The Student Room Group

History Degree. Am I aiming too high?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethblur
Yeah, the people on here worried me too haha. That's brilliant! Glad to hear. I didn't really like the look of LSE's history course for me... But it's a fantastic university for sure. Yeah, Durham is scarily competitive for History. Surprised I haven't been rejected yet for the joint honours with Ancient History! If I got it, it'd be a dream come true. I'd still be happy if I went to York though :smile: I got AAAB at AS, dropped english lit which I got a B in. My advice is to make notes throughout the year, so by the time study leave comes, you just have to learn them. I'm a crammer and it means making good mindmaps in advance is crucial. Sorry to hear about your curent circumstances. You should let your school know when they are writing your reference so that the university can take your circumstances into consideration.

Thank you, and congrats on those AS grades!
Reply 141
Hi everyone, just received my offer for Ancient History at Durham, asking for AAA. Dunno how to feel, as I initially applied for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History. My other 4 offers are all 'History' so i'm not sure what to do. I really need to look into the courses more. Relieved I have heard back from all 5 now.
Hi everyone, just received my offer for Ancient History at Durham, asking for AAA. Dunno how to feel, as I initially applied for Ancient, Medieval and Modern History. My other 4 offers are all 'History' so i'm not sure what to do. I really need to look into the courses more. Relieved I have heard back from all 5 now.

Yet another example of Durham rejecting applicants for their chosen course and offering them something else. At least your alternative course is closely related.
Reply 143
Original post by ageshallnot
Yet another example of Durham rejecting applicants for their chosen course and offering them something else. At least your alternative course is closely related.

Yeah, I feel quite lucky that I got Ancient History rather than something like Anthropology, especially since the one I applied for was joint with Ancient History. I am unsure whether Ancient History would close more doors than Modern would? I love the modules, but I never expected to be in this position. Could you become a secondary school history teacher with an ancient history degree? or could you only become a classical civilisation/ ancient history teacher?
Yeah, I feel quite lucky that I got Ancient History rather than something like Anthropology, especially since the one I applied for was joint with Ancient History. I am unsure whether Ancient History would close more doors than Modern would? I love the modules, but I never expected to be in this position. Could you become a secondary school history teacher with an ancient history degree? or could you only become a classical civilisation/ ancient history teacher?

I suspect that some doors might well be closed, though that is just a feeling and not based on any evidence. I had a quick look at the two relevant courses at Durham and pure Ancient History would be a different experience, I feel, particularly if you take up Latin or Greek.

I don't know if it would be a problem in becoming a secondary school History teacher, but this shouldn't be too difficult to find out.
Reply 145
I suspect that some doors might well be closed, though that is just a feeling and not based on any evidence. I had a quick look at the two relevant courses at Durham and pure Ancient History would be a different experience, I feel, particularly if you take up Latin or Greek.

I don't know if it would be a problem in becoming a secondary school History teacher, but this shouldn't be too difficult to find out.

Yeah, I understand. If I studied Ancient History, it wouldn't be compulsory to study Latin or Greek, but the option would be there. It is compulsory for Classics though. I also would be allowed to take 2/6 of my modules in 1st year from different departments, eg. History or Theology (both of which I love.) Yeah, just need to look into it a bit more. I wonder when I'll hear from my college? Someone told me that in an e-mail it said anyone who doesn't hear by March 1st will hear from their college at any time, so does that mean within a week or a month? I have no idea.
Yeah, I understand. If I studied Ancient History, it wouldn't be compulsory to study Latin or Greek, but the option would be there. It is compulsory for Classics though. I also would be allowed to take 2/6 of my modules in 1st year from different departments, eg. History or Theology (both of which I love.) Yeah, just need to look into it a bit more. I wonder when I'll hear from my college? Someone told me that in an e-mail it said anyone who doesn't hear by March 1st will hear from their college at any time, so does that mean within a week or a month? I have no idea.

Personally I'd tell Durham to **** off on principle and go to King's or York - which were my joint second choices when I applied to university. (The fact that choices had to be ranked indicates how long ago I studied History!)

No idea about college choice, sorry.
Reply 147
Personally I'd tell Durham to **** off on principle and go to King's or York - which were my joint second choices when I applied to university. (The fact that choices had to be ranked indicates how long ago I studied History!)

No idea about college choice, sorry.

Haha, true. Yet, the ranking, student satisfaction and graduate prospects are all very very attractive. Funny how we picked the same places.
Haha, true. Yet, the ranking, student satisfaction and graduate prospects are all very very attractive. Funny how we picked the same places.

Do you want to study in the centre of London or in a campus uni on the edge of a small city?
Reply 149
Do you want to study in the centre of London or in a campus uni on the edge of a small city?

It's definitely between York and Durham! Love the idea of a college and an historic town
Original post by geoking
And what would you do after the masters?

Point is, get into one of the universities and then change course to something that is more career orientated.

m9 ur studying HUMAN (not sciency physical) Geography you bleeping bellend.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2559931

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending