis/ theories so I'm not looking for someone to sort of dispute and say no it doesn't work like that. I'd just like someone to explain the "link" they are suggesting here between slow habituation rate and obesity.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Do you have a link to the original article?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending