A lack of outrage at Muslim on Muslim violence. Watch

Rusty33
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Chris Rock does a good bit about something that's parralell to this.
*Edited for content*
(After a portion of stand up about Nig*as vs Black People)
"I see some black people looking at me.
'Man. Why you gotta say that? It ain't us, it's the media. It's the media that's distorted our image. Why must you come down on us? It's the media.'

Please, cut the ****ing shi**. OK? When I go out to the money machine tonight, I ain't looking over my back for the media. I'm lookin for nig*as!

Ted Couple ain't never took sh*t from me. Nig*as have. Sh*t, you think I got three guns in my house cuz the media outside? Oh, sh*t! Mike Wallace! Run!"

The point being that the media reporting something does not make it the medias fault. Those content of those cartoons does not change with exposure. Asking the media not to report something because it might have a certain reaction is called censorship.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rusty33)
Chris Rock does a good bit about something that's parralell to this.
*Edited for content*
(After a portion of stand up about Nig*as vs Black People)
"I see some black people looking at me.
'Man. Why you gotta say that? It ain't us, it's the media. It's the media that's distorted our image. Why must you come down on us? It's the media.'

Please, cut the ****ing shi**. OK? When I go out to the money machine tonight, I ain't looking over my back for the media. I'm lookin for nig*as!

Ted Couple ain't never took sh*t from me. Nig*as have. Sh*t, you think I got three guns in my house cuz the media outside? Oh, sh*t! Mike Wallace! Run!"

The point being that the media reporting something does not make it the medias fault. Those content of those cartoons does not change with exposure. Asking the media not to report something because it might have a certain reaction is called censorship.
My point wasn't just with the cartoons - the fact that they were showing protests was encouraging more protests - theres a thing such as restraint.

And I don't think you can sit their with a straight face and tell me the media cannot distort things and make them sound worse than they are because if you believe that then I really do feel sorry for you.
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jojo72)
My point wasn't just with the cartoons - the fact that they were showing protests was encouraging more protests - theres a thing such as restraint.

And I don't think you can sit their with a straight face and tell me the media cannot distort things and make them sound worse than they are because if you believe that then I really do feel sorry for you.
Walk down Main St in Tehran with a cartoon of Muhammed. Let me know how that goes.
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd expect to be beaten up because I would be taking the piss out of a common ground that people have.

Just like I would expect to be beaten up if I went down Portsmouth High street at night shouting Southampton FC are the Best Portsmouth are scum. (or if I had a banner to that effect)
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd expect to be beaten up because I would be taking the piss out of a common ground that people have.

Just like I would expect to be beaten up if I went down Portsmouth High street at night shouting Southampton FC are the Best Portsmouth are scum. (or if I had a banner to that effect)
So, let me get this straight. You think that if you walked down Main St in Tehran with a cartoon of the Prophet, you'd be beat up in the same way that you would if you talked a little bit of smack on a Uni Rival's campus? You are so far off, I don't even know what to say.
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So, let me get this straight. You think that if you walked down Main St in Tehran with a cartoon of the Prophet, you'd be beat up in the same way that you would if you talked a little bit of smack on a Uni Rival's campus? You are so far off, I don't even know what to say.

They are rival football teams - and I can assure you I would be battered (probably to death) if I did.

I have seen peopel beaten badly in neutral places for wearing rival SHIRTS but if you went to a specific area shouting/bannering it then you would be in trouble.
GregoryJL
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You perhaps would, but you shouldn't be, and certainly if you were attacked, you would hope the police would at least make an effort to catch and prosecute those who attacked you. Ultimately, even if we accept the somewhat silly conclusion that the media was to blame for the protests, Muslims as media-manipulated drones are not much a step up from Muslims as those who want to bully people out of their civil rights, is it?
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by GregoryJL)
You perhaps would, but you shouldn't be, and certainly if you were attacked, you would hope the police would at least make an effort to catch and prosecute those who attacked you. Ultimately, even if we accept the somewhat silly conclusion that the media was to blame for the protests, Muslims as media-manipulated drones are not much a step up from Muslims as those who want to bully people out of their civil rights, is it?
Your right, good thing they re in the minority tho right?
Invocation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tehjonny)
Much like the lefts 'blame the US/UK for everything' attitude...:p:
exqueeze me ?
Invocation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tehjonny)
No, it didn't actually. I believe Iraq has had a government, at first an occupational military one, and then an elected one...maybe you missed that, and think that our soldiers are running around with Totenkopf skulls on their helmets...

If you actually believe that the UK/US are carrying out genocide in Iraq, you are quite frankly not worth talking to.
It's inevitable that innocents will end up 'collateral'; but the whole Iraq war was based on lies. He never had WMDs and the fact of the matter is, the small group of neo-cons have been trying to invade Iraq since the mid-'90s at least.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...06622816922747
Invocation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All I know is I'm going to draw pictures of whoever the hell I want, and if anyone has something to say about it they are more than welcome. I think it's STUPID that Hollywood can make a movie titled White Men Can't Jump, but I have to refrain from drawing a cartoon of Moohumid with a broom between his knees? Syke. Don't like it? Let's fight.

Every religion gets made fun of, Islam should be no different just because it's followers have sand in their drawers. I'm not a Muslim, and I don't have to follow Islamic laws.
Thats fine. But unnecessary flaming of a religion is irresponsible and childish.
gas_panic!
Badges: 12
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by the_chauffeur)
Thats fine. But unnecessary flaming of a religion is irresponsible and childish.
It was good, if only for the fact that it shows some people up for what they really are.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
They are rival football teams - and I can assure you I would be battered (probably to death) if I did.

I have seen peopel beaten badly in neutral places for wearing rival SHIRTS but if you went to a specific area shouting/bannering it then you would be in trouble.
Let me get this straight - you're comparing the people of Terhan to football hooligans?
Rusty33
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Let me get this straight - you're comparing the people of Terhan to football hooligans?
Thank God I'm not alone in my... disbelief?
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a valid point in a way though, some people have a nigh religious passion for football. I know far more fights break out in clubs where I live over football than religion.
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)

I am saying if you piss people off with something that they believe in for no reason then you are likely to be attacked by them.

For some football is like a religion, and it will piss then off if you diss their team.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
replace hooligan with fanatic in both contexts and it works better.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
I am saying if you piss people off with something that they believe in for no reason then you are likely to be attacked by them.

For some football is like a religion, and it will piss then off if you diss their team.
So again... you are drawing a moral equivilence between the two groups?

And saying "if you piss me off Ill deck you (or behead you)" is the kind of thing you hear from bullies, dictators and wife-beaters...

Again - are we talking about moral equivilience?
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
So again... you are drawing a moral equivilence between the two groups?

And saying "if you piss me off Ill deck you (or behead you)" is the kind of thing you hear from bullies, dictators and wife-beaters...

Again - are we talking about moral equivilience?

No, I am saying if you piss a group of people off they will possibly come after you - be it on religion or any other factor.

Point being - you can piss off all types of people in different groups and still get the same reaction - not just from Muslims.

Rusty indicated that he doesn't like the fact people don't draw cartoons for fear of offending - there are plenty of other things you can do with your free speech that will get you in just as much trouble (as I gave with an example).
Lawz-
Rep:
?
No, I am saying if you piss a group of people off they will possibly come after you - be it on religion or any other factor.
A little bleedin obvious - dont you think? "If you piss people off they may become violent"?

Point being - you can piss off all types of people in different groups and still get the same reaction - not just from Muslims.
Yes - indeed, there are many groups who choose to kill people when they get angry ... are you saing that Muslims are one of those groups? If so what moral judgement do you make about that?

Rusty indicated that he doesn't like the fact people don't draw cartoons for fear of offending - there are plenty of other things you can do with your free speech that will get you in just as much trouble (as I gave with an example).
Yes - indeed, and what do/should we think about people who are happy to see death metered out for offensive speech?

Essentially you are saying "Muslims are not the only people who become violent when insulted" ... of course - I've seen Joe Pesci in Goodfellas... but again isn't that a very obvious point that says nothing about the moral turpitude of such an approach?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (69)
19.66%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.03%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.32%

Watched Threads