The Student Room Group

6 month review

Hi,

My 6 month review is scheduled next week, so I'm looking for advice as to how I combat it.
Reply 1
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being sackable), I'd say the lowest rating I could get is 8.5 and I'm typically pesemistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymousk
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being sackable), I'd say the lowest rating I could get is 8.5 and I'm typically pesemistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean 'combat it'? Sit there and listen, then respond appropriately to what you have heard!
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
That's pretty optimistic.

I would go in expecting it to be worse if I was you, you can then only be pleasantly surprised.

Find out what you are assessed against (competences, objectives, targets etc) and be prepared to be given evidence of where you have and haven't met them. You will always be given development points even if you are a 10 on your sliding scale. Don't take anything personally if there is constructive feedback and if there is anything really contentious, write it down.

Prepare ideas of what you personally want to work on/develop (skill set, training, projects, workload) and come with a clear plan of how you could achieve this, and what help you will need from them as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'll give context of my situation, I was recruited alongside 3 other analysts and in my 3 month review I was told that I was comfortably the best new recruit, again this has been backed up by other colleagues in general comments about work. To give an example of my achievements, we had 2 issues loading prices into our ERP, 1 was loading prices with certain formatting and the other to design a template to load prices. My manager had escalated both these issues to her manager and they were looking into IT or even a programmer resolving these issues however I managed to FIX both on my own.
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
Then you won't have to combat your review at all; it sounds like it will be a positive experience.

What are you hoping to get out of the review?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

1) Combat was poor word choice on my part, is there anything I should prepare for or anything I should do in advance.

2) An understanding of what I can achieve at the company and if it's the right place for me to develop.
Original post by anonymousk
Hi,

1) Combat was poor word choice on my part, is there anything I should prepare for or anything I should do in advance.

2) An understanding of what I can achieve at the company and if it's the right place for me to develop.

Typical questions might be "what do you think you've done well?" "what skills do you think you could develop?" "what would you like to achieve in the next 6 months"? A lot of managers will look to you to lead the conversation with your thoughts. They won't usually mind if you have some thoughts noted down and take them in with you - it's not a test!

Try to exercise some restraint even if you think you've done very well. You should be able to identify a couple of areas in which you could still develop or aspects of the company or systems you could still develop your knowledge of. And make your objectives more specific, achievable goals - so if you'd like to be promoted for example, don't go in with "I'd like to get promoted", but rather something like: "I'd like to shadow a senior analyst", "I'd like to help mentor or train the next new recruits", "I'd like to go on X relevant training course", etc. Too many ambitious employees make the mistake of seeking to expand their CV or gain new skills so relentlessly that the manager actually questions their commitment to their current role. In a good appraisal an employee strikes the right balance between seeking to progress in the organisation but also seeking to do their current role as well as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest