Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    England...

Dear xxBexxx, were you ever going to reply to my post earlier? Otherwise I may be forced to say 'Gap year mfl student going to Sussex, what do you expect?'.
    and your point there would be?

ReputationRep:
    That you avoid any criticism of your points by ignoring it and going and hiding under a rock somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I was just stating that at mine, which generally ranks in the top 25
    Just wondering belle what school did you go to?

ReputationRep:
    ooo this thread was an entertaining read....

I have AAB at A level, last year i got offers from durham, bristol, york, nottingham and bath....this year i'm applying again to five ex-polys. They're a hell of a lot better for what I now want to do (dance), and I don't really think the people from there should be looked down on because of the institution they have chosen. All universities have strengths and weaknesses in different subjects, maybe a course at an ex-poly is going to be better for one person's individual needs than a course at a more traditional uni because the content interests them more. If you work hard and really want to get somewhere, you should be able to get the job you want wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    I knew summers existed for a reason
    Don't you read! even gap year in industry don't count so how does the summer count. Experience is working in a permanent contracted job for at least 2 years.

Fair enough, city university vs nottingham trent, or Hull vs Portsmouth or Plymouth.
    City is better than Trent

Because they're a good applicant irregardless of the educational institution which they attended?
    That doesn't matter, have you looked at a employer looking for employees in a company? Graduates generally don't (unless you wokred for 2 years before) have no real experience so the potential employees have no background history at the workplace. The employer is trying to find 10 people to interview for a place why should he or she waste the resources to interview all the candidates. With no experience they have no choice but to look at thier education. The place where I worked for has no new ex poly graduate because the employer looks at thier applications last, and by then a traditional university graduate would have taken the job

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering belle what school did you go to?
    I'm a bit naughty, when I said top 25, I meant it was number 25 :p: I went to St Helens in Northwood, not that you would have heard of it probably, its not one of the more well known independent schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx Bex xx)
    ohh that was a constructive argument... but hey university of hertfordshire, what do you expect.
    LOLOLOL STFU!!

Ok, let's get eloquent, since regrettably you don't speak 'retarded'. Your main gripe is that 'employers' see ex-poly's as less deserving of respect. Now his the crux of the issue - Polytechnics were set up in the first place to provide vocational training. 'Traditional' universities did more, huzzah, traditional subjects. Now, we've been over the timeline and we know that the traditional universities are older - as universities - but that a lot of the Poly's out-live them as institutes of education. If we can forget the word 'university' for a moment - because it is, afterall, merely a label - and think of all institutes as simply places to learn something.

Now, it stands to reason that, generally speaking, the longer somewhere has been teaching something, the better it is going to be at it - it will gain a reputation, therefore bringing it more academics, thereby increasing it's reputation further etc etc. It is, afterall, no coincidence that Oxbridge is the best in the country and many things, being oldest, but those that it is not best at are the newer subjects; Mechanical Engineering, Non-'Medicine' Medical studies, and your typically 'new age' subjects like tourism.

Now, don't get me wrong, Oxbridge is well up there or at the top with a lot of these too - Like Business, for example. But in these cases, it is because they started the courses early - ie 50 years ago there were few educational centres teaching Business. As such, it doesn't matter whether your university is 50 or 1050 years old, if it started teaching business at the same time as Oxbridge, it's probably up there - Oxbridge tops it, however, due to it's reputation in other subjects bolstering the academics going there.

So what is my point? My point is that the different universities appease different needs, just like they did before the Polytechnics because Universities. The fact the new ones are called Universities and NOT Polytechnics is largely irrelevant. They serve a purpose, and that is to train vocationally. The thing is - Employers know this, too. Polytechnics have been doing it longer and as such, in a lot of cases with vocational subjects, are amongst the best. Sure, a big business looking for a new member to middle management is going to look more favourably on 'Traditionalist' students, due to their most-likely higher academic ability. But vocational employers know their jobs, and they know that if you want a Physiotherapist or Radiographer (hopsitals won't run on Doctors alone), ex-polys are at least as good as the traditionals in many cases because they've been doing it for over 50 years, where as the 'Traditional' universities, given the existance of Polytechnics, never needed to before more recently.

So, in short - don't go to an ex-poly and do English or History, lest you be repeately beaten at high-end interviews by Bristol and Bath graduates. But frankly, for innumerate professions (such as my own, Digital Animation), the best universities are ex-polys (Bournemouth, Tees and my very own Herts rule the roost in this arena).

So please, before you start spouting, in your infinite experience of high-end business interview forumlae, that traditional grads are undeniably at an advantage, stop to think about what the job is first. And get your ****ing head out of your arse, too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit naughty, when I said top 25, I meant it was number 25 I went to St Helens in Northwood, not that you would have heard of it probably, its not one of the more well known independent schools.
    :p: pretty sneaky way of saying it. Im surprised that a school like that doesn't really train you on things like public speaking, but at the same time you didn't have to stay in after school to practice (I was very shy when i was younger). Then again I did go a very elitist and famous school and well Winchester is like Eton in that it kinda trains future political leaders and that sort of stuff ,to pocess these social skills and competitive nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Don't you read! even gap year in industry don't count so how does the summer count. Experience is working in a permanent contracted job for at least 2 years.
    Are we just talking about chambers here or generally? If we are talking generally then I'm afraid I would have to disagree most strongly there having been told by prospective employers that they have been very impressed with my experience in the chemical industry gain during my degree.

