Turn on thread page Beta

Should there be 'boys' and 'girls' toy sections in shops? watch

ReputationRep:

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    OMG what did you ask Santa for FullofSurprises ?

:creep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

Only the usual girly things like a new set of tools for fixing things around the house, oh and a book about martial arts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Only the usual girly things like a new set of tools for fixing things around the house, oh and a book about martial arts.
    You know that big S only brings gifts to good girls ? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes because they're divided according more to target audiences than gender specifically. It's just statistically more likely girls will prefer dolls than boys for example. These shops are businesses; they need to set up toys to appeal to who they think are going to buy them. People need to relax; think of it like how Waterstones divides it's kids section by ages.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who denies that there are strong biological differences between boys and girls is frankly living in fantasy-land.

Boys have more testosterone, they like to play with guns etc, in general. Girls have a maternal instinct, they like to play with dolls etc, in general. These are inherent. They can not be wished or legislated away!

Should a boy feel fine playing with a doll, of course! Should a girl feel fine playing with a gun, of course! But let's not pretend that girls/boys have exactly the same preferences in general.

So why wouldn't Toys R Us divide the sections in this natural way, it makes it easier for people to find what they want. If they felt that they were putting children off buying the toys they actually wanted, then guess what? They'd already have arranged the stores along sexless grounds.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, it is issues like this which have made the feminist movement a laughing stock akin to the creationists in America who flatly deny science.

Hardly a soul denies that women and men should have equal opportunities etc in this day and age. Seemingly feminists want to believe that there are simply no differences whatsoever between the sexes, that we are completely akin. That is a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    Yes because they're divided according more to target audiences than gender specifically. It's just statistically more likely girls will prefer dolls than boys for example. These shops are businesses; they need to set up toys to appeal to who they think are going to buy them. People need to relax; think of it like how Waterstones divides it's kids section by ages.
    Up to a point, but it gets bad when, for example, science toys are automatically placed in the Boys section.

Surely these things are part of programming boys and girls to think they are more different than they really are, hence later on you get far more guys doing well paid jobs in computing, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Quite frankly, it is issues like this which have made the feminist movement a laughing stock akin to the creationists in America who flatly deny science.

Hardly a soul denies that women and men should have equal opportunities etc in this day and age. Seemingly feminists want to believe that there are simply no differences whatsoever between the sexes, that we are completely akin. That is a lie.
    The point is - are some of the alleged differences really there, or are they programmed at an early age by culture?

There was an interesting programme on BBC not long ago with Alice Roberts where scientists in the US set up play areas and with young toddlers gave them different kinds of toys with lots of encouragement. The girls showed a slight preference for dolls, but also really did want to play with the toy truck, particularly when they were encouraged by the researchers - boy toddlers also played happily with the dolls. They then repeated the test, but with the parents doing the handing of toys. Total change - parents generally passed the truck to boys and the doll to girls.

ReputationRep:
    Toys are just toys. Arrange them by age instead of gender, then it would be more​ easy to find what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:

Bob the Builder by the sounds of it.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Bob the Builder by the sounds of it.........
    more like Bob the Duilder

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's a big deal, generally speaking - if you're a doll-loving boy or a car-loving girl, just walk to the other side of the shop. however, the wilkinsons doctor outfit for boys/nurses outfit for girls thing annoyed me quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    more like Bob the Duilder

:rofl:
    :lol::lol::lol:

ReputationRep:
    Is this some kind of sexist master plan by toy shops or just something has evolved to meet people's shopping preferences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Toys are just toys. Arrange them by age instead of gender, then it would be more​ easy to find what you're looking for.
    But there are some toys no girl in her right mind would ever like! I think we are getting way too PC, and I live in LA (known for being PC)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baileym)
    But there are some toys no girl in her right mind would ever like! I think we are getting way too PC, and I live in LA (known for being PC)!
    Well then no one has to buy it for her :s:

There are cases of girls and boys actively not choosing toys because they say "Toys for >other gender<", and that just shouldn't be the case.

ReputationRep:
    'Yes'.

While parents can obviously buy their son a girls toy if they wish i don't see why we must encourage boys and girls to be the same. While i'm sure you'd argue that this would be a step towards equality (and perhaps girls playing with trucks would encourage them to be truckers) it also has negative aspects in that it reduces the masculinity and femininity of people which i personally don't think has been a good thing so far (granted not all women are aggressive and wearing 'power suits' and being uber-career women).

ReputationRep:
    I think toys should be more gender-neutral in general- when I look back at my parent's toys things like rollerblades etc did not automatically come in a "boy's" and "girls" version, there was just one version for both. Things like lego have also become more gendered in recent years, and I don't think it's a good thing. Obviously girls still had dolls, but they weren't all covered in bright pink they are now...

Ideally I'd like there to be no gender division in toy shops (someone above suggested age instead? that is a good idea) but I'm not sure how realistic that is in the near future.
    Perhaps more likely to happen would be if there was, at the very least a large central area with all the toys that aren't strongly gendered, like science kits, puzzles, stuffed animal etc etc (also, if you changed the packaging a lot of "girls" craft-type activities and "boys" meccano should really be gender neutral)

Die-hard little tomboys looking for action men and boys who want my little ponies (my cousin lol) are already bravely venturing into the "wrong" section, but they aren't really the problem, it's a problem for the "normal" (feminine) girls who are being made to feel that science and building stuff is not for them, or the boy who wants a cooking kit but doesn't want to go into the "girls" section (and why are they always pink?!). Also relatives looking for a christmas present for a child they don't know all that well are likely to make a bee-line for the "correct gender" section and consequently their choices are limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Up to a point, but it gets bad when, for example, science toys are automatically placed in the Boys section.

Surely these things are part of programming boys and girls to think they are more different than they really are, hence later on you get far more guys doing well paid jobs in computing, for example.
    Don't get me wrong; there are certain toys that are neutral but they should have their own section, not as "gender neutral" but as educational or whatever, which I have seen in catalogues before. You make a good point, but I still think boys and girls toy sections in shops should still be a thing.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.