The Student Room Group

Wise to apply for both physics and electrical engineering at same uni?

The title pretty much sums it up. My personal statement is physics-oriented. I've heard that they only accept you for one course and reject you for the other if both courses are at the same uni, is that true?

In the case of interviews, how much would the questions vary? I know they both have to be physics based, but would I also have to do additional reading to prep for the electrical engineering one?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Trainz
The title pretty much sums it up. My personal statement is physics-oriented. I've heard that they only accept you for one course and reject you for the other if both courses are at the same uni, is that true?

In the case of interviews, how much would the questions vary? I know they both have to be physics based, but would I also have to do additional reading to prep for the electrical engineering one?

Thanks in advance

They're not totally unrelated, so although it might be a little risky it's not impossible to have a good ps showing your passion for both.
I've seen people get more than one offer from the same uni, so you could get an offer for both.
I don't really know for the interviews, but yeah definitely do some extra reading to be on the safe side.
Reply 2
Original post by BobbieShamrock

I've seen people get more than one offer from the same uni, so you could get an offer for both

It's quite normal if the courses are within the same department - as you're still only one candidate, and usually courses are closely related enough if they're in the same department.

Personally, physics and engineering are quite different, as even though they have similar basis and skills they have very different areas of focus.

@OP: i'd be concerned that you're wasting a choice on the engineering. E-mail the departmental admissions and ask them whether they would even consider you given the PS direction.

As for the interview, i'd kind of expect they won't ask you anything you shouldn't already know (i.e. it will be maths/physics based, some EE related stuff - so basically your current academics, and general ideas about the course and its subject area, because you should know that because you're interested in the course etc.
If you do get an interview there might be someone on the specific university forum that may have more specific advice.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply