Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would somebody be able to help me with the calculation for preparing a buffer solution?

I need to make 500ml of 50mM phosphate buffer solution using KH2PO4 (acid) and KOH (base) at pH 7.5.

I usually do it the stupid way by using a pH meter, but the experiment I have got to do rule out using a pH meter (the experiment is extremely sensitive to contamination from trace metals).

So I need to work out the exact amounts of the acid and base to weigh into a set volume of water. Does anybody know how to do this? If somebody could write down the workings, that would be awesome. Rep for anybody that can help!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    buffers are made from the salt of a weak acid + a weak acid (or vice versa salt of weak base + weak base)

by the equilibrium law:

Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA]

take logs

logKa = log[H+] + log[A-]/[HA]

multiply through by -1

pKa = pH - log[A-]/[HA]

so if you know the pKa of the weak acid and the intended pH

yo can work out possible combinations of [A-] and [HA] from:

pH - pKa = log[A-]/[HA]

so now the fun bit is reactiong the KOH with the KH2PO4 in the correct quantities to obtain the correct final proportions...

as you haven't provided the pKa value or the original acid abnd base concentrations I can't do it for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    buffers are made from the salt of a weak acid + a weak acid (or vice versa salt of weak base + weak base)

by the equilibrium law:

Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA]

take logs

logKa = log[H+] + log[A-]/[HA]

multiply through by -1

pKa = pH - log[A-]/[HA]

so if you know the pKa of the weak acid and the intended pH

yo can work out possible combinations of [A-] and [HA] from:

pH - pKa = log[A-]/[HA]

so now the fun bit is reactiong the KOH with the KH2PO4 in the correct quantities to obtain the correct final proportions...

as you haven't provided the pKa value or the original acid abnd base concentrations I can't do it for you
    How do I get the pKa values? Sorry for being stupid! And thanks for your reply
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    you can't work them out unless you have the concentration and pH of the weak acid/base in question. Look up the pKa in a databook.

If you have the pH and concentration then use the equation in the first post:

Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA]

and as [H+]=[A-] then Ka=[H+]^2/[HA]

you know [HA] (its the concentration of the weak acid)
    you can get [H+] from the pH
    so you can work out pKa

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I think i'll get a lecturer to explain it to me. Thanks anyway.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Some pKa and pKb values. Phosphoric acid included.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.