Walkaah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
  • Do any of you have a dash cam?
  • Which one do you have and was it worth the money?
  • If not why not?

People buy dash cams to obtain evidence of an incident that may occur, however at the same time you are running the risk of someone potentially breaking into your car to steal the dash cam. Is it worth the hassle?
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can pick up one for about a tenner, plus a few quid for a 16/32gb SD card. There's a roundabout near my house that's notorious for crashes and it's one of those 4 laners with traffic lights all over it. There's been newspaper campaigns etc to get it redesigned it's that bad.

Saw a video on facebook recently of a guy driving through it and he goes to exit the roundabout and a car cuts right across him and he hits the back left side of it. He had a dash cam and could prove that he was cut up. If he didn't, the other drive could easily claim that they rammed him as the damage was at the rear. I'm thinking about attaching one to my car as some people are a total danger.
Walkaah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ToastyCoke)
You can pick up one for about a tenner, plus a few quid for a 16/32gb SD card. There's a roundabout near my house that's notorious for crashes and it's one of those 4 laners with traffic lights all over it. There's been newspaper campaigns etc to get it redesigned it's that bad.

Saw a video on facebook recently of a guy driving through it and he goes to exit the roundabout and a car cuts right across him and he hits the back left side of it. He had a dash cam and could prove that he was cut up. If he didn't, the other drive could easily claim that they rammed him as the damage was at the rear. I'm thinking about attaching one to my car as some people are a total danger.
hmmm... I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I saw the reviews on the cheap ones weren't good
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dashcam isn't something optional any longer. Loads of dishonest people about and plenty that will lie if it means they won't be at fault, considering how much insurance cost these days there isn't a shortage of fibbers about.

Do people break-in to steal dashcams? Absolutely. One thing you should never do is tell someone other than the police that you have dashcam footage, something my daughter learned the hard way. Someone reversed into her at a supermarket and then turned around to say she knocked into that car when she was stationary as she was waiting for that car to come out of the lot. She showed the person footage of the dashcam and that very night the car was broken into, pretty obvious someone was looking for that dashcam because the entire car was ransacked for it. Lucky she had taken it out of the car to upload the footage.

Been told by several lorry drivers that it isn't unusual that after an accident someone had tried to steal their dashcam. One driver recently told us that usually if you had a dashcam stolen from your vehicle prior to any incident you should take extra precaution as it may mean that your vehicle is being targeted by someone for a crash for cash scam.

I mount mine to a clip onto the rearview mirror, mine is essentially a buggered iPhone 5s 64GB I bought specifically for the camera. To the uninitiated it just looks as if I'm using a mobile for navigation purposes. I use this app called Vidometer and it does what it needs to do. When I park, I simply remove the clip from the mirror and throw it under the seat or into one of the doorbins.
MJH216
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does having a window mount for my phone count and i film occasional videos using my phone? if so then yes . I'd love to get a gopro in the future though.
daydreamer93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess theres no such thing as a inconspicuous dash cam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.79%
No (97)
10.39%
I'm not old enough (428)
45.82%

Watched Threads