Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me advice on a personal statement for a nursing degree.
    What should each paragraph include, what information should i include etc

ReputationRep:
    No. Do your own bit of research.

ReputationRep:
    only the typical on what you should include (not in any particular order)
    -why you want to study nursing/what appeal and prospects it holds for you (what's your plan for the future?)
    -why you are the 'perfect candidate', what have you done in your studies and outside of them in order to become to best candidate for this course?
    -information about yourself, your hobbies and interests outside of studies
    -anything that will make you stand out
    -good grammar, punctuation etc (cannot stress this enough, I've seen some drafts which are horrific) make sure the whole thing flows

once you write it, I recommend getting some teachers/advisors to have a look at it and add any 'final touches' or alterations if necessary.

also, if you are stuck, I'm sure there are plenty of samples posted by others online, just have a little look. that's what I did when I was writing mine. only reason I wouldn't necessary recommend this to everyone is because some people get put down by the quality of other statements so don't do this if you think you'll be one of those people.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by WOOD161)
    Can anyone give me advice on a personal statement for a nursing degree.
    What should each paragraph include, what information should i include etc
    Hi there! From a university perspective we will be looking for you to identify the branch of nursing you're applying to and tailor your interest to that area (so don't talk about paediatric if you're applying to adult). You should also demonstrate the skills/experience you have in relation to that branch. Carefully read the course descriptions and link your experience to what they indicate as essential skills (for example, communication - do you have a part-time job working with the public to show this?). You should also show an understanding of the environment, the demanding nature of it etc. We want to see you have researched it and know what you are getting in to, to be honest!

Hope this helps! Best of luck! Charlotte (TSR Official QMU Rep)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Look at the guidance in my signature - the subject specific guides. The medicine one will relate to the sorts of things to include

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for nursing and my PS layout is:

1st paragraph- what branch of nursing I'm interested in/why I want to be a nurse/acknowledging that it's a rigorous degree
    2nd and 3rd paragraphs- experience I have/voluntary work and how this relates to nursing/what skills it's given me that will make me suitable for nursing
    4th paragraph- extra reading/research I've done
    5th paragraph- short paragraph on my hobbies/how these relate to nursing
    And then a final few lines reiterating some of my qualities/how these will help me on the course/why I want to be a nurse
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Remember, with nursing you need to show
    - you know what skills are needed
    - how you have developed these skills and personal qualities
    - what you have seen to make you realise the realities of the course
    - how you know that your view of nursing is realistic (don't just put the nice bits!)
    - REFLECT on what you have seen. Keep talking about what things showed you rather than just what you saw.

That should give you a good flow throughout

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.