Turn on thread page Beta

Help me choose a car please! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a 4x4, which is as economical as possible.

- Budget is £2-5k~
    - It needs to be ok offroad (fields for camping trips etc)
    - It needs to be able to pull a caravan or boat (on trailer)
    - Should be comfortable for everyday driving
    - Preferably an automatic/semi automatic, but not essential.
    - Cheapish to maintain
    - Decent quality cockpit

Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

- Budget is £2-5k~
    - It needs to be able to pull a caravan or boat (on trailer)
    - Should be comfortable for everyday driving
    - Preferably an automatic/semi automatic, but not essential.
    - Cheapish to maintain
    - Decent quality cockpit

Help
    range rover/jeep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

Help
    Most cars will be fine on fields, country roads, etc. I wouldn't necessarily just get a 4x4 for that reason alone.

ReputationRep:
    i want/need to be able to lower the boat off the slipway with it but if a general car can do that then fine... what do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine with a normal car if it is just a dinghy. For a caravan, a normal car will be fine too although you will need to be looking at diesel, or around the 2 litre petrol engine range.

ReputationRep:
    she's 21'

It'd need to be an estate then....

so just a ford estate or something will be fine?

edit: why the hell did that pic go so small :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    she's 21'

It'd need to be an estate then....

so just a ford estate or something will be fine?

edit: why the hell did that pic go so small :s
    Woah proper boat, I had imagined it was something like a mirror, or a laser. For something that size I would have thought you'd rent a mooring for the majority of the year?

A 4x4 in that case will be worth looking at for traction on the slip, and a large estate/pickup. Try to avoid cars like the shogun as they rust badly and saltwater won't help.

ReputationRep:
    I REALLY REALLY want to get a proper boat (40-50' footer) and a mooring for it. It's so expensive to maintain though. Sea moorings are several k a year as well as drydocking etc etc etc. Sitting in wales on my carvan plot is a much cheaper option. It's definately one of my ambitions though

Would something like an old landrover be ok? Or one of those trucks like every young man has in the US?

ReputationRep:
    You need a vehicle which is capable of pulling 300lb ft of torque, which is obviously 4WD. It may be possible to go a tad lower with torque, but only in comparison to the vehcile's kerb weight.

I have to disagree with Pookie, and go for the Shogun / Pajero which are one of the best VFM 4x4 you can purchase. They do exactly what say on the tin, and I know many an enthusiast to religously pronounce the Pajero's might.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Pug 306 turbo diesel. Work horses. Whatever you do do, don't get a 4x4 for towing a caravan lol

ReputationRep:
    ^ Don't get it? As I said in the other diesel thread, the DT is rubbish, if you're going to get a Pu 306, make it be the HDi, but even they don't have 300lb ft of torque with a measily 90hp.

A 4x4 would be perfectly adequate for boats and caravans. One of my bosses had every 4x4 you could think of coupled with cars to tow his caravan (I used to take the piss something chronic) and ended getting the Pajero which was smaller than most 4x4's and actually looked like a proper 4x4 for the real graft. Had it ever since.

ReputationRep:
    How expensive are the Pajero's then? And how comfortable are they for standard driving about?

Thanks pookie and walshie

Ryan...could I even fit a winch onto a 306? I have this horrible feeling it'd just slide into the water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I have to disagree with Pookie, and go for the Shogun / Pajero which are one of the best VFM 4x4 you can purchase. They do exactly what say on the tin, and I know many an enthusiast to religously pronounce the Pajero's might.
    The trouble is though they rust quickly anyway, when combining them with saltwater they are even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Get a Pug 306 turbo diesel. Work horses. Whatever you do do, don't get a 4x4 for towing a caravan lol
    Erm have you actually read the thread and seen the size of the boat? :rolleyes: I think a 306 might be a tad small

ReputationRep:
    I had a look on ebay to see what was avalible in your price range and there seem to be some good toyata hilux in that range.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to tick all the boxes (as well as looking like a beast!)

Looks like I can afford a 91-99 version (or perhaps a 2003 model at a push).... would you recommend 2.5 of 3.0 TDi?

How many miles are the engines good for? How cheap/easy is maintenance?

Will I have to sell 1 kidney or both to pay the insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure the braked towing weight is sufficient as the vehicle will be swayed possibly quite violently if the necessary figure is not reached.

On motorways the vehicle suffers continual speed pick ups, wind problems amongst others.

I still root for the Pajero, purely based on the fan club, the amount of 4x4's my boss had, and to be extremely satisfied when having towed with the Pajero. The Toyota Hilux looks a prime suspect for rust problems to be honest.

If you're getting soemthing like the Pajero, just make sure its not the 2.3, and IS the 2.5 litre which has slightly more torque as well as bhp.

(Original post by samba)
    lol. I'm afraid insurance is rather dear funnily enough. Something you will have to check out, maybe all due to the fact it is a 4x4 sadly. They should have 2 categories: 'The real 4x4' and the 'Fake 4x4' sections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Seems to tick all the boxes (as well as looking like a beast!)

Looks like I can afford a 91-99 version (or perhaps a 2003 model at a push).... would you recommend 2.5 of 3.0 TDi?

How many miles are the engines good for? How cheap/easy is maintenance?

Buy it with someone... save money all round

ReputationRep:
    Anybody care to take a wild guess at what insurance prices I'm currently being quoted for 2003 hilux and pejero's?

I am a 23 year old male.

ReputationRep:
    What insurance area?

How many no claims?

Any insurance claims?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.