Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Below is a thread dedicated to all things Apprenticeship. This includes a lot of the FAQs seen on the Apprenticeships and alternatives to University recently.

I hope this helps.

Apprenticeship age:
    In the UK your age is not a deciding factor. You can take on an apprenticeship at any age. I know people who were in their late 40's who took on and completed an apprenticeship. The only time age will be a factor is if the company who is offering the apprenticeship requests a certain age range.

I've been to college, can I still become an apprentice?
    Yes. The only thing you can't do is study the same subject at the same level. For example; if you've studied Engineering at college and have been awarded with City and Guilds level 2 qualifications, you can't study a level 2 again. You can however study at level 3 and above.

How long will I be an apprentice?
    This all depends on the subject you're studying and the level. Generally, the higher the level, the longer the course. However, there are exceptions.

How much will I get paid as an apprentice?
    This will depend on your age.

- 16 to 18 years old and those that are 19 and over who are in their first year = £2.73 per hour.

- Apprentices aged 19 or over who have completed their first year must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age.

Where can I find apprenticeship vacancies?
    Take a look here:

- http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/

- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk

What can I become an apprentice in?
    Basically anything you can think of. Especially trades.

What qualifications do I need?
    That will depend on which subject you're applying for. But most only ask for basic GCSE in English and Mathematics.

What can I do after an apprenticeship?
    You could either go into higher learning, become a skilled member of your workforce or take on other training in your subject.

Is an apprenticeship for me?
    If you give the Apprenticeships.org website a call you can ask them all about becoming an apprentice and then decide if it's the right route for you.

- 0800 015 0400 / 02476 826482 or email them at [email protected] .gov.uk

- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk or call 0800 100 900

If I have missed any important questions post them below and I will be happy to add them on.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.