anastas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In my ps i have talked only about one english writer and have made a reference to another english poet. All the other writers/poets i have included are not english speaking. Do you think this will be seen as something bad from the admission tutors?
melissamessy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anastas)
In my ps i have talked only about one english writer and have made a reference to another english poet. All the other writers/poets i have included are not english speaking. Do you think this will be seen as something bad from the admission tutors?
If anything it will show how broad your interests are - do you read the other writers/poets in translation or in their original language? Either way, it shows a wider awareness of literature within the world. However, i guess it's always good to appreciate the english literary tradition. But I talked about Dostoevsky in my ps and got an interview at Oxford then ended up going to Durham, so from experience as long as you're demonstrating a bredth of and passion for reading (regardless of nationality) then it's all good!

*Also many university courses include works from foreign writers anyway e.g. i'm reading chekhov and ibsen in drama at the minute (Russian and German... I think haha). Also york university requires a language at A level due to their emphasis on foreign literature)
anastas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by melissamessy)
If anything it will show how broad your interests are - do you read the other writers/poets in translation or in their original language? Either way, it shows a wider awareness of literature within the world. However, i guess it's always good to appreciate the english literary tradition. But I talked about Dostoevsky in my ps and got an interview at Oxford then ended up going to Durham, so from experience as long as you're demonstrating a bredth of and passion for reading (regardless of nationality) then it's all good!

*Also many university courses include works from foreign writers anyway e.g. i'm reading chekhov and ibsen in drama at the minute (Russian and German... I think haha). Also york university requires a language at A level due to their emphasis on foreign literature)
Thank you so so much for your help, really! I've read them in translation because unfortunately i don't speak the languages they were originally written in Congratulations for both the interview and for getting into university, this is amazing That's what i was thinking of too, that it would be better to show i'm interested in literature as a whole-it's all literature after all hehe
Wowwww how i'd love to read those two in depth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads