Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've been accepted for this course but wanted to know a few things to aid my final decision as my firm choice;
    1. how good is this course at the University of Manchester?
    2. is doing a BA Econ too flexible (and therefore probably more difficult to get a job after)
    3. how much maths is involved in this course? How difficult is it?
    4. Anything worth knowing before that is not mentioned until you start the course?

Any answer to these questions will be really helpful and any anecdotes are welcome. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    1. I didn't like it very much and switched to Accounting & Finance in my 2nd year as I wanted to focus on the accounting and finance related modules rather than Business Management. However, if you don't like your course you could easily switch to other courses in BA Econ, such as Economics, Economics & Finance, Politics etc.
    2. Yes, it is very flexible and you can choose modules across many schools/departments of the SOSS.
    3. Not very much. You can choose Introductory (basic GSCE/A-level stuff), Further or Advanced maths. I chose Further Maths and got 70% without being too good in Maths. I think there are a lot of Maths/stats in the 2nd year of Economics.
    4. You are supposed to choose modules across different schools of SOSS in your first year such as Politics, Finance and Accounting in your first year. Politics was a compulsory module that had no relevance to my degree. You are 'forced' to choose modules outside of your Business Studies degree in the first year because there are actually no Business Studies modules available.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 17, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.