The Student Room Group

Why are women expected to look so perfect?

Even when men are not? I remember a guy/friend I used to live with (went on several dates with) hating it when I cut my hair short (it was chin length) and telling me to grow it long. He had a receding hairline and was basically bald at the front/shaved the rest but no one pestered him about it. He also didn't make much effort with clothing ie jeans and dirty trainers most of the time yet kept hinting at me to wear heels, dresses and dress up more ( Im only 4ft 11 but hate walking in heels!). I even went to the gym and because I like lifting weights and having lean muscle (helps with my running/climbing sport too) he said I should not go as much (plus I was flat chested but gaining weight doesn't change that for me). I think that's why he ended it, we were complete opposites lol. Seems I did everything wrong but I was just being who I am.

Are there any men (in their 20's or 30's) who would accept someone like me lol? It seems that only men over 50 are interested in me :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old are you?
Original post by civilstudent
Even when men are not? I remember a guy/friend I used to live with (went on several dates with) hating it when I cut my hair short (it was chin length) and telling me to grow it long. He had a receding hairline and was basically bald at the front/shaved the rest but no one pestered him about it. He also didn't make much effort with clothing ie jeans and dirty trainers most of the time yet kept hinting at me to wear heels, dresses and dress up more ( Im only 4ft 11 but hate walking in heels!). I even went to the gym and because I like lifting weights and having lean muscle (helps with my running/climbing sport too) he said I should not go as much (plus I was flat chested but gaining weight doesn't change that for me). I think that's why he ended it, we were complete opposites lol. Seems I did everything wrong but I was just being who I am.

Are there any men (in their 20's or 30's) who would accept someone like me lol? It seems that only men over 50 are interested in me :/

tbh the guy you dated sounds like a bit of a prick
Original post by Uw0tm8_
How old are you?

How will that help us to answer this? (Not being confrontational, just wondering)
Reply 4

First let's set the groundwork. There is no such thing as perfect. No woman looks perfect. Ok now moving on, I would be lying if I said men don't notice every single detail about the looks of a woman they love. To them it is of cardinal importance. Second only to how nice the woman is to him.

Let's not pretend these priorities are the same for women. I don't know any woman who can honestly say she would like it if her man was better looking than her.
Original post by xylas
First let's set the groundwork. There is no such thing as perfect. No woman looks perfect. Ok now moving on, I would be lying if I said men don't notice every single detail about the looks of a woman they love. To them it is of cardinal importance. Second only to how nice the woman is to him.

Let's not pretend these priorities are the same for women. I don't know any woman who can honestly say she would like it if her man was better looking than her.

Women notice every single detail on the men they love too, I noticed everything from his dirty shoelaces to how many little biscuit crumbs he has stuck in his beard most mornings (I could even match the crumb to the biscuit!).

I don't know any woman who would honestly prefer an ugly man. Though as you say maybe the priorities arn't the same hence why he ended it with me, but this is what I am questioning.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lionheart96
tbh the guy you dated sounds like a bit of a prick

That's probably why she dated him.
Original post by xylas

Really? I would have thought lots would want their boyfriend to be better looking than them, especially if they don't consider themselves to be pretty (this is the case for me anyway).

Also I think that whilst women do take into account men's appearance, they don't expect so much from them (ie make-up, shaving...)
This is so overstated. They really aren't expected to be amazing by your average bloke. But putting (purportedly) beautiful "perfect" women in advertises raises money from both men and women.
Reply 9
Women notice every single detail on the men they love too, I noticed everything from his dirty shoelaces to how many little biscuit crumbs he has stuck in his beard most mornings (I could even match the crumb to the biscuit!).

I don't know any woman who would honestly prefer an ugly man. Though as you say maybe the priorities arn't the same hence why he ended it with me, but this is what I am questioning.

Yes but the huge difference is you are talking about things on the man not the man himself! The man does not notice the these things (at least he isn't looking for them) but he is all the time gazing at the woman's features herself such as the shape of her cheeks, nose, eyelashes, lips etc.

No of course no woman would prefer an ugly man. But once a man is considered 'good looking', he does not score many more points for being 'even more good looking'. For women that statement is completely false and a woman can not score more points in any better way than to increase her looks if she can.

He ended it with you because he does not love your 'woman's features' so to him you do not give him value (or points) that he thinks he can get from someone else. Whether or not he ever manages to get that value is another matter.
Reply 10
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Really? I would have thought lots would want their boyfriend to be better looking than them, especially if they don't consider themselves to be pretty (this is the case for me anyway).

Also I think that whilst women do take into account men's appearance, they don't expect so much from them (ie make-up, shaving...)

You may not consider that about yourself but take it from me that a man who wants you will find you pretty. What you are talking about is a case where the woman is completely ugly so no man would fall for her, but in this case there would be no man to compare her to.

Of course women shouldn't expect their men to groom to that extent that the woman feels she actually has to put effort in to compete with him.
Stop acting like women aren't obsessed with men's looks.

If anything, women get more hung up on the details of men's looks then the other way around.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol what?

Men are expected to be intelligent, confident, funny, successful, tall, good looking, rich, muscular, large penis etc etc

All we want is an above average face and a small waist. All a woman needs to do to be considered attractive is not be overweight, it's not hard to watch your diet and do cardio a couple times a week.

Lol at women complaining about looks when it's men who are under more pressure to look good plus men are expected to make the first move while you hide behind your make up.

When do you ever see men making a big deal about a woman's height, confidence or how much money she makes?

That's one hell of a generalisation from one guy. I'm pretty relaxed in my appearance, but I hold women to the same standard.
(I could even match the crumb to the biscuit!).

Now thats scary.
No such thing as an ugly girl, only a lazy girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys remember it's always the guys fault! Have you never heard of the super duper evil Patriarchy? Gawd
Original post by xylas
You may not consider that about yourself but take it from me that a man who wants you will find you pretty. What you are talking about is a case where the woman is completely ugly so no man would fall for her, but in this case there would be no man to compare her to.

Of course women shouldn't expect their men to groom to that extent that the woman feels she actually has to put effort in to compete with him.

Wait so you think that no women would want her partner to ever look better than her??? Maybe some do but many don't. You're making some pretty big assumptions that you're not really qualified to make.
Original post by Gambit92
Lol what?

Men are expected to be intelligent, confident, funny, successful, tall, good looking, rich, muscular, large penis etc etc

All we want is an above average face and a small waist. All a woman needs to do to be considered attractive is not be overweight, it's not hard to watch your diet and do cardio a couple times a week.

Lol at women complaining about looks when it's men who are under more pressure to look good plus men are expected to make the first move while you hide behind your make up.

When do you ever see men making a big deal about a woman's height, confidence or how much money she makes?

The bolded bit is true, and something I hadn't really considered before...
Perhaps we should all just accept that both genders have standards and expectations that society expects them to live up to, and they're both a little unfair.
Because looks are what are valued most in a woman.

Original post by Jebedee
No such thing as an ugly girl, only a lazy girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True for some ugly people (who are made ugly by bad skin, hair, overweight etc) but not for others (bad facial structure for example).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending