Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school messed up. My AS-level results were AABB, with one of the Bs in English Literature, and it was literally a couple of marks off of an A. The whole English class did badly on this module, and the school offered to pay for remarks to be done for everyone. Yesterday, the English class are told that the remark was never sent off, due to a large administrative error at the school - the guy responsible forgot basically. Now the deadline had past for remarks and there is nothing they can do. Should I bother mentioning this on my application form or personal statement? If it had gone my way I could have ended up with AAAB. The most likely outcome would be that it would have stayed the same, but now I’ll never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisk47)
    My school messed up. My AS-level results were AABB, with one of the Bs in English Literature, and it was literally a couple of marks off of an A. The whole English class did badly on this module, and the school offered to pay for remarks to be done for everyone. Yesterday, the English class are told that the remark was never sent off, due to a large administrative error at the school - the guy responsible forgot basically. Now the deadline had past for remarks and there is nothing they can do. Should I bother mentioning this on my application form or personal statement? If it had gone my way I could have ended up with AAAB. The most likely outcome would be that it would have stayed the same, but now I’ll never know.
    You can always resit a module or two in January.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think unis will judge on the basis it possibly would have been upgraded. They take results as they stand.

Leave as is, and re-sit if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    yeh don't mention " i should have got an A but an admin error means i did not"

I assume your still gonna be predicted an A, and you can always resit the paper in January.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mention it if I were you. Anyone could say 'I would have got an A if it wasn't for.....' and unless it's something genuine like illness or family problems, it just sounds like an excuse. Resit the dodgy module in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I wouldn't mention it if I were you. Anyone could say 'I would have got an A if it wasn't for.....' and unless it's something genuine like illness or family problems, it just sounds like an excuse. Resit the dodgy module in January.
    :ditto:
    Perhaps the reference would be a better place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    :ditto:
    Perhaps the reference would be a better place?
    yeh but then it just makes the school look like idiots " THis puil should have got an A but we basically forgot to send off the remark" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh but then it just makes the school look like idiots " THis puil should have got an A but we basically forgot to send off the remark" lol
    So? As long as I got a good reference explaining why I should of got an A!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    So? As long as I got a good reference explaining why I should of got an A!
    if i was a uni and a school said this to me, i'd start questioning their competence overall, and doubt whether they really would have got an A, and then questionin their predictions of A2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    You could try some pester power with your school...

Ask if they will send letters to all of your choices explaining the situation (it sounds so much better from the school). If they don't play ball, ask your parents/guardians to ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maucej)
    You could try some pester power with your school...

Ask if they will send letters to all of your choices explaining the situation (it sounds so much better from the school). If they don't play ball, ask your parents/guardians to ask them.
    this is the school that forgot to hand in a remark paper sheet lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a bit risky I guess!

You could get very angry about it, and ask them to e-mail the unis and copy you in so that you know it's been done... Ultimately, they're accountable for the mess, and if you're of a mind to make them pay you have pretty good grounds for getting them produce something.

But you might like to check what they're saying first! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    if i was a uni and a school said this to me, i'd start questioning their competence overall, and doubt whether they really would have got an A, and then questionin their predictions of A2 grades.
    If that was the case, and the school is crap overall, then it wouldn't be Chrisk's fault for not getting the A. In some cases if the school is crap, universities have lower entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the entire class bombed the module would suggest there was a weakness within the class, which is more likely than 30+ administrative/marking errors.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.