City is better than Trent
    Again I would very much have to disagree. Trent is much better than city for a lot of its courses. It also enjoys a much better reputation for research and teaching quality.

That doesn't matter, have you looked at a employer looking for employees in a company? Graduates generally don't (unless you wokred for 2 years before) have no real experience so the potential employees have no background history at the workplace. The employer is trying to find 10 people to interview for a place why should he or she waste the resources to interview all the candidates. With no experience they have no choice but to look at thier education. The place where I worked for has no new ex poly graduate because the employer looks at thier applications last, and by then a traditional university graduate would have taken the job
    This very much depends on employment sector, etc. There are many cases that I am personally aware of where individuals have been given a job on the basis of the work experience they have gained during their degree.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even argue with Vincente again. If there is an embodiment of the phrase 'ignorant goon', then he is it.

ReputationRep:
    how ignorant... any universities created BEFORE 1992, whether they were created hundreds years ago or just 40 years ago, are known as the traditional, old universities and thus are more respected by employers than the 'new' universities, the ex-polytechnics which only gained uni status in 1992. some traditional unis are better than other traditional unis, but as a group all the older ones are generally more respected than the post-92 ones. the traditional ones are ALL universities and always have been since the beginning of their existence, whereas the ex-polys are really just polytechnics and were simply named universities in 1992, so are not traditional and generally carry less respect with employers. in 15 years expolys probably won't join the traditional gang because they are still ex-polys, they were born as ex-polys and never universities.
    Good lord! I'm astounded at the level of ignorance you're displaying in this thread!

the traditional ones are ALL universities and always have been since the beginning of their existence
    You are aware Loughborough was founded as a Technological Institute, right? And it's frequently in the Top 20 list of universities. Brunel University was also founded as a technology institute. And yet you consider ALL universities from before 1992 to be traditional even though they have only been unis for 40 years?

whereas the ex-polys are really just polytechnics and were simply named universities in 1992, so are not traditional and generally carry less respect with employers.
    Depends on the subject. You wouldn't go to a Poly to study English but you would if you wanted to do Graphic Design which many ex-Polys excel in.

in 15 years expolys probably won't join the traditional gang because they are still ex-polys, they were born as ex-polys and never universities.
    I think you need a new crystal ball, dear. Stranger things have happened.

Oh, and on a final note, I don't tend to take people who write their responses like this:

how ignorant... any universities created BEFORE 1992, whether they were created hundreds years ago or just 40 years ago, are known as the traditional, old universities and thus are more respected by employers than the 'new' universities, the ex-polytechnics which only gained uni status in 1992.
    very seriously. Perhaps if your responses were on a par with mine in terms of capital letters and structures, perhaps I'd take you more seriously. As it stands, I don't.

ReputationRep:
    If we are talking generally then I'm afraid I would have to disagree most strongly there having been told by prospective employers that they have been very impressed with my experience in the chemical industry gain during my degree.
    Yes experience during your degree does count (this is the case for egineering and science degrees). But i assuemed that it was in the business and financial sector and there isin't any way to prepare someone to enter this industry without actually working in there.

Again I would very much have to disagree. Trent is much better than city for a lot of its courses. It also enjoys a much better reputation for research and teaching quality.
    The only thing I can think that trent is better at is the post graduate law course. but apart from that, thats it IMO.

This very much depends on employment sector, etc. There are many cases that I am personally aware of where individuals have been given a job on the basis of the work experience they have gained during their degree.
    Again I mean the financial sector, apologies for the generalisation.

wouldn't even argue with Vincente again. If there is an embodiment of the phrase 'ignorant goon', then he is it.
    Man this guy has a thing against me (hes been bugging everything i said all day using crtical thinking stuff on the exact words i use on each post????!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    Good lord! I'm astounded at the level of ignorance you're displaying in this thread!
    I'm pretty sure she's gone :suitc:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    England...

Fair enough, city university vs nottingham trent
    OMG… Is this a serious post or a joke…. Well I’m studying Journalism and Economics at City University and turned down Warwick and SOAS for City and have never regretted that decision. City is the best for Journalism in the country, has the 2nd best business school in London (after London Business School) competing with the likes of Kings…and it also gained it’s university status 1966; well before a lot of what your all considering “traditional universities.”

And you’re comparing City to Nottingham Trent…. As bad as some of you make City out to be… it’s not half as bad… a lot of my friends who were not taking their education seriously went to Nottingham Trent… Not out of choice but because other universities wouldn’t accept them.

I worked my ass off to get to where I am, achieved ABBB (with an A in Maths) :P ...
    And chose City believe it or not and have no regrets whatsoever, the course is going amazing and career prospects seem extremely promising.

Regards

Liina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liina)
    Is City University London an ex-polytechnic university??
    nope its not, it was a university because my dad went there in the 1970's and studied Physics. It has not got a bad reputation normally in the top 30/40 and excels in areas that few others do like Liina says Journalism and Bussiness inparticular.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.