The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Atheists celebrating Christmas? Excuse Me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Barbecue
So, you're fine with celebrating pagan festivals but not christian?

Well it's not even pagan, it's just a celebration of the winter solstice, which is perfectly valid as it is true that the days will start getting longer. What's the problem with celebrating a natural event.
Original post by Torum
Well it's not even pagan, it's just a celebration of the winter solstice, which is perfectly valid as it is true that the days will start getting longer. What's the problem with celebrating a natural event.

Sure mate, whatever helps your anti-christian propoganda
Reply 82
So, you're fine with celebrating pagan festivals but not christian?

No, I am saying Christianity set the precedent for hijacking festivals and so can't complain if their festival gets hijacked. For me Christmas is a cultural event for swapping presents, eating too much and spending time with family and has no more religious meaning for me then Valentines, Halloween or my birthday.
Reply 83
Sure mate, whatever helps your anti-christian propoganda

What's wrong? It's the truth.
Original post by lucaf
No, I am saying Christianity set the precedent for hijacking festivals and so can't complain if their festival gets hijacked. For me Christmas is a cultural event for swapping presents, eating too much and spending time with family and has no more religious meaning for me then Valentines, Halloween or my birthday.

Does it empower you to steal festivals from the evul christians?:smile::smile: Does it make you feel like a euphoric gentleman who debates with class and intelligence?
Original post by Torum
But that date has nothing to do with jesus and has nothing do with him and it is only the celebration of the winter solstice passed down by religions through the years to maintain control of people of dying religions. Christians have no reasons for celebrating Christmas, you can celebrate it but not for religious reasons.

It's not relevant when jesus was born, the only relevant thing is what Christmas is supposed to be a celebration of.
Reply 86
Does it empower you to steal festivals from the evul christians?:smile::smile: Does it make you feel like a euphoric gentleman who debates with class and intelligence?

I have realised that you haven't denied what we have said only our motives for doing so, do you accept that we are right?
Original post by Torum
I have realised that you haven't denied what we have said only our motives for doing so, do you accept that we are right?

Well no because you're essentially wrong. Christmas is well known for having pagan roots from Europe, to deny them is just your selective bias. Christmas has always had religious significance, almost every celebration from ancient times did because it was a superstitious world.
Reply 88
Well no because you're essentially wrong. Christmas is well known for having pagan roots from Europe, to deny them is just your selective bias. Christmas has always had religious significance, almost every celebration from ancient times did because it was a superstitious world.

Even if it has always had some religious significance the whole idea behind it, the winter solstice, it is just a natural event so it can be celebrated by anyone but the christian reason for doing so is wrong.
Reply 89

Get over your persecution complex, nobody is trying to steal anything from you. While the reason Christmas is celebrated is (up until recently at least) religious, the actual traditions (presents, decorating trees, family meals) are completely secular and cultural and there is no reason to stop those traditions just because I don't believe in God.

Does me putting up Christmas decorations affect you in any way whatsoever? Does it somehow stop you celebrating the birth of Jesus? No of course not. So what is your problem with it?

And you admit Christmas had pagan roots, so saying people can't take part in Christmas traditions because they are not Christian is just hypocritical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Torum
Even if it has always had some religious significance the whole idea behind it, the winter solstice, it is just a natural event so it can be celebrated by anyone but the christian reason for doing so is wrong.

Why is it wrong? Does celebrating a baby being born offend you so much?
Original post by lucaf
Get over your persecution complex, nobody is trying to steal anything from you. While the reason Christmas is celebrated is (up until recently at least) religious, the actual traditions (presents, decorating trees, family meals) are completely secular and cultural and there is no reason to stop those traditions just because I don't believe in God.

Does me putting up Christmas decorations affect you in any way whatsoever? Does it somehow stop you celebrating the birth of Jesus? No of course not. So what is your problem with it?

This post would be good if I was actually a Christian, but I'm not, try harder Johnny
Reply 92
This post would be good if I was actually a Christian, but I'm not, try harder Johnny

Well then what the hell are you actually arguing?
Original post by lucaf
Well then what the hell are you actually arguing?

The same reason I can debate any religion I'm not a part of, because I can.
Reply 94
The same reason I can debate any religion I'm not a part of, because I can.

Then my point still stands. Atheists are not trying to steal anything from Christians. For us it is a cultural event and due to the secular nature of the traditions there is nothing hypocritical about celebrating it. And since the date and most of the traditions were appropriated from pagans to begin with it would be hypocritical of Christians to criticize us for it.
Of course I celebrate Christmas - as an atheist I celebrate everyday I am alive! :smile:
Reply 96
Why is it wrong? Does celebrating a baby being born offend you so much?

Why not celebrate it in the summer when he would have been born, I'm just saying the time is wrong. But also I am against celebrating the birth of one individual why not other people, it's saying one person is above the rest.
Reply 97
Original post by Torum
Why not celebrate it in the summer when he would have been born, I'm just saying the time is wrong. But also I am against celebrating the birth of one individual why not other people, it's saying one person is above the rest.

well to be fair they think he is above the rest, thats the point :tongue:
Original post by Torum

Because, nobody actually knows the date he was born.
Reply 99
Because, nobody actually knows the date he was born.

So don't celebrate it at all, but your point's fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending