This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some unis use the cascade system to award degrees I believe that from that you can drop 2 marks. Therefore in theory you could probably just fail 2 and provided you got 70 for everything else get a first.

Resits arent standardised. I have always had capped resits where the highest mark you can get on a resit is a pass, but I know of unis where you can get a first for a resit. Some unis such as edinburgh you cant resit after first year for some subjects. Its such a difference its hardly fair. But as usual the government isnt addressing the real issue which is the lack of standardisation between degree courses, if they were standardised then there wouldnt be such a large amount of first and 2.1s.
Its hardly surprising that more than 20% of people get firsts from oxbridge, they have been selected because of their academic excellence to be there. Putting in a more rigid classification system would disadvantage these people who may have worked a damn site harder to scrape their first than someone at another institution.
There need to be strict degree standards across institutions in my opinion thats where the problem lies. If you look at passed papers for a module you are studying at various institutions at different places in the league tables I can guarantee that there will be a wealth of difference in the quality of the exam questions which is hardly fair.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Some unis use the cascade system to award degrees I believe that from that you can drop 2 marks. Therefore in theory you could probably just fail 2 and provided you got 70 for everything else get a first.

Resits arent standardised. I have always had capped resits where the highest mark you can get on a resit is a pass, but I know of unis where you can get a first for a resit. Some unis such as edinburgh you cant resit after first year for some subjects. Its such a difference its hardly fair. But as usual the government isnt addressing the real issue which is the lack of standardisation between degree courses, if they were standardised then there wouldnt be such a large amount of first and 2.1s.
Its hardly surprising that more than 20% of people get firsts from oxbridge, they have been selected because of their academic excellence to be there. Putting in a more rigid classification system would disadvantage these people who may have worked a damn site harder to scrape their first than someone at another institution.
There need to be strict degree standards across institutions in my opinion thats where the problem lies. If you look at passed papers for a module you are studying at various institutions at different places in the league tables I can guarantee that there will be a wealth of difference in the quality of the exam questions which is hardly fair.

I nearly got a first in my BSc(Hons). I had to do a viva-voce to defend my dissertaion. Unfortunately it was so crap I couldn't defend it so got a 2:1 instead.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I nearly got a first in my BSc(Hons). I had to do a viva-voce to defend my dissertaion. Unfortunately it was so crap I couldn't defend it so got a 2:1 instead.
which uni did you go to Howard?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
which uni did you go to Howard?
Oh, a very crappy one indeed. A red brick uni. University of Central Lancashire

I then became more elitist and did my LLb(Hons) with the OU
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Oooh I've got a soft spot for UCLan - almost everyone from my A level classes went there (or John Moores)

Very good Language School.
Actually, despite it being low in the rankings, it was pretty good. My BSc was in Quantity Surveying and UCLan had a bloody good construction department at the time (I don't know what it's like now)

It was also a very good party uni. I really liked it and Preston generally.

In some ways I wished I'd have gone someplace more prestigious but to honest I was too bloody thick! Having said that, I think people get too worked up about where they study. Not a single employer has ever given a toss about where my degrees came from!
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, a very crappy one indeed. A red brick uni. University of Central Lancashire

I then became more elitist and did my LLb(Hons) with the OU
There's nothing to be ashamed of in being educated in Preston!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
There's nothing to be ashamed of in being educated in Preston!
Je ne regret! (Obviously I didn't study French)
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Actually, despite it being low in the rankings, it was pretty good. My BSc was in Quantity Surveying and UCLan had a bloody good construction department at the time (I don't know what it's like now)

It was also a very good party uni. I really liked it and Preston generally.

In some ways I wished I'd have gone someplace more prestigious but to honest I was too bloody thick! Having said that, I think people get too worked up about where they study. Not a single employer has ever given a toss about where my degrees came from!
because you've subdued them into submission with your personality
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Out of all the exams I've taken at university at university its the proper assay style ones I get the highest marks in.

A typical mutiple choice exam question consists of if you had 124m of cat5 cable connected to a switchless hub calculate the propogation delay in ms from the hub to the client.

1)1.666ms
2)1.667ms
3(1.668ms
4(1.667ms

P.S The answeres here are just made up in my head, none of them are correct! but you get the idea.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
because you've subdued them into submission with your personality
Or, bull****ted them into believing I actually have a clue!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (128)
46.55%
Take exams next summer (40)
14.55%
Change uni choice through clearing (68)
24.73%
Apply to uni next year instead (25)
9.09%
I'm not applying to university (14)
5.09%

Watched Threads