Activities for old people... Watch

Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Basically I'm coordinating a voluntary project which involves taking a group of volunteers down to a residential home and playing dominoes and bingo and whatnot.

Two questions really...

1) What sort of bingo prizes do you think they'd appreciate? Bear in mind I've only got a budget of £50 for the whole year.

2) Are there any other activities you can think of that old people in a home might enjoy? It's kinda limiting and hard to be creative really.

Thanks for any help.
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1. a banana (don't they win that in the Simpsons?)
2. chess - keep the mind active.
Fleece
Rep:
?
Yeah, but chess would require our volunteers to be able to play and I doubt many can.
jellybaby1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey,

1) What about an audio book of some variety? It might be nice for them to be able to listen to a story on tape or CD. You could maybe get one that would be of interest to both the male and female residents, or get a separate one for each. They may be cheaper on tape though than CD. Or what about just normal music CD's - some easy listening or songs that they would have grown up listening to (1920's 1930's jazz maybe? You'd have to check the general ages of the residents). Failing that, how about a box of biscuits or chocolates?

2) Following on from the CD idea, maybe you could organise a 'singalong' or something to well known songs (sorry I don't know how old these people are, nor how appropriate this idea would be but just a thought). You could sing along to the CD and the volunteers could sit amongst the volunteers and help to carry the tune. In primary school a group of us would regularly go to the nearby residential home and play our instruments for them and they always really enjoyed it.

I hope these are helpful, I'm sorry if they aren't feasible ideas or what you were really looking for!
ben_g_ali
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i used to help run my local youth centre a few years back and asked local businesses to donate things.

i would ask your local woolworths/bigw for any damaged/returned puzzle games
George Agdgdgwngo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fleece)
Basically I'm coordinating a voluntary project which involves taking a group of volunteers down to a residential home and playing dominoes and bingo and whatnot.

Two questions really...

1) What sort of bingo prizes do you think they'd appreciate? Bear in mind I've only got a budget of £50 for the whole year.

2) Are there any other activities you can think of that old people in a home might enjoy? It's kinda limiting and hard to be creative really.

Thanks for any help.
Just buy a **** load of mints, they all like mints - I think.:p:
An extra potato with their dinner, perhaps? :p:
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ask. Them.
x kat x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
biscuits - chocolate ones or toffees so they're false teeth get stuck. :p:

on a more serious note how about some smellies or a book.
most oldies probaby would know how to play chess, but how about draughts or ludo.........just ideas
Azzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At the home my grandpa was in they used to do armchair aerobics. obv you would have to be trained or whatever, but even just like, gentle exercises in a chair...

and do they have a piano or a keyboard? no matter how crap it is, im sure you can find someone who can play. Christmas is the perfect time of year, cause the olds love a singsong round the old joanna. If all else fails, find a pianist and a singer and just give them a bit of entertainment. Might be worth asking relatives to see if they have kids that play any instruments or dance or anything. We all know how proud grandparents are and how they love showing off their grandkids.

ok so the latter trails off a bit from the original questions, but they're all ways of keeping the people who deserve care and attention happy
Fleece
Rep:
?
Hehe yeah, think i'll put up a poster in the Music dept. at uni to see if anyone will come play.

Thanks everyone
flo-xoxo
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
1) bingo prize - 45 min session with my friend Mad Mikey who is a bisexual prostiute he doesn't care about age or place
2) as demonstrated on the sex ed show an armchair can be a resourceful aid during elderly sex :L this pass a few minutes of their day!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1385)
79.55%
Leave (356)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed