Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    It depends purely on the circumstances, that particular course may not have had a good reputation. It all depends if they have enough space as well.

That said I am not suggesting you try and get into Oxbridge with CCC because you happen to doing well at Bolton or somthing :p: Its always worth trying though.

At the end of the day what have you got to loose?
    No, my course didn't have a good reputation

Plus, as someone else pointed out, I had ABC A Level whereas I think at the time Uni of Sheffield were asking for AAB/ABB, so thinking about it, maybe they took my A Levels into account as well as my first year uni grades...

I don't really know why though, I didn't get any reasons, just a straight "No" :rolleyes:

Such a shame cos Im at Uni of Sheffield now doing the LPC and I *love* it and just wish I'd been able to do my undergrad here as well ... ah, the joys of hindsight! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sol89)
    Exactly, people can say that certain ex-polys are higher on such 'n' such league table than a traditional uni, but at the end of the day, tradition is greatly respected.
    That's my personal opinion anyway.
    In all fairness most of the universities you list are not really traditional. They are only 40 years older than expolys. Some universities are hundreds of years old. Also, if we are talking roots - some expolys where founded as colleges as least 150 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    plenty of plymouth graduates are in high flying jobs as we speak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    Also

* Abertay University
    * Anglia Ruskin University
    * University of Brighton
    * Bournemouth University
    * University of Central England - UCE Birmingham (one of Britains biggest unis)
    * University of Central Lancashire
    * Coventry University
    * De Montfort University
    * University of Derby
    * University of East London
    * University of Glamorgan
    * Glasgow Caledonian University
    * University of Gloucestershire
    * University of Greenwich
    * University of Hertfordshire
    * University of Huddersfield
    * University of Humberside - now the University of Lincoln
    * Kingston University
    * Leeds Metropolitan University
    * Liverpool Hope University
    * Liverpool John Moores University
    * London Guildhall University - now part of London Metropolitan University
    * London South Bank University
    * University of Luton now the University of Bedfordshire
    * Manchester Metropolitan University
    * Middlesex University
    * Napier University
    * University of North London - now part of London Metropolitan University
    * Northumbria University
    * University of Northampton
    * Nottingham Trent University
    * Oxford Brookes University
    * University of Paisley
    * University of Plymouth
    * University of Portsmouth
    * Robert Gordon University
    * Roehampton University
    * Sheffield Hallam University
    * Staffordshire University
    * University of Sunderland
    * University of Teesside
    * Thames Valley University
    * University of the West of England
    * University of Westminster
    * University of Wolverhampton
    Not a correct list - there weren't polytechnics in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Not a correct list - there weren't polytechnics in Scotland.
    lol i took it str8 from Wiki, blame them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfection)
    You did Management in first year. Then switched to Philosophy. And now you want to switch universities. All in all, do you really know what you want?

Anyway, dont most universities have residence requirements before awarding degrees. So even transfer students have to start in year 2, I dont think you can go to another university just for the last year and get a degree. Thus, youd be looking at going back a year.

You are right that I wasn't exactley sure what I wanted to do! BUT most people have to admit that 17 is quite a young age to have to decide what you want to be/do for the rest of your life...and a degree can be quite an indication of this.

This is why I have quit my job, left uni and I am going back home to earn some money full time. I am going to do a distance degree when I am ready through OU or ICS...once I have given it a lot of thought...if I am not already in a job I want to stay in. I feel VERY happy now!

I know for SURE and have done for a while that I want to teach, but without a degree it is difficult to get into so I will be looking into all options once I am settled back at home.

My lecturer said if I leave I will be 'just another failure' ... Nice hey?

P.S. A couple of uni's cant remember which at the moment have said they would take me straight into final year so it is university dependent no doubt about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    In all fairness most of the universities you list are not really traditional. They are only 40 years older than expolys. Some universities are hundreds of years old. Also, if we are talking roots - some expolys where founded as colleges as least 150 years ago.
    well you obviously don't know a lot then. of course the ones 40 years ago are traditional, just as the ones that were built hundreds of years ago - they all count as 'old universities' as opposed to the ex-polys which only got 'university status' in 1992. and like you say - some ex-polys were founded as colleges 150 years ago, not UNIS. there's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    yeh exactly... i'm not saying they're not good i'm just saying they're not traditional and therefore they're less respected by some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx Bex xx)
    well you obviously don't know a lot then. of course the ones 40 years ago are traditional, just as the ones that were built hundreds of years ago - they all count as 'old universities' as opposed to the ex-polys which only got 'university status' in 1992. and like you say - some ex-polys were founded as colleges 150 years ago, not UNIS. there's a difference.
    suddenly i dont know the difference between expolys, redbrick and plateglass universities? dear me!!!

ReputationRep:
    plenty of plymouth graduates are in high flying jobs as we speak
    Quite narrow minded, but depends on what you mean by high flying jobs is it members of board of directors or top lawyers? It certainly can't be in the business area because I worked in a equity firm (for the CEO....) and everyone on the top of the company as well as all its partner companies either attended oxbridge, london's top colleges or a civic university (e.g. leeds or birmingham). On the recruiting side post 1992- universities are generally seen as the weakest applicant, and the last graduates to be looked at regardless of degree performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    lol i took it str8 from Wiki, blame them.
    I guessed it would be something like that. Can't decide whether I should go and ahead it or not now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    suddenly i dont know the difference between expolys, redbrick and plateglass universities? dear me!!!
    well you don't appear to.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what I would classify where I am as I am half in an ex-polytechnic and half in a traditional university. I however I don't think that you can so easily say that all people who come from traditional universities will be more respected as if the course that the person at the ex polytechnic considered a better course that the same course at one of the traditional universities then surely employers will know this.

ReputationRep:
    lol you really are stuck in the middle arent u, but as it Brighton THEN sussex we'll say expoly, if it was sussex THEN brighton we'd sya traditional lol.

however as BSMS is across the road form sussex and u are closer to sussex than brighton u could be traditional

so we'll just settle with stuck in the middle lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    lol you really are stuck in the middle arent u, but as it Brighton THEN sussex we'll say expoly, if it was sussex THEN brighton we'd sya traditional lol.

however as BSMS is across the road form sussex and u are closer to sussex than brighton u could be traditional

so we'll just settle with stuck in the middle lol.
    I would go with that but the main teaching building is on the sussex campus and we spend more time there (4 days a week) than we do at the brighton falmer site (1 day a week) so I guess that personally I feel more like a sussex student.

Now I am up at the hospital though so I don't spend time on either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigger1430)
    Hey hey,

I'm having a pretty rough time at the moment but I am getting there slowly but surely...I am currently at an ex-poly MMU and I am in my 2nd year, and I am not having a great time...not because of the uni but because of personal reasons.

I have no choice but to start looking at all my options...for the ease, and the fact I don't need any more hassle at the moment I am staying here for my second year but I am considering transfering my final year to another university.

I know that I need to contact universities individually to see what their opinions are on the possibility of a move and I am going to start doing that today.

Thing is, my being at an ex-poly...and although in my opinion it is a great uni....I am worried that my choices would be limited in universities I could attend. So I was wondering if anyone knew which university are ex-poly's as my chances may be higher there...or even if anyone knows of other unis that would accept an ex-poly student.

For the record I am working at a high 2:1 to a 1st standard in each assignment if that would matter at the unis.

Thanks for any help you can give me x

OH YEAH by the way...may be a dumb question but what exactley is a polytechnic? lol
    on your second year you can tell your tutor to demote you to from a BA/BSC to a HND.

Then with the HND you can start a fresh at a different University on their final year programme! ...(anyone agree with me?)

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by randdom
    I don't even know what I would classify where I am as I am half in an ex-polytechnic and half in a traditional university.
    You're at a medical school and thats all that matters for you and your employers! As long as you're got a medicine degree it doesn't matter which university you went to. Though I do find it quite strange how with the joint medical schools you belong to two universities. I have a friend at BSMS as well, she's just started her first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Quite narrow minded, but depends on what you mean by high flying jobs is it members of board of directors or top lawyers? It certainly can't be in the business area because I worked in a equity firm (for the CEO....) and everyone on the top of the company as well as all its partner companies either attended oxbridge, london's top colleges or a civic university (e.g. leeds or birmingham). On the recruiting side post 1992- universities are generally seen as the weakest applicant, and the last graduates to be looked at regardless of degree performance.
    well im not talking magic circle law firms (obviously), and i dont know any directors of large london firms. i know clinical and educational psychologists with a first degree from plymouth (which are incredibly competitive professions) and to name drop, people at bae systems, general dynamics and ernest & young who are in graduate and management positions (not CEOs). At international business level i could imagine a problem for expoly graduates. Id understand preference for oxbridge and perhaps some london colleges but i dont think its right to equate universities like leeds or birmingham as superior institutions necessitating interviews over expolys. Its like you implied, it depends on the context (but that context is rare in my experience given the relative ease expoly students seem to have compared to common TSR claims that they are going to struggle to compete)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx Bex xx)
    well you don't appear to.
    is that because i questioned how traditional a university was which was granted its royal charter in the 50's and 60's? Sussex is only 30 years older than the expoly's!!! how can we claim that its traditional when its so new?! lets not get carried away with this notion of tradition, trying to create an ambiguous age gap between expolys and plateglass unis and polishing it off as some sort of mark of quality. 15 years ago the plateglass unis where dubbed 'new unis' - i dont see why they have become traditional in 15 years. Clearly a uni like Sussex is a good uni, and is not an expoly, but its still relatively new compared to other unis.

in another 15 years will expolys join the traditional gang?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what I would classify where I am as I am half in an ex-polytechnic and half in a traditional university
    doesn't matter for medics or people in the health profession becuase you are nearly guranteed a job

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